Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Here we go again – what 29'r SS ratio
  • bunnerscj
    Free Member

Yup, its back ! 😆

What ratio do you run. I’m South Downs way and been using 32:20 all winter and spring. Find its great for climbs but just dropping to 18 seems to make so much difference when climbing and is it really worth going 19 and dropping just one tooth ?

What you lot think / use ? 🙄
    Ta

Bunners

thomthumb
    Free Member

i normally run 19 for a month between the 20 and 18. eases you in 😉

nedrapier

Coming down your way at the weekend. I’ll need to do something, as I’m currently on 48:18 for the commute. I think I’ll just slap a cassette on though.

I think I remember Rob Dean saying he used 32:18 on a 29er for his SS SDW double. I reckon there’d be no shame in going one more tooth than him!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

32:18 here but its relatively flat, where’d you get a 29T cog from?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

32:20 for me up Yorkshire way, worked well at the Kielder 100 as well

I use a 51.9″ gear for commuting and at Wiggle 6.
    I used a 48.8″ gear at Bristol Bike Fest 12.

JoB
    Free Member

32:18, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter.

Mainly used in the South Downs, but also used anywhere else the bike gets ridden, if i wanted to change gear to suit the conditions i’d take a geared bike 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

I rode 32:18 at Kielder last year, because that’s what was on the bike when it arrived a week earlier. That was also fine for Hit The North.

run what you brung

if i wanted to change gear to suit the conditions i’d take a geared bike

+1

tazzymtb

34:19 or 20 are spot on for me for riding the peak, northwales and hooning over the chase.

DeanoT
    Free Member

32:18

Lumpy Chilterns, but used everywhere else too.

Picto
    Free Member

34×20 for me. It is the ratio the good lord gave us.

Ran 32X18 for a good while, mainly due to my Yorkshire heritage and sprockets up to 18 teeth being a good bit cheaper than anything bigger.

doughboy

32:18 for me around Swinley & South Downs

takisawa2

32:18 for off-piste Cannock Chase, (its too hard/I’m too weak, for the Monkey Trail). (Not really the place for a rigid ss anyway). Perfect for my usual poncing along bridleways around Lichfield though, & occasionally Hopwas Wood (aka the Twilight Zone). I’ve kind of just got used to pushing a harder gear, as I run a WI cog so changing would be expensive.
    Superstar do a wide base cog thats about £7, cheap enough to get a couple to experiment. I ran two on mine at the same time till I came across a nice Surly wheel with the WI freewheel.

cheers_drive

I’ve run 32:20 for the past year in Bristol which has a nasty climb straight out the door to get to the trails but fairly flat once on them. A bit too spinny on the flat, last week I changed for to 34:18 for the bikefest and the test run was very enouraging and the climbs didn’t seam any worse but much better on the flat. Unfortunately I then got man flu never tried it on anger at the fest.

robbo167
    Free Member

Im South Downs based too……its 34×20 for me at the moment ,seems to work ok…could maybe drop down one…anyone got a cheap 19 tooth freewheel?

charliedontsurf

32:17 down here in Dorset.
    32:18 if I head to the mountains and remember to change my ratio.

bullheart
    Free Member

Mr Bikemonger,

Did you get my email?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Here we go again – what 29'r SS ratio’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts