Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help – Seized hub on XT 775 rear wheel
  • cheers_drive

3 hours into yesterdays Afan Monster my rear wheel locked solid. It ended my ride – thanks to the marshals for getting me back.
    Anyway it looks like the problem is that the allen key end cap that is supposed to be permanently fixed to the drive side of the axle has come loose so the unscrewed and wedged in the drop outs, locking the wheel. Because the end cap is now not permanently attached there is no way of undoing the locknut on the non-drive side.
    I’ve checked the tech docs and can’t other than the drive side is supposed to be permanently fixed I can’t work out how to take of the locknut to remove the axle.
    Any ideas?

cynic-al
    Free Member

send it back!

cheers_drive

It’s over a year old so not sure about warranty

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Photos? I’m having trouble visualising this.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Could you Loctite/threadlock it back together

cheers_drive

Job done-
    I put the end caps back on with the non drive side one backed off slightly. I then put the wheel back on the bike doing the QR up tight. That was enough to hold the axle whilst loosening the locknut / cone assy.
    As nicolaisam suggested I’ll now use permanent threadlock to attach the drive side one. I guess this doesn’t mean much without pictures, especially if you don’t have the wheel.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help – Seized hub on XT 775 rear wheel’ is closed to new replies.