Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • HELP – What have I done to my Rochshox Reba ???
  • qwerty
    Free Member

I have a 2015 Rockshox Reba, 120mm, RL, 15mm, tapered fitted to my hardtail.

Normally set the solo air to 75psi, one click of rebound damping, one notch of compression damping.

Today whilst riding on a bridleway at approx 15mph i lofted the front wheel over a hump and got it wrong as it came down, i think i had the handlebars turned too far to the left and nearly came off, the fork took full impact of my dodgy riding and fully compressed very quickly and sounded like it bottomed out hard. After that i had far too much sag in the fork & limped home with the fork locked out (no shock pump on me).

Once home i checked the left leg air spring pressure & it was 50psi, so i pumped it back to its normal 75psi. Once back at 75psi it doesn’t seem to offer any sag, i can only get about 5% of sag, dropping the psi to 60 doesn’t seem to help either.

Any ideas ❓

🙁

LoCo
    Free Member

Let all air out, pull to full extension, let air out again and then refill.

If still behaving strangely may have blown seal head in air system or bent the forks

Rickos
    Free Member

Do they have an auto negative side that you may have burped the air into? Pure guess. Have you taken all the air out and cycled them a few times?

qwerty
    Free Member

LoCo – thanks for the advice.

i’ve just tried your tip but it’s remained the same 🙁

Seems like it has far too much air in it and won’t give any sag.

I don’t think i’ve bent the fork, a seal blown sounds likely.

So, how much am i looking at? & whats your current turn around time?

qwerty
    Free Member

Have you taken all the air out and cycled them a few times?

Yes, to no avail 🙁

Tis all dry & dusty out their too!

igm

Loco knows more that me but I banged the air up very high until the forks extended and equalised then let the air out to sort a similar symptom.

It worked.

qwerty
    Free Member

igm – ok, I’ll give it a whirl, pumped up to 180psi and I’ll retry in the morning, Ta.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Had a similar event with some 150mm Revelation RCT3s the other week. Bad clunk off a jump that wouldn’t normally bottom out my forks.
    Checked pressure and down to 40PSI.

Pumped up and a week later at Cwmcarn the left stanchion seal was up by the crown. It seems that the air spring had leaked and got into the leg. The jumps there then pressurised the left leg and the seal was the weak link.

Back with Fisher-haven’t heard back yet but understand it’s a warranty issue.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Just had a call from TF Tuned; Fisher have basically replaced half the fork under warranty!

Impressed with both TF and Fisher. Had visions of it being a hideously expensive problem…

qwerty
    Free Member

I decided to perform surgery myself, if it was to all go tits up then i’d have the forks off to LoCo.

I prepped an aseptic work area.

I released the air from top of the solo air left leg.

Removed the rebound adjuster and slackened the drive side 5mm allen bolt.

As i undid the non drive side 5mm bolt in order to remove the lower legs, it released some presurised air.

I guess i’d burped some past the solo air chamber air seal and into the lower part of the leg. This unwanted presurised air was probably what was preventing me achieving any sag.

I did both 5mm bolts up. Added my 75psi of air, and bingo, i have a correectly sagging fork again.

Just needs a ride in anger to ensure that all is working well, and no damage to the air seal O ring was done.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘HELP – What have I done to my Rochshox Reba ???’ is closed to new replies.