Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • has topgear ran it's course?
  • sucklingmatt
    Free Member

am i the only person who is now bored of top gear, when it first came back it was good and the first 4 or 5 series, where good tele….but now with constant repeats on bbc and dave, and the fact they never seem to have any cars on it any more, let alone a car I will buy…i’m finding it all a bit old hat……

………..am i getting old and boring, or has it just become boring and predictable?

Plus..what is going on with Richard Hammonds hair, he never seems to know what it is doing

Sawyer
    Free Member

Didn’t bother with the last series to be honest.

Getting very dull and predictable.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Can I be the first to say contrived.

I like it, it has gone down hill a wee bit though. I just wish the challenges were less “scripted” and far fetched. That thing they did with the snow plough was embarrassing. Going back a few years the “american road trip” episode was absolute class.

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

TBO i don’t even know anymore when it is a new series or a repeat, they all just seem to blur into one

Pieface

Have ‘Has Top Gear ran its course?’ threads run their course?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I guess it’ll be down to viewing figures/worldwide revenue.

Bregante

Without a doubt. Verging on the cringeworthy to watch nowadays. Am I the only one who would quite like a programme that doesn’t just review cars that only 0.5% of the population can ever hope to afford?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Is JC a ****?

Bregante

Is JC a ****?

No need to bring religion into this is there? 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

Are the Kennedys gun-shy?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

No need to bring religion into this is there?

Very sharp.! 😀

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

i would watch a program which reviewed normal cars,

molgrips
    Free Member

Am I the only one who would quite like a programme that doesn’t just review cars that only 0.5% of the population can ever hope to afford?

5th Gear?

5thElefant
    Free Member

i would watch a program which reviewed normal cars,

Why?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

All shows have their hay days, and then the inevitable decline . . . .

like the gadget show, we’ve now got 5 presenters, who keep falling over themselves and lame tasks like who can make the chuckle brothers laugh, by acting like a dick on stage!! Where’s the gadget in that? 👿

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What’s ‘Top Gear?’

dazzlingboy

I think the snow plough nonsense was their jumping the shark moment.

(or maybe just their latest jumping the shark moment)

ski
    Free Member

I think the Hamster has had his day and needs to be replaced.

JC & JM offer enough differing views to entertain, while, Hamster just seems to be there to giggle at them both, he does not seem to bring as much to the party, as the other two imho.

Then again, who would be a good replacment might be a tricky one 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

has topgear ran it’s course? (sic)

Has it been fun living in that cave?

stumpy01

I don’t know why they don’t apply their ‘wit’ and general messing about-ness to doing some semi-serious car testing of stuff that people might want to buy.

The Skoda Yeti test was quite good, as was the Fiesta compared to Corvette and the super-mini test they did with their mums.

I watch it, but for the last couple of series it hasn’t been too funny.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I don’t know why they don’t apply their ‘wit’ and general messing about-ness to doing some semi-serious car testing of stuff that people might want to buy

Because that would be like the original top gear, which was cancelled because a show like that appeals to almost nobody in the UK, and is certainly of no interest to the rest of the world.

stumpy01

5thElefant – Member
    I don’t know why they don’t apply their ‘wit’ and general messing about-ness to doing some semi-serious car testing of stuff that people might want to buy

Because that would be like the original top gear, which was cancelled because a show like that appeals to almost nobody in the UK, and is certainly of no interest to the rest of the world.

No – the original Top Gear was serious, boring car testing.

I don’t remember them delivering marines onto a beach from an amphibious landing craft using the New Fiesta while the Marines fired from the car, followed by a race around an indoor shopping centre against a Corvette.
    Didn’t they land a helicopter on the roof of the Skoda Yeti? Pretty sure they never used to do anything like that in the original…..

bent_udder
    Free Member

There may be changes afoot.

