• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by bigG.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Help, cooking dinner tomorrow, need inspirational ideas
  • bigG
    Free Member

So I’m a half decent cook but my creative juices have run dry (it’s been a tough week at work).

We’ve got friends coming round for dinner tomorrow night, main course is sorted (Chicken with blue cheese sauce). I need suggestions for a light ish starter, not seafood and a dessert.

Wife is a fan of pavlova but the raspberries and strawberries are past their best. What other fruit would work well, and is in season?

The pressure is on to produce a good meal, the couple that are joining us have a friendly rivalry with us about cooking better dinners every time we get together!

So what does the singletrack culinary collective have to suggest?

Cheers!

PS I know I could rummage through my vast collection of cook books but to be honest I can’t be bothered right now.

G (off to open a bottle of Malbec to try to ease the stress of the week)

donsimon
    Free Member

If you’ve got the main course sorted, my suggestion os spag bol isn’t go to be of benefit, is it?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

hows about a panacotta with red berries?

tonight i’m making chocolate and beetroot brownies – could be interesting…

grum
    Free Member

The pressure is on to produce a good meal, the couple that are joining us have a friendly rivalry with us about cooking better dinners every time we get together!

ps does this win an award for STW’s most middle class thread of the week, can anyone beat it? 😛

Cranachan for an easy pud?

AndyRT
    Free Member

Simple grilled goats chese starter on green salad with home made French dressing

dessert: apricot frangipan tart from book art of the tart

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Starter…grilled asparagus (it’s still around in M&S) with parmesan crisps…the ones you make by grating parmesan and then frying a spoonful on a pan will it melts. Remove and allow to harden.

Dessert…Pavlova? Rivalry?

Go for a killer lemon/lime cheesecake instead. I’m only expanding on hungry monkey’s suggestion of a pannacotta. Or a tarte au citron? Tarte tatin? Bramleys in season at the moment. Rhubarb crumble with creime fraiche?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Desert has to be banoffee pie

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Starter: boiled egg and soldiers
    Sweet: tin of quality street
    Hth

crikey
    Free Member

Heinz tomato soup to start, Angel Delight with a Flake to finish.

catfood
    Free Member

Dessert, I would say tart tatin, dead easy to make, you can prepare it before hand, let it cool and just roll out the pastry and pop it on top and put it in the fridge, then just put it in the oven as you start your main. Rick Steins recipe is very good, best served with vanilla ice cream.

Do not use bramleys, use cox apples or similar.

bigG
    Free Member

Would make tarte tatin but that was on the menu last time they came round. Looks like panacotta wins so far, so first course suggestions?

d45yth
    Free Member

Don’t make anything you haven’t made before! It could go horribly wrong otherwise. 🙂

catfood
    Free Member

Asparagus wrapped in parma ham, a little bulsamic reduction and topped with a poached egg, or maybe a little bit risotto, grilled sweet red pepper and goats cheese is good. Shame no seafood, scallops in some form is always a winner.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jamie at home is good for ideas or the Chicken Stew from his Italy book just double the chicken and chianti content!

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Banana is quite nice on Pavlova. Maybe with some tasted almonds for extra crunch.

How about a starter of Watercress, Beetroot (preferably still warm – cut in chunks) and grilled Halloumi, with a dressing of oil (olive or rape) and White wine vinegar, with added chopped capers. All strong flavours, but work well together and V easy as Salad and dressing can be prepared beforehand and Halloumi and beetroot are pretty much impossible to muck up.

My own creation, but tried successfully at a recent dinner do we had. Just keep the portion sizes down so as to keep the overall effect light.

sturmey
    Free Member

Tinned fruit and a can of evap for pud, starter could be bovril soup change the main to tonge then remind them it’s a theme night “naff food from your childhood”

Lactic
    Free Member

I’ve not posted for months but can’t resist a bit of foodie pretentiousness.

Don’t serve asparagus, it’s out of season regardless of what m&s stock. I’d go for a caramelised red onion tart with or without goats cheese as a starter and Raymond Blancs tarts tatin for pud.

bigG
    Free Member

For the record dinner was –

Puff pasty tartlets with red onion marmalade and goats cheese, served with a small rocket salad.

Chicken in blue cheese sauce, rumbledethump potatoes, broccoli and green beens.

Pannacota with raspberry & blackberry coulis.

Wines were –

2005 Heartlands Directors Cut Shiraz – been keeping this one for four years and boy was it worth the wait.
    2005 Chateau de la Roche, Moelleux – very very good too.

All in all a lovely dinner. Thanks for all the help

Jamesy
    Free Member

mmm, sounds nice ive just eaten tuna from the can, not so good

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fish finger jenga!

that is genius, Grum.

OP – made the brisket chilli con carne from jamie cooks summer today. Impressive and very easy, you’ll get it on 4od.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Chicken in blue cheese sauce? Ewww.

bigG
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Chicken in blue cheese sauce? Ewww.

It all depends on the blue cheese, not disliking cheese is a bit of a prerequisite. I used shropshire blue as it gives a lovely flavour without the power of stilton.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Help, cooking dinner tomorrow, need inspirational ideas’ is closed to new replies.