Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Have eBay charges rocketed – or is it PayPal?
  • mrmoofo

Selling things on eBay used to be a great way of getting rid of the unused. But after being stiffed for aroun 75 quid on fees for selling an orange patriot, it beginning to not make sense.

It might be me being bitter as I should have broken the patriot – kept some stuff, sold some stuff and I would still have been better off!

allthepies
    Free Member

Long since been a p*sstake, that’s a monopoly for ya.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I worked it out as about 14% in fees all included. I don’t have an alternative means of selling stuff so overall I’m happy.

Postage charges on the other hand…..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    footflaps

I find that, say compared with the STW classifieds, the EBay fees are still less than the higher price you get on Ebay. However, Ebay has far more tossers buying stuff who change their mind / accuse you of selling fakes etc….

mrmoofo

I find that, say compared with the STW classifieds, the EBay fees are still less than the higher price you get on Ebay. However, Ebay has far more tossers buying stuff who change their mind / accuse you of selling fakes etc….

And getting very aggressive!! Esp re feedback

nicko74

Elon Musk has to pay for his rockets somehow… Paypal’s policies/ fees/ general ripoff nature is the reason I’ve stopped using ebay.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I got stung when I sold a bike for 750 quid. They took £75 off me plus £20 odd PayPal fees plus the listing fee of about 7 quid.

I didn’t fee like I’d got much left after all that.

nealglover
    Free Member

Yeah it’s massively steep.

A friend recently sold a bike for £790 on a standard Auction.
    No reserve
    No fancy listing extras
    Starting price £500
    10 pictures
    Payment via standard paypal.

Total fees was £112.50 !!!! Well over the top in my opinion.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I make that 14.2%

Maybe they should just say it’ll cost you 14% up front so you know what you’re dealing with?

bren2709

Both are a joke.
    They push all sellers to accept Paypal payments, which then increases money made.
    Why don’t they offer discounted fees when using PP or better still free.

Also when transferring money or paying for items bough money taken is instant, but when depositing back to your bank account this takes upto 7 days. How does that work?

Would love to see what kind of money they are making?

franksinatra

I agree, I sold £80 worth of clothes recently, £8 worth of fees. The new Royal Mail postage is so high as well buyers are not interested in smaller packages that would have been relatively cheap to post.

To be fair I haven’t really looked at collect plus or my herpes yet but with the fees being so high I can’t really be bothered,

Edric64
    Free Member

I sold a tandem trike for £600 the %age is 10% +listing fee .I refunded the paypal payment and delivered it for cash on delivery .The fees are far to high

julianwilson
    Free Member

Great example of an under-regulated free market at work there: having bought out Paypal quite some years ago and tied the two together with fantastic disregard to any one country”s banking laws and regulations, and to the choice or rights of boyth buyers and sellers, I wonder how many great startup auction site rivals ebay have bought up and closed down in recent years?

bland

That’s why loads of sellers are cancelling the sale after a week or so, it’s like a collective middle finger to eBay if you are happy, however I’m sure it will be ended by eBay sooner than later

fd3chris
    Free Member

I buy but never sell on there now due to the expense.

PrinceJohn

Much rather sell through classified ads on here, bikeradar etc…

That said, back in the day (seems weird saying that about an website!) I sold some things that made far too much money when people we trying to outbid someone.

Just paid £20.00 more than I originally intended tonight as I wanted something real bad…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Have eBay charges rocketed – or is it PayPal?’ is closed to new replies.