• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help a luddite choose a smart phone…please!
  • lister

Mrs Lister is finally ready to move on from her old Nokia…and she’s decided to make the jump to something with all the whistles and bells.
    She’ll use it for calls, texts, tinternet/facebook stuff and no doubt will get sucked into various apps…

Now, we don’t have a scooby about what is good/bad/in the ascendancy etc, we’ve no loyalty to a brand and don’t have an ipod so don’t have music locked up with apple’s system.

Our kids have used iphones for angry birds and that is all they are worried about (can you get that on non iphones?!)

So it’s iphone, HTC thingy or what? On a cheap as possible Orange contract.

Thanks for any help!

geoffj

HTC Desire or iPhone

There are other options, but those two are the best at the moment. I’ve had both and the iPhone just edges it IMHO

yossarian
    Free Member

iPhone

headfirst
    Free Member

HTC desire

carlosg
    Free Member

Just upgraded our phones on saturday , mrscarlos got an iPhone 4 and I got a Samsung Galaxy S2. We took the iPhone back yesterday cos she didn’t like it and swapped it for a 2nd Samsung.

It just seems like an easier to understand/use phone all round especially if you’re upgrading from a non smart type phone.

You can get angry birds for android too 😀

lister

Carlosg – that’s an important bit of information!

Here’s a random extra question… can you get a cable that will connect a smart phone to a car stereo that has a USB port but not a standard jack input to listen to the tunes?

TrekEX8
    Free Member

This shoulkd help you to decide….. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Del

ummm…. probably. you can have an android ( i have a desire which i really like, actually my second. there was a, err, canal incident. anyway… ) phone behave like a memory card to a PC, so it should do the same for your car stereo i’d have thought. cable will come with the phone.
    aim for under 25 quid/month for 18 months, ~600 minutes, ~600 texts, unlimited data. also, t-mobile share network with orange now, so you get access to their masts, and also their gimmicks ( orange wednesdays etc. ), so it might be worth looking at them too.
    i bought through buymobilephones.net IIRC.

rs
    Free Member

Here’s a random extra question… can you get a cable that will connect a smart phone to a car stereo that has a USB port but not a standard jack input to listen to the tunes?

My galaxy s won’t work with my stereo’s usb port, it can work with a standard aux cable, although it will charge through the usb, i just chuck my music on a usb stick and keep my phone in my pocket.

CountZero

The dock cable that an iPhone uses goes straight into the USB port on car stereos, because iPod/iPhone connectivity is pretty much universal across car audio manufacturers. I don’t think you’ll find the same can be said for Android, there’s too much variation across the different handsets that use the OS, same with Windows Phone7. That’s also why you’ll find dozens of iPod/iPhone docks, but no equivalent for Android, as the charge/data ports are all in different places.

steveoath
    Free Member

I use a Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro – bit of a mouthful but does what i need it to do. Its small, but has a slide out keyboard so typing is easy. I hate big phones so this one is great.

Cougar

On a cheap as possible Orange contract.

That’ll be an iPhone 3GS or a San Francisco, then.

Angry Birds is on iPhone and Android (and free on the latter).

iPhone and Android are kinda similar and kinda different; the biggest difference coming to it blind is going to be personal preference. I have an Android phone (HTC Desire) and wouldn’t swap, my OH has an iPhone 4 (and woldn’t swap).

lister

Thanks folks…MrsLister may be along with some questions soon!

Oxboy
    Free Member

I have upgraded recently, the shortlist was iphone4 or desire s
    I went for the desire s. I thought it was as good as the iphone, £10 a month cheaper and with no upfront cost for the handset.
    I’m on 3 also, seems the network with all the best deals at the moment.

beej

As mentioned, an android phone can be set to look like a removable drive when connected via a standard USB cable to a PC – so no reason it wouldn’t work with a USB port on a car stereo.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Just go to a phone shop and get your hands on what’s available. Play around in the menus and utilities and it should be fairly obvious, fairly quickly, which one(s) you like.

IanW
    Free Member

Iphone or one of the iphone copies if moneys a bit tight.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help a luddite choose a smart phone…please!’ is closed to new replies.