Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Head Torches
  • Conor
    Free Member

Doing a midnight orienteering/ hike event next week.

Obviously not going to turn up with my XC lid and cable-tied on Fenix torch…

Can you recommend a basic but sufficient LED head torch? To give adequate light for 3-4 hours (2 in forest, rest on mountain top.

Must be less than £20.

Thinking this?

http://www.freetime1.co.uk/Models.aspx?PartnerID=1&ModelID=2154

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

petzl Tikka – had mine for 5 years and its been excellent

montylikesbeer

Alpkit Gamma at £12.50 every time for me.

Had mine for a couple of years and has never failed.

anonymouse
    Free Member

+1 for the Alpkit Gamma. Very cheap, wholly reliable.

Jamie
    Free Member

+2 for Alpkit. Used mine for running through winter. Flawless for the price….even get free duracells included.

Conor
    Free Member

Sweet, Gamma is half the price of the Petzl. Saying as I may never us it again, Gamma makes more sense.

montylikesbeer

Also Alpkit are great people to deal with.

Believe me its a fantastic torch.

davidrussell
    Free Member

+4 for gamma – awesome for the money

Marko

+ 3 for the Gamma.

Super fast delivery as well.

Conor
    Free Member

Cool, that's more than enough votes to convince me.

stever
    Free Member

Sure you won't regret it. I'd love to see what Alpkit could do for 30 or 40 quid. http://furiouscycling.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Another vote for the gamma. The only "improvement" I could think of would be to the switch so it can't be accidentally turned on when rammed into a pack etc.

mmb
    Free Member

i want one now and i don't even need one!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

i want one now and i don't even need one!

+1 🙂

Ewan
    Free Member

If you've a fennix torch, get the fennix headband. It's ace. Costs about 16 quid IIRC.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

get the fenix headband, as above, works perfectly

CountZero

Cyba-lite do a very similar headtorch but without the little supplementary led's, available through various outdoor shops like Blacks, Millets, etc. I've got one, and very good it is too.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I budget was a wee bit higher, Petzl Myo XP – got one (got it very cheap but new off ebay) and it kicks serious ar5e. You can trail run at night with it. It also manages to use almost no battery power.

I got one of those £8 head torches from Tesco.
    I use it almost every day at work and it's one of the best value for money pieces of kit I have ever bought.

Conor
    Free Member

Wow, ordered two (one for a mate) of them on Friday at about 2pm and they arrived with the postie this morning! Great service!!!

The "trying out in a partially dark room" test is a great success. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I got one of those £8 head torches from Tesco.
    I use it almost every day at work and it's one of the best value for money pieces of kit I have ever bought.

Don't try trail running with one though – I ran into a tree and nearly fell off a small cliff! Myo XP is about 20 times brighter.

MoreCashThanDash

Mountain Warehouse do a decent one for about £15 – I'ved used mine as an emergency light on nightrides.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Head Torches’ is closed to new replies.