Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 177 total)
  • Hello you orrible lot.
  • FoxyChick
    Free Member

Good luck with whatever you choose to do sharki.
    But I can't help wondering what will happen to your kids if their Mother also gets fed up of the "rat race" and decides to go off on her own.
    Would you hand them over to the social services?

sharki
    Free Member

FC, i would like them to be in the most stable and suitable place of care, which i cannot and have never been able to provide.

One day i might be able to provide that, until then they're in good safe hands.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Maybe you should have a read of your opener on your "upsetting things your kids say" thread!

alpin
    Free Member

once one sharki…..

my aunt topped herself a year or two back. i can honestly say her kids, all her sisters (my mum and another aunt found her), family and friends would be happier if they knew she was plodding about being happy rather than being eaten by worms and other critters next to her mum in a graveyard.

the pills she was given didn't help; the problems she was having were temporarily swept under the rug.

i, too, agree that the way in which our society functions is a load of shite. too many possesions, too many responsibilities, too many worries, too much work.

maybe we need people in life doing what you are doing to help balance things out.

the rat race is a lifestyle choice, just the same as living in a log cabin eating pine needles is a life style choice. just because it's the most commonnly exercised in our society doesn't make it the best for everyone. it's certainly not for me.

and i disagree that happiness is just a fleeting emotion. sadness, pain, hunger are fleeting emotions.

i'm sure his kids will understand (i'm assuming they are relatively young) when they are older why he went walkabouts.

if you're in germany at any point, lettuce know. es gibt ein bierchen oder zwei…

J

konaman
    Free Member

Good luck with all your travels skarki. I cant say ive been in your shoes but was depressed a few years back from doing the same routine over and over. Feeling free is the best thing to do!!…
    (and ignore all the ignorant, unwanted comments on here!)
    all riders should be friends, this should be a friendly forum, back him up on his travels if its what he wants to do, he wants to go riding at the end of the day!! Good luck mate. 8)

takisawa2

Not going to judge you, dont know you. But sincerely hope you find what it is your looking for. Dont forget to touch base with those offspring though, if you cant be there in body at least let them know your with them in spirit. They'll understand why your doing what your doing, maybe not for a while but they will one day so stay in touch.
    Good luck mate.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

All the best for your journey, i hope you find what you need. I think what you are doing is a good thing, and it takes courage to get off the rat race and leave it all behind – wish i could do the same! Say hello when you are up this way 🙂

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Got a big hedge that needs cut. I'm in edinburgh and have some spare LX shifters for your inbred if you need them, otherwise, a meal and a kip on my floor if you want. email in profile.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Sharki – I'm asking this because I'm genuinely interested. Please rest assured it's not meant in any mocking sense.

Reading your comments about how much greed YOU see in the world, and how YOU see people being materialistic and how it angers YOU, are you not still going to see all of those things in the world and still feel the same anger about it except this time it'll be from a different location?

I'm struggling a bit to see how your lifestyle change improves how you see the rest of us living, especially when you are still, essentially, reliant on 'the rat race' just without your own actual possesions, job, etc.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Sharki, good luck with it, you will need plenty of it.
    I can't say I agree with your motives but so long that you're ok with yourself….
    There's a hot meal for you at mine, in Ireland or wherever I'll be by then. And a glass or two of some red wine too.

knottie8
    Free Member

Sharki
    Thank f##k we didnt find you swinging from that tree ! It was a scarey time searching with the police. I'd like to add something positive but cant find the words.

molgrips
    Free Member

This is all very interesting actually. I fully understand and sympathise with Sharki – although suicide isn't on my mental radar, I do feel desperately and profoundly sad sometimes about life slipping away one work-day at a time. I won't judge on the rights or wrongs of going walkabout of course. But this section is fairly revealing.

I look at the world and see only suffering from greed, jealously of another mans assets, i see stress and unhappiness as people go about their obligations to fit in, to have the next gadget, fine food, a holiday, a life.
    I sit and watch people hanker after better things, then complain that there's rubbish on their £1000 tele, the cars broken down again, a newer model whatever is out and i need it to make their life easier.

There is a lot of that around, quite right. But there's a lot of other stuff too. We have a tendency to think of life as this great institution that swallows everyone up and makes you conform. Reinforced in popular culture many times over (remember the 'choose life' bit from Trainspotting etc etc).

