• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IA.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Head set OD / Head tube ID query.
  • chives
    Free Member

Without stripping my bike; – can anyone tell me what the outside diameter of the headset (internal diameter of the head tube) might be.

The Bike is a Cube Ltd, and has a 50mm OD head tube, and has an FSA #10 headset. I’ve tried the FSA website, but the names have changed, so #10 didn’t appear anywhere meaningful.

I reckon the dimension in question will be either c.41mm or 44mm, but am asking for confirmation, as if it is 44mm I’d be able to run an external lower bearing (and hence a tapered steerer fork).

The Cane Creek site apparently lists all sorts of combinations of bearings, but you need to input the ID of your head tube – which kinda negates the question..

Help appreciated, cheers.

chives
    Free Member

Anybody?

Macavity
    Free Member
    chives
    Free Member

Thought that might be the case – cheers for the replies.

IA

I can’t tell you, but if you know your headset you can look it up in here:

http://www.windwave.co.uk/documents/techinfo/FSA_headsetbook.pdf
    (15mb pdf! but the last word on FSA headsets)

Then you’ll know.

RustyMac

Can you see if there is currently cups in the headset?

Basically 44mm id is for zero-stack /semi intigrated headset (you have cups pressed into the frame that the bearings fit into)

41mm is for fully intigrated where the bearings sit within the headtube of the bike no removable cup.

STATO
    Free Member

The Bike is a Cube Ltd, and has a 50mm OD head tube, and has an FSA #10 headset. I’ve tried the FSA website, but the names have changed, so #10 didn’t appear anywhere meaningful.

You focused on the wrong bit…

From the Cube website > FSA No.10 semi-integrated

The last bit tells you what you need to know (see RustyMac post above), the #10 means nothing.

chives
    Free Member

I’ll have to wait til I get home to download 15meg – internet here’s worse than watching paint dry..

It’s semi-integrated I reckon, there’s a (pressed) steel flange just showing, so I’m hoping it’s 44mm ID. But there’s been such a fuss made about the ‘new’ 44xx standard, I’m surprised Cube hadn’t made more of a meal about it in their marketing bumpf.

I’ve contacted Cube & asked the question, but I’ll look at the FSA download later. Cheers again one & all.

chives
    Free Member

Just managed to open the FSA download – on page 8 lies my headset, which has indeed an OD of 44mm – so I could run a fork with a tapered steerer using an external lower bearing / regular upper one. Sorted. Cheers for that link IA.

RustyMac

If you get tapered forks you can simply buy a replacement lower cup from the hope pick and mix range.

IA

Hope are the only people that make an EC44/40 lower cup (1.5 taper to fit in 44mm, what you’re after) with a standard 9.5mm insert depth.

Everyone else’s is deeper, so won’t fit all 44mm internal headtubes (that’s what the new 44mm std. is about mostly).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Head set OD / Head tube ID query.’ is closed to new replies.