Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Help me decide which disc brakes?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

FOr the last couple of years I have barely ridden my bike, and now with baby looming I am determined to get back on it !?!? I got the bike out the other day and the front disc is almost siezed on. Even with manipulation if the cylinder etc after a couple of stops it seizes again.

SPeaking to the LBS they have suggested that rather than trying to keep them going it would be better to buy a more modern shiny set (seeing as though they are now approx 5 years old Hayes discs)

So seeing as though I haven't got a clue whats good these days, what would you recommend for my Gary Fisher Cake II? I mainly do XC riding, so do not need a DH set up. I guess I would need the full brake set?

So whats the best (money no concern) and whats the best value for money?

Thanks in advance

jasonm945
    Free Member

I like Hopes, my son in law likes Avids, my mate likes shimano's etc.
    What model Hayes are they and are they completely knacked, not that much has changed since 2005 and CRC have an extensive range of spares!

Jay

epicsteve
    Free Member

Best value for money is Deore.

z1ppy

personnaly I'd check out yuo current hayes first, though the piston do tend to corrode quite well, and at some point it's been more worthwhile buying new hayes (on sale) and selling you old un's on, than repairing…

Otherwise Hopes, just becuase you can get spares, which is more important to me.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Hayes are simply horrible. Totally on/off – no modulation. Go for Hope, Shimano or Avid – all commonly available.

DickBarton

I'd get a service kit for the Hayes and get them sorted…no point spending all that extra cash on a new brakeset with a child on the way…you'll start feeling bad about not using the bike often enough…fix what you have and if you do end up riding a lot more then look at upgrades…

Nowt wrong with Hayes when they are all set up, but depends if you like a squidgy feeling brake lever or not – I don't so love the feel of the Hayes…not sure what this modulation thing is as my brakes are never on or off, they do seem to have varying levels of on-ness – they can lock the wheels up or let them drag if necessary…

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Shimano XT. No question.

Thread closed.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would go for repair first of all.

simply lubing the piston might do the trick
    Pads out hold in moving piston and pump lever until the stuck one is partly out, lube with either brake fluid orred rubber grease and wrk it in and out a few times.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

if you say money is no concern then Hope tech x2 for XC, either that or Juicy Ultimates, Formula Rl or whatever the top of the range are called (super light and get top scores)

njee20
    Free Member

Avid XX if money's no concern, Juicy Ultimates are positively old hat now! XXs come out more powerful than most 'trail' brakes, whilst being among the lightest out there. Very impressed with mine!

XT if money's more of an issue.

DT78
    Free Member

I have quite a selection on my bikes….magura louise, avid juicy 3, hope mono mini(black/silver), hope x2 & shimano LX.

For my money I would be buying second hand mono minis (they are better& lighter than x2 imo) or shimano XT/SLX.

soobalias
    Free Member

did you just speak to the lbs, or did they inspect the current brakes.

if you are spanner capable, take a look at them yourself.

favourites money no option – Hopes tech X2
    vfm – deore or julies
    my choice – louises

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Hayes are a pain and when they go, they go for good. No point bothering with them if you can afford to buy some new brakes. Go for Shimano XT, best on the market (second only to XTR) and they are very easy to maintain so if you do need them bleeding etc., in the future then your LBS will love you 😀

vrapan
    Free Member

If money is no concern get a pair of XTR levers, XT calipers and rotors, about 250£ total. Best value for money the latest Deore get great recommendations all around and the whole thing won't cost much more than 100£

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info.

Another LBS will do me front and rear deore 525 for £120 fitted, so I think I'll go for that. Is that a good deal?

If I get out on the bike enough, I am sure in not too long I'll be wanting a new bike, so no point spending a fortune on brakes at this stage I dont think.

vrapan
    Free Member

The 525s are one or two generations behind, one of the Deore not sure if it was the 575 or the 525 were not well received at all. The Deore I was referring (and I assume pretty much everyone that suggested them) are the latest 595 models. You can get them 110£ online and get someone to fit them for you for 15-20£

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

vrapan is that £110 for F&R or just one end?

I'm can't see them at that price for a full set ?!?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Funky they are £55 an end on most sites, so £110 for the whole set.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

All that I can see is £55 for the caliper. Then I'd have to buy rotors and leaver as well, or am I really missing the deals?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

thats 55 with lever mate, picture just shows caliper though.

tinsy
    Free Member

525's are a good brake for not a lot, but wouldnt have thought they was much of an upgrade, unless all you currently have is dragging your feet..

Pretty sure the 575 is a 525 in a pimp suit.

Cant help you further than that except if you can make it to SLX or even old Deore/LX you wont go far wrong..

funkydunc you could be missing the deals.. you could maybe save some money potentialy by re using the rotors you have.

JonR
    Free Member

I have Shimano XTR M975 on both my bikes cos I'm a snob but if it were a decision between value, performance and ease of maintainance I'd probably buy Shimano SLX

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

The 2-piece caliper 525s are poor. I've had a set.

There is an o-ring in between the two caliper halves and once that starts failing then it's pretty much game over as they will always leak even with a new o-ring (they're fitted in the factory properly). Mine failed after about 1 year. Not impressed. The power was also very disappointing and the pads died really quickly. I would never buy them again. A second hand set of XT / 2-pot Saints would cost about £100(ish)and are much much better. More power, more modulation and they're so much more dependable.

Shimano SLX are another good call if you're buying new. The lever is really nice and they are very popular as a budget Downhill brake, but they come at almost trail-brake prices. Bargain!

I'd bag a set of Juicy 5s. They're an extra £10 an end but more than worth it. The power is actually pretty good, they aren't that heavy and have reasonable modulation. Either that or a second hand set of Hopes, something like a Mono M4 (probably about £100-120 for a decent set, but Hopes can be made to feel fresh out the box easily because spares are easy to get hold of and they're designed to be rebuildable)

As for your current brakes I wouldn't touch Hayes with a bargepole myself as the pistons have a habit of rotting unless you give them loads of TLC (not likely to happen if a baby's on the way), and that appears to have happened to yours.

vrapan
    Free Member

They are 110£ with levers but not rotors. You might wanna check the classifieds, bought my XTs for a very similar price including rotors.

Also don't see buying a decent pair of brakes as a waste. Most bikes around 1000£ mark will come with a flavour of Juicy's (3/4/5) . Juicy's are IME total rubbish, hose the bike down and the pad retention clip falls and it is a proper pain to put back on, they always rub no matter what you do to straighten them are horrible to bleed and they have always felt mushy to me.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Help me decide which disc brakes?’ is closed to new replies.