Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Haywards Heath – What is it like?
  • TimP
    Free Member

Anyone live there? What is it like?
    Looking at possibly moving there as I am considering a job move and it would suit both the wife and I as a location, but went there and it just looked a bit dull. Is there any decent riding to be done round there? Decent pubs/restaurants?
    I am in Brighton at the moment so easy access to the SDW and Stanmer Park from here and wide selection of pubs etc and I just don’t know much about HH in comparison.

Can anyone help

Cheers

Lifer
    Free Member

Not really much point moving from Brighton you’re only 10/15mins on the train.

AndyP
    Free Member

Dunno much about HH itself but my inlaws are just up the road in Crawley Down. The general area has lots of nice pubs and good (road) riding. Dunno about mtb though, only ever take the road bike when we go down tehre.

wwaswas

it just looked a bit dull

this, it’s all a bit ‘mid-sussex’ really.

I worked in HH for 15 years and was never tempted to live there.

My brother had a big Victorian detached house there for a while but that was more because he coudl walk to the station and be in London in less than an hour than any burnign desire to live there.

If you do move and plan to have kids make sure you won;t be in the catchment for Heyworth School – it’s been on special measures for years.

If I lived in HH I’d get a road bike – there’s some great small lane ridign aroudn there but not much off-road.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Wouldnt bother moving.

Its so close already, and Brighton is a far more vibrant place to live.

TPTcruiser

My brother lives in Cuckfield, nice place just up the hill from HH. He was looking to sell his house a while back, not sure if it is still on the market. His job is elsewhere but family well settled.

njee20
    Free Member

Not really much point moving from Brighton you’re only 10/15mins on the train.

+1

Wouldn’t bother!

saleem
    Free Member

I lived there about 15-16 years ago and unless it’s changed I wouldn’t much I would say, stay clear.

TimP
    Free Member

The job would be in Forest Row so not actual HH, being there would just cut the drive time dramatically and the wife works next to Brighton station so would be on the train south

wwaswas

I’d go for Lewes over Haywards Heath, you’d cut out traffic getting in and out of Brighton each day and trains to Brighton are still regular.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Lewes has a cracking cycling club too:
    http://www.leweswanderers.co.uk

monkey_boy
    Free Member

brett anderson lived there

Lifer
    Free Member

+1 for Lewes over HH

wwaswas

Off Road Riding from Lewes is great, too – only a half hour from Stanmer and Friston within realtively easy reach too.

AndyP
    Free Member

brett anderson lived there

is there a ‘smiley’ for ‘stares blankly at the contents of this post’?

TimP
    Free Member

What about Burgess Hill anyone?

timbur
    Free Member

Burgess Hill? Really?
    Blimey, move to Haywards Heath if you must but NOT BH.

I’m in Ringmer, near Lewes. Tis a nice place.

Tim

wwaswas

I lived in burgess hill for the first 20 years of my life.

Tim’s right.

JoB
    Free Member

my grandparents moved to Burgess Hill and chose to be buried there, if that helps

timbur
    Free Member

Eastbourne for those that don’t like a sea view then????

I always thought it was a bit rough and a fighting town (bit like Uckfield/Hailsham)

TimP
    Free Member

Not getting much of a positive vibe about mid-Sussex!!

rewski
    Free Member

As above, stay put or lewes, you’ll miss the SDW, and be driven mad with frustration that you can’t ride on ashdown forest.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I grew up in Burgess Hill and went to school/6th form in Cuckfield/Haywards Heath. That was 15 years ago.

There’s far worse places in this world. If you compare W. Sussex in general to the rest of the UK then I’d say it is one of the nicest places to live. Schools are good, people are well educated, unemployment low….

There’s not much wrong with Haywards Heath. A bit bland maybe, but otherwise it’s quite a tidy place.

Burgess Hill on the face of it is about the same, but there is a rough area. So raising kids there is a bit hit/miss. If they get in the wrong crowd then it’s a slippery slope.

No real biking though in either. You’ll be heading back towards Brighton for that.

P.S. I sat in the same chair as Brett Anderson in chemistry class – a few years down the line.

bigsi
    Free Member

Mate lived in BH & ended up getting divorced.

Another mate lived in HH & ended up separating from a long term partner.

I’d stay put if i were you or move to Lewes 😉

hope that helps 😆

avdave2

I’m also in Brighton and if I ride over the Down’s and down the other side I just think oh dear it’s all a bit flat and then ride back up again. Lewes to Forest Row is pretty quick and a nice enough drive.

wwaswas

All towns have dodgy areas. There’s a few streets near Heyworth school that the locals call Dodge City because it’s where all the crims and low life’s live there

newgal
    Free Member

TimP don’t do it! Souless, commuter-ville with nothing there. Lived there for 3 years and would never go back. No decent pubs in town, all pretty naff bars for the London-bound commuters. Definitely Lewes, or have you thought about Hurstpierpoint? Nice little village on the outskirts of Burgess Hill, close to Hassocks station…

TimP
    Free Member

We do have Jnr P to keep us out the pubs and so we need to think about schools and amenities. Problem is you are all telling me what i though but didn’t really want to hear!

And newgal – you still owe me that ride you promised me!!

ontor
    Free Member

For the love of anything, stay in Brighton or go to Lewis. My wife lived there for years, her folks still live there and they’re twitchers. Nuff said.
    No good pubs.
    One good Thai place
    Jeremy’s at bored hill gardens ( :wink:) is superb.
    No good local trails.

timbur
    Free Member

LewEs man, for god sake :O)

Lewis is an island somewhere north of Hassocks which is well off my radar.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Haywards Heath – What is it like?’ is closed to new replies.