However, this is not how it really is of course. You can make life however you want it. Or you should be able to. If you feel you can't, then that's something to work on. One of the main problems with depression is that you can only see one side of things, the bad side. Which then makes you depressed…

My lifestyle is a work in progress currently. It may take a few more years before I can truly say I am where I want to be, and there will be slip-ups. But the rat race it will definitely not be. When I finally make it to where I want to be, my family will be there too. I'm fortunate, they share my ideas (at least my wife does!).

I have to say though that from the few posts you've made it sounds like your family might be part of the problem. Perhaps something that the readers of this thread might bear in mind. Not everyone's family works for everyone concerned all the time – unfortunately.

user-removed
    Free Member

At least give the pros a chance Sir. If they don't manage to sort you out then by all means, go walkabout.

Given your posts over the last wee while, I can't help feeling that you're teetering on the edge of the precipice.

No matter how far you run, you're still in the place where you are.

sharki
    Free Member

At midnight i'm not going to begin try to answer all the individual comments here.

In fact even in the morning i won't either.

What is a culture?
    An integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that depends upon the capacity for symbolic thought and social learning.

The set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution, organization or group.

Don't try and change who people are, your culture may not suit others just because of the country they're from because that just creates wars.

What i'm saying is, normal for you has never felt normal for me, i don't change just the option to chose.

DrP

I look at the world and see only suffering from greed, jealously of another mans assets, i see stress and unhappiness as people go about their obligations to fit in, to have the next gadget, fine food, a holiday, a life.
    I sit and watch people hanker after better things, then complain that there's rubbish on their £1000 tele, the cars broken down again, a newer model whatever is out and i need it to make their life easier.
    Then there's Tax, you pay tax on income, whats left you put in the bank and get taxed on saving it, so you spend it and pay tax on that. If there's anything left you can leave it there for a rainy day, or you never get to spend it, well that's useful.

Hmm, slightly worrying views there.

You must be aware there IS more 'to life' than that though, hence your 'search'. There are a multitude of mechanisms for finding the 'nice stuff in life', be it prescribed pharmecuticals or by altering lifestyle choices/holidays etc, however, by 'upping and leaving' everything behind you really are only doing just that – upping and leaving everything behind!

Your views of what you'll do when you get ill are also quite concerning – the "leave me to die attitude, it's my time" would only really be happily accepted by most in the very elderly or terminally ill. What will you do if you get a scratch on a thorn? Lie there, waiting to die, or accept simple antibiotics to treat the potentially fatal cellulitis you may develop?

Running away from life and all it's troubles is quite an appeaing idea at times, but in reality 'life' will always be there, and perhaps the appropriate response to your issues would be to try to re-integrate yourself with it in order to function 'properly' as a human? This doesn't mean aiming for a high powered job with a 50" plasma at home, but maybe it means having a role, a job of sorts, a position in society?

Anyway… in the end, most people end up doing what they want regardless of the implications of their actions…….

The comments of "it's your life, you live it, do want you want" are all well and true, but if everyone stuck to that idea we'd all end up in a world of sociopathic maniacs driving monster trucks through football crowds, or taking pop-shots down high-streets with a high powered sniper rifle….. showing some restraint to your wishes/desires in order to prevent causing gross unhappiness to others isn't a sign of weakness, it's a sign of being human…..

DrP

LHS
    Free Member

You do realise that you can still live a rich and varied life without joining the rat race and without running away from your responsibilities right?

All the work for food, bike parts etc stuff – great, varied work will be guaranteed. But why not do it within close proximity to those who

a) Need you and
    b) Can help you?

Running away on a "journey" is not the answer.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Sharki – all this about having and wanting no cash – new Laptop 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

sociopathic maniacs driving monster trucks through football crowds, or taking pop-shots down high-streets with a high powered sniper rifle

where do I sign?

molgrips
    Free Member

Don't try and change who people are

We weren't, I don't think.

Change your life to suit you and your fam – long term, is my approach.

Not judging you tho mate 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think you have a bit of gypsy blood in you 😉

On a practical note: what kind of gearing system are you wanting to put on your 456? 3×9, 2×9, 1×9, SLX, XT?

5lab

house in Brighton with a spare room and built-in bike workshop if you need a service or somewhere to kip. Front garden could do with digging out or bricking over (if you can do brickwork)

molgrips
    Free Member

Wanna lay a patio?

sharki
    Free Member

5lab, I am a bricky by trade and will be going to Brighton to see a friend, if it's not getting too late in the year, i'll gladly help you out.

