• This topic has 46 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Help – I've blown my turbo!!
  • singletrackmind

I have a Passat tdi pd 100 . More or less the same engine. I think you need to check if yours has a VVT turbo. The Vanos ones, possibly the mechanism for that has failed. Either way its a new blower , but check for end float by whipping off the inlet and feeling for some free play, around .5mmm is normal, more than 2mm , bearings shot. the oil under pressure takes up the rest of the slack at 80,000 rpm.
    Might be EGR, Might be massive head gasket failure. IIRC parafin is best for washing out intercoolers and pipework.
    Still reckon take it apart yourself, then get an exchange unit.
    AS mentioned its the manifold to turbo studs that will ruin your day.
    Do you let the engine cool before switching off? A hot turbo at 300 -400 'C will glow nicely and when switched off the oil sits in the middle boiling and coking up, eventually turning to coal and blocking the gallery.

allthegear
    Free Member

You have to let a PD 100 turbo cool too?? I used to have an Impreza with the silly Prodrive Performance Pack and religiously used to make sure the engine had idled for a while before switching off but now I have "grown up" and moved to a diesel Skoda, I never really think about it – maybe I should!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

If your turbo is watercooled, or you don't drive like a madman right up to your front door and switch off you've no need to cool it specifically. Idling with a turbo to cool it is actually about the worst possible way of cooling it back down, you want to cruise off-boost for a mile or so before switching off – turbo timers are the spawn of the devil!.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Just seen my car – technician says impeller has snapped in the turbo – Audi OEM turbo £1200!!!!! And as they are Audi dealer they won't fit anything none Audi!

Spoken to green flag and it'll cost £100 to tow my car to another garage.

The saga continues!!!

hamishthecat
    Free Member

check your insurance. A colleague at work broke down recently (MR2 waterpump) and his insurance paid for tow to a garage where they quoted him £600 – and his insurance coughed up for a tow to another garage where he'd had a quote of £280.

DT78
    Free Member

Can't help with the turbo, but my cat went on my 206 a few years back, I was quoted obscene prices by garages, in the end I got one of the web (cats direct I seem to remember) for £100 and fitted it myself, and I'm pretty mechanical useless and it was stupidly easy to do.

If it's gone it will sound like the exhaust is full of broken glass when you shake it.

Garages said you had to replace the whole exhaust system, but all I did was take it apart and shake the bits out.

Worked absolutely fine, cat's still going strong 5 years on.

hora
    Free Member

ou have to let a PD 100 turbo cool too?? I used to have an Impreza with the silly Prodrive Performance Pack and religiously used to make sure the engine had idled for a while before switching off but now I have "grown up" and moved to a diesel Skoda, I never really think about it – maybe I should!!

On any turbo Scooby you have to do this after you've thrashed it/driven it fast. Otherwise the oil fries inside the turbo apparently.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Help – I've blown my turbo!!’ is closed to new replies.