Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Have I f'ked it?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Peaks ride on Sunday. Obviously flicked a rock up at some point. Wasn't aware of it – found the dink whilst washing it. I can't make out if the dark section in the middle is a crack or not.

Slightly underwhelmed as its supposed to be a burly freeride frame (Intense Uzzi), which should be capable of taking the odd smack on the DT… 13 rides old. I picked up another much smaller dink further up the DT on the 2nd outing.

Any guesses? Probably just going to carry on riding and see what happens…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Looks ok to me – its a very beefed up area of welding so IMHO I would keep riding it 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

perhaps, and this is a long shot, take it to someone who deals with bikes and show them, in the flesh, what's happened?

khani
    Free Member

Can you take the bottom bracket out and spray some penetrating oil on the outside and see if it goes through to the inside

yoshimi

What foxy said – pretty tough around that area – i wouldn'r worry about, just keep an eye on it each time you wash to see if an obvious crack does appear

Nick

Flicked a rock up and did that? What is it made of, primula?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Wont work – the BB will have a cylinder of alloy though it – this will be outside of that – Sure take it to LBS but you may not get so much of a human answer considering if they will err on the side of caution? That weld IMHO is where they have capped the bottom of the down tube off onto the BB shell – I wouldn't think you would snap a frame there ?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

If it was just a dent, I wouldn't give a monkeys. Its that "crack" looking mark in the middle that gives cause for concern.

Foxyrider is spot on with the description. A cap welded over the end of the DT.

What is it made of, primula?

You might not be wrong there. The only other bike I've done similar damage to was another Intense. They do seem to use an especially soft variety of cheese to build their frames from. Maybe they hydroform that stuff (I won't call it cheese) that MaccyD's stick in a cheeseburger.

toys19
    Free Member

Umm I know its a bit late for you but I am an inner tube on the downtube type of guy…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Just a battle scar.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Jon – mate I feel for you. Is that the Uzzi you were telling me about?

FWIW I did pretty much the same thing to my Nicolai Ion; a ding in the same place and about the same size and the last thing they are made from is Primula. It made a mess of the paint but there were no welds to damage.

Expat
    Free Member

2 problems i see here Jon
    1. you were obviously riding too fast.
    2. you washed the bike.

Glad to hear your still dragging yourself up to the peaks though 🙂

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

That looks like an awful lot of abrasion marks across the weld for a rock flicking up and hitting it! Looks more like BB vs Big rock in ground interface!

molgrips
    Free Member

It's fine I reckon That looks like extra padding on the frame for just such an event. Why not call the manufs and ask them how it's made up and if it's a sensitive area?

But yes, really does look like you smacked it on something. I've had loads of rocks fly up and never dented a thing. If it's small enough to fly up it's too small to dent the frame ime.

Draw a line either side of the suspected crack with a thin permanent marker or simply scratch a line with a sharp blade, then monitor it regularly to see if it gets any worse.

I don't think that it's much to worry about, but I would check it regularly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Have I f'ked it?’ is closed to new replies.