However, a little concerned of your offer to service me given where you live 😉

Molgrips, maybe, if i make it to Wales this year..

I've had lots of mailed requests to lay patios. Does the STW massive plan to knock off their wives and get me to bury them? Then they can get to travel too… 😉

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Sharki, I don't know you and maybe I never will, but if you ever find yourself anywhere in or around Northants there is always food here for you, and a bed if you need or want it (email in profile)

I don't think that you'll find yourself out in the world, perhaps you should search inside yourself? you may find distractions for a while but once you return you will still have a lot to deal with.

As for the ratrace, it's for fools! two kinds really those that see it for what it is and hate it, and those that go on about going along with it and excepting resposibility.

The rich own us and use every bit of leverage they can, love for our children, resposibilty, social circumstance, the longer we go along with the ratrace the more powerful they become.

Since they are only concerned with money, power or influence and not quality of life and the development and evolution of our species, having them in charge of the resources and thus future of our species is not a good idea.

Incase anyone hasn't noticed the world is in a bad way just now, we work longer and longer hours get paid less and less and are manipulated at every turn.

We all of us have less real lives and go along with what is expected of us, buying useless clothes and consumer electronics, all manner of clutter. If you want to get away from it and put things into perspective, sounds good to me.

As for your kids, that's between you and them, kids get a rough time of it these days. Schools are for the most part psychological war zones. TV teaches them that nonsense is cool and that idiocy rocks! They are expected to go along with the ratrace even though most people they know are unhappy.

Should unhappy people be giving anyone advise?

If you're going off to think about your life, put it into perspective and figure out a way to find a balance and be happy somewhere, sounds like a plan.

If all your going to do is distract yourself and run away, you'll just have more to deal with when you get back!

Freedom lies in the hearts and minds of those, with the strength and force of will to venture within and claim it.

Ridefree!

druidh
    Free Member

Anyone else see the irony in TJ – convinced we should be taxed higher to pay for the cost of services – supporting sharki – a man committed to avoiding paying tax which will be required to support, educate and treat his children?

Sorry laddie, but it's called RESPONSIBILITY and it's something you took on when you decided to bring your children into the world. You don't get out of it because things are a "bit tough".

yunki
    Free Member

Take your kids with you sharki.. bring 'em up good and feral with a healthy sense of right and wrong.. and then set them loose to feast on all the brainwashed subordinate hypocrisy that has badgered you on this thread..

unfortunately it will probably taste as bitter as it sounds..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

things are a "bit tough"

Did you miss the bit about the rope and the tree? It's clear he is not well enough to fully assume these responsibilities at the moment. His family are safe and secure, so his primary responsibility is to improve his own health, is it not? He's doing that in his own way and without being a drain on the health service.

What about our responsibility to support a friend who is trying to deal with their health problems?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Give the dude a break. He's had a tough few years, is struggling in life, and needs to find himself.

He's no good to his kids as a basket case or 6ft under, or locked in a mental institution anyway, so why don't you quit the judgemental stuff and let him be on his way? Its not YOUR life he's affecting is it?

We all have to make our own choices in our life. Just because he's making choices that you wouldn't make doesn't make him wrong.

jonb
    Free Member

Saw this and thought of the thread

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/greenerliving/7951968/The-man-who-lives-without-money.html

did you ever get a blog going. If you hurry up and make it to Newcastle I've got hundreds of jobs need doing on my house and I could return the favour of a few years (doesn't seem that long!) and show you/take you to some riding spots.

Trampus
    Free Member

Sharki, I caught myself trying to use this thread as an 'explanation/apology' for my own life experiences. That would be wrong of me.

I've got tons of work that needs doing. If I can't be arrised doing it myself, though, it can't be all that important!

If, however, you are passing this way, there is always a brew on the go. I might even push the boat out and provide <substitute biscuit of choice>!

There is a lot of truth to be found from the kindness of strangers, even if you, at first, think they are being negative.