*taps side of nose*

A former colleague is talking to them at the mo. They’re very, very good, and would probably inject a lot more life into it…

5thElefant
    Free Member

No – the original Top Gear was serious, boring car testing.

I don’t remember them delivering marines onto a beach from an amphibious landing craft using the New Fiesta while the Marines fired from the car, followed by a race around an indoor shopping centre against a Corvette.
    Didn’t they land a helicopter on the roof of the Skoda Yeti? Pretty sure they never used to do anything like that in the original….
    If that’s your benchmark for semi-serious car reviews then I stand corrected 😆

Personally I’d like all car reviews removed. In fact just blow the budget on two epics every year. The North Pole/Vietnam Scooter things…

stumpy01

Hmmmm, perhaps semi-serious car reviews is taking it a smidge too far, granted! 😀

But that kind of thing would appeal to me more than looning around in another completely out of reach supercar.

I find the way they mess about more annoying now for some reason. I think it’s because they used to come across as actually trying to do stuff, but making a bit of a mess of it, whereas now they just seem to play at overgrown schoolboys who know they are gonna mess things up so stand about tittering at each other and exclaiming ‘oh look, you just set that alight’ or ‘James you idiot, you just crashed into that car’ – aren’t we useless?

Yeah – blowing the budget on a couple of epics would be a good idea.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It jumped the shark around the time Hamster had his accident IMO.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

It’s never been right since William Woolard left!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Let’s face it, cars are really very boring.

I like the fact that there’s a programme that doesn’t even try to make French People Carriers interesting. Top Gear is a piece of theatre with overblown characters, nothing more and nothing less.

It’s gotten a little stale of late, but it’s far better than either watching two hours of snooker or yet another dramatisation of a Bronte novel.

redthunder
    Free Member

yes

konabunny
    Free Member

It’ll be like Neighbours. They’ll never cancel it so long as it has such a massive export market and as long as it’s cheap to make.

Sandwich

Could be Clarkson is about to have an Angus Deayton moment, something to do with a blond who isn’t married to him.

Bregante

Orange Crush – Member
    It’s never been right since William Woolard left!

and the fella with the beard, whose son was in Supergrass

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Sandwich – Member
    Could be Clarkson is about to have an Angus Deayton moment, something to do with a blond who isn’t married to him.
    POSTED 14 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Champagne, Cocaine and hookers?…..…

Spongebob
    Free Member

Top Gear has been a great success for the BBC. It is sold all around the world and has been a success because of the innane stupidity of the show. This strikes a chord with a wide cross section of society, but cleverly satirizes petrolheads as well as appealing to them at the same time. This widens the show’s appeal, so non-car enthusiasts and whole families sit down to enjoy the show. I predict the programme continuing it’s popularity because the show’s makers have recognised that dumbing down any TV show boosts viewing numbers.

surazal
    Free Member

If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. End of.

If you don’t like it consider this; Top Gear is the BBC’s most profitable TV programme and is self funding as well as effectively providing a subsidy to lots of other programmes (which you may like…)

To answer the OP – Yes it’s formulaic, contrived, unrealistic and frankly not and good as it used to be, but it’s still a welcome inclusion in the TV listings (IMHO)

richcc
    Free Member

Champagne, Cocaine and hookers?…..…

Whiskers on kittens and soft woollen mittens, brown paper packages tied up with string, these are a few of my favourite things…

philconsequence
    Free Member

the “specials” where the whole show is them on a mission in some foreign country tend to get watched here, but there’s no effort made in recording or putting time aside to watch the rest of the series anymore.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Have all those who dislike TG not got an OFF button on their telly? I don’t like Coronation Street so I don’t watch it, most here will know every single episode by heart and proceed to whinge about how poor it is.
    BTW A couple of years ago I went to the Berkshire County Show where, amongst the cows, horses and wellies, there was a guy showing off his KTM car. Expensive, impractical, moronic. Everybody loved it, especially those who were given a ride. Enjoyable doesn’t