Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Headache dilemma – WWJD?
  • TheFlyingOx

Background:
    I’ve had a headache for over 2 weeks now. Started after a night out on Thai vodka and redbull, and it turns out they might put amphetamines in their red bull… I never generally get headaches, so it’s getting right on my tats. It feels like pressure behind my sinuses, but roams between the front left side of my head around to the base of my skull, which is where it is currently residing. In addition, I have spells of nausea and I feel dizzy when trying to re-focus my eyes, and my neck aches quite badly. Only medication I’m currently taking is doxycycline for malaria prophylaxis.

The dilemma is as such:
    I’m currently offshore with only a “field medic” for advice. He’s given me paracetamol/ibuprofen and told me to keep hydrated. It’s not generally the sort of thing they send you home for, I don’t think. However, if I did get sent back onshore, I no longer have a UK address so no local GP. Finally, my missus is out in Indonesia at the moment and I’m supposed to be flying out to meet her on 23rd December, not least of all so I can top up her spending money.

Do I MTFU and GBTW, or does it sound serious enough for me to press for a trip to Aberdeen hospital for a check?

Regards,
    Concerned, of No Fixed Abode

wallop

Warrants a trip to a doctor of some description IMO.

TheFlyingOx

Bump for the evening physicians. On a possibly related note, I now appear to be coming out in hives. Dengue Fever? Screaming Abdabs? Galloping Heebeejeebees?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

If i had a rash, headache and stiff neck i would be concerned about meningitis, although the severe meningococcal type would probably have made you very ill some time ago.

Doxycycline can cause raised intracranial pressure, hence potentially headache. Rashes are common with antibiotics.

You need proper assessment by a physician, in person IMO.

sc-xc

I think the real question, is WWTJD?

meehaja
    Free Member

Problem is, a GP will do a simple neuro assesment and refer you to hospital for further tests. That said, any headache for more than a few days needs checking out…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Headache dilemma – WWJD?’ is closed to new replies.