• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by 5AM.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help – Need to Buy a Printer Today but Which One?
  • hitman
    Free Member

Been meaning to buy a printer for ages and was looking to get the Brother HL2140 Mono Laser printer which comes out at about £80. However, I need to have a printer today as I have some very important work I need to print out today. So what would people recommend at up to around £100, doesn’t need to be colour and should be relatively cheap to run? Also it needs to be available from Comet/Currys/PC World/Argos for store pick up today. At the moment I dont think any of them do the Brother printer.

Any help from the IT crew would be much appreciated.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I got one of these a couple of months back and cant fault it. http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laser-Printers/buy-SAMSUNG-ML-1660-Laser-Printer/698369

Dino
    Free Member

Kodak ones have lowest ink cost, printer costs a bit more as I think they dont sell the printer at a loss or at cost etc..

hitman
    Free Member

Zulus – ive just been looking at the samsung but one of the reviews on Amazon says that it leaves massive track lines on the paper as the mechansism has been over tightened. Have you found any problems with this?
    Also did you manage to find one in store?
    Dino can you recommend a Kodak one that you use?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

No problems with black lines on any paper here. Found lots in store. I like you took a notion to buy a printer then went out and got one the same day. Toner cartridge that comes with it has 750 pages worth in it, normal full cartridge have 1500 pages and cost around £40 i think.

hitman
    Free Member

Cheers for help, think I’m going to get that one
    Because of where I live, I still have a 2hour round trip to collect from the store as the relatively local (ie hopeless) Currys/Comet dont have it in stock and are probably still selling the model from a few years back!
    there is a higher model that Currys/PC World are doing that they have at almost half price which looks excellent but none in stock near by and means 4 hours in the car if I want to collect!!

Hairychested
    Free Member

HP LaserJet 1018, have been using for some years and never had any problems. Bought from PC World.

Flaperon

If it’s really important, can you take it to a print shop and get them to do it? Also hotels will print but probably at a charge if you’re not a guest.

5AM
    Free Member

Be wary of buying the latest all singing all dancing printers if you think you may like to use re manufactured cartridges (either because they are greener or cheaper.)
    There is normally a time delay of about 6-12 months before re manufacturing is possible, also the OEM’s are making it harder all the time.
    Really you need to decide if you want a laser or ink printer, and of course how much you are likely to be printing.

5AM
    Free Member

Link above to the Samsung 1860 I can tell you cannot be re manufactured yet; in fact at the moment it’s probably a good idea to stay away from Samsung and Lexmark lasers as their coding on the chips is proving a nightmare to “crack.”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help – Need to Buy a Printer Today but Which One?’ is closed to new replies.