Take care.

mboy
    Free Member

If you're passing through Worcester on your way up to Scotland, and you need a bed, some food and what not for a night or 2, then please feel free to get in touch… I always cook way too much food anyway, and am more than happy to give shelter to a fellow MTBer…

If it made you feel any better, I'm sure I could let you do some odd jobs around the house… The bush outside our house is very overgrown right now, and the Garage could do with a good sort out! 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

My local area could really do with someone to come and liaise with the ASBO youths who cause other residents untold grief. If you could come and deal with that, you'll have many a place to stay, and all the food you can eat.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I dont know you sharki, and if I'm honest, I'm unaffected by your life choice and therefore in no position to judge. I would, however, suggest that you re-read the posts on this thread from the female members of this forum, as they seem to be coming from a far more grounded place. Just a thought…

sharki
    Free Member

All this talk of paying taxes etc….i could just get signed off work as a mental health patient, be given accommodation and benefits, or even sectioned and get food provided for me too, both of which i'm sure my kids would look at me and be proud of their father…

Perhaps i could continue trying out different meds and continue the counselling, so i can tell the pros how i don't fit in and why, maybe i should not be happy and live with regret and bitterness that i could've felt alive in a way i know works for me.

Yes, yes, it's all clear now, i should step back into the way of life i've had since leaving school as it's clearly been the right way for ME, there was a time when i had control of finances, i wanted to stay put and not explore further than my own nether regions, i've always wanted a home with stability, a dog and a car and kids……Whoaa there, just a minute.

No, No, none of this is true, i've always been rubbish with finances, wandered the countryside wondering what's out there, yearning to see more . I've lived in bedsits, been homeless, and only when i got into a relationship and got her pregnant did i move into a home. There i tried to make it work…

Kids…here's the facts. 3 months in, a coil failed and the additional split condom led to a unplanned pregnancy, she didn't want to terminate so i supported her a stayed with her as 'the right thing' a 10 week premature child then pressure to marry her and bullying led to marriage and a second child, which died at birth, a weak relationship led to more bullying and a further pregnancy to try to replace the daughter we lost, continued pressures to change who i was through being degraded, made to feel unless, pathetic and and crap husband father…(i worked 40hrs a week, came home cooked, bathed the kids, laundry duties, night time feeds, nappy changes, run bath for wife,anything to make her life easier so she could do her shifts at work and fit in her affairs)it was suggested(i was told) the try for a daughther would bring us together, so following guidlines to make a girl she got pregnant and a girl was born.

I had the snip and that same day i got a claud butler cape wrath and began to find a little escapism. The freedom it gave me, to be in the wilds, with people i wanted to be with, making choices for myself. not being told want to do and crap i'm am.. A passion was formed, quickly any time i had when the wife was home i could escape from the nagging, the affects of the wine she'd drink. I'd no longer need to duck from flying glasses, books, furniture, i was free…

However, when i wasnt riding the bullying continued and my self esteem disappeared, 9 years of this and suddenly i popped, we split up(she was having another affair, so she still had a companion)and i tried to set up a home in a rented house.

I signed over the home we owned to her and took the £38,000 debt as my share, collectively i was led to believe we owed double that.

So there i was being rubbish with money, not wanting to be somewhere, a low self esteem and alone, over 4 years of trying as only i can, i quickly lost any control over my life and began neglecting myself as i'd done for all the years since leaving school up to when i became a dad.

The depression i'd dealt with for most of my grown up life escalated beyond my minimal control and meds and conselling didin't help. An few drinks one night took me to my first attempt at taking my own life, but on the way to doing it i was pulled over and locked up(blue flashing lights a distraction and forced awareness to your actions) so now my work and life was eve harder and self esteem, value was at a point lower than ever….

Which brings me to the point that on the 1st of April i climbed that tree for the first time, with a rope around my neck i questioned my self and asked myself what i love in life and what i hate…..i new nature and freedom was what i wanted.

For3 days i did this, the 4th i followed my heart and left my past life and found my future.

Only when you travel in the shoes of another will you follow their footsteps, but you'll never feel the journey that they took.

I thank everyone for all their thoughts, advice and opinions, it's what makes us all unique, only in death are we all the same.

spock
    Free Member

You certainly haven't had it easy, Good luck with your travels . I'm sure you'll have fun

bobsoff2
    Free Member

Good luck "Free Bird"…

stanfree
    Free Member

Good luck Sharki , I hope you find peace on your travels.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Sounds like you're running away from yourself. That's a wasted journey, and you'll miss out on the assistance of the only person who can help you.

qwerty
    Free Member

Sounds like you're running away from yourself.

FFS – when he confronted himself he was up a tree with a noose !!!

he IS helping himself

different strokes for different folks

give Shane a break and support him – not kick him whilst he's down

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘Hello you orrible lot.’ is closed to new replies.