Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • HELP! MY BRAKES DON'T WORK!!!!
  • jonrambo
    Free Member

Help,i have some hope tech 2 brakes and they just don't seem to work anymore which i can't understand, i've only had them a couple of months and i clean them down and lube them with wd40 after every ride, what could it be? any suggestions will be much appreciated, thanks, jon.

stumpy01

Are you using the right WD-40?

montylikesbeer

WD40 over the whole brake assembly including the pads and disk ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickc

where do I collect my £5

Eccles
    Free Member

Are you posting this from a smartphone whilst riding? If so, the FIRST this to do is to get your foot onto the back wheel and try and scrub off a bit of speed that way.

The second thing to do is to lay off the cleaning and ESPECIALLY the WD40

Liftman

I find GT85 works better than WD40 on the pads.

montylikesbeer

WD40 belongs over old lawn mowers and the like not brakes.

foxyrider
    Free Member
    jonrambo
    Free Member

yes i use wd40 to clean the discs after every ride, seems good at getting the dirt off, is it not powerfull enough? very frustrated! 🙁

wwaswas

jon rambo – occupation trawler man

I didn't know trolls fished as well…

ianpinder
    Free Member

Is this a wind up?

stumpy01

yes i use wd40 to clean the discs after every ride, seems good at getting the dirt off, is it not powerfull enough? very frustrated!

Perhaps you're not rubbing hard enough??

To be honest, the main thing is that your brakes are spotlessly clean, which it sounds like you are achieving so I wouldn't worry too much.

Sui
    Free Member

probably i'd say, although i did see a classic at Cody many years back. Husabdn and Wife (or more likely husband and bit on the side) 2 VERY shinny new VERY expensive bikes – post ride, the bloke jet washes them both then proceeds to librally (sp) apply a can of GT85 over every single part of the bike including special privilage to the brakes – wife comes back, gives her the bike back and off she pedals – dunno what happened..

foxyrider
    Free Member

Move along he's bored 🙂

NIce storey Sui though 🙂

Sui
    Free Member

made us all giggle and stand there in wonder debating whether we should tell this fellow the errors of his way… we didn't obviously..

jonrambo
    Free Member

ok thanks guys, i'll try gt85 then, hope this cures it as i ended up going through a red light the other day on my way to work, because the brakes would'nt work, and i feel really bad for it, i could'nt sleep lastnight worrying the cameras had caught me! 🙁

dgrider
    Free Member

I alway use wd 40. What a great product. Keep on cleaning them brake Jon…
    Johnny B…..

Frankers
    Free Member

Sui – Member
    probably i'd say, although i did see a classic at Cody many years back. Husabdn and Wife (or more likely husband and bit on the side) 2 VERY shinny new VERY expensive bikes – post ride, the bloke jet washes them both then proceeds to librally (sp) apply a can of GT85 over every single part of the bike including special privilage to the brakes – wife comes back, gives her the bike back and off she pedals – dunno what happened..
    POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Haha yeah I was there!! they had a pair of Giant full suspension bikes, I saw him lube all the pivots with GT85 before they went out for their pootle round.

It was either late 2006 or early 2007

Waderider
    Free Member

I'll take this one off on a tangent. About 1995, pal has squeaking canti's. He's a bit gullible, and we're a crowd of lads, so Big John suggests he lubes his rims to stop the brake squeal.

The following weekends blast, Simon of the squeaking brakes turns up with complaints of poor braking. "John, I have to tell you that you helped me fix the squeal, but…….."

Never underestimate the stupidity of a human 😯 😆

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

ha. its funny because people out there do do it. i have cleaned many a rotor doused in the dreaded wd-40. the best one is when they lube up the bottom bracket and hubs with the stuff and strip the grease out. carry on simpletons you pay my wages.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘HELP! MY BRAKES DON'T WORK!!!!’ is closed to new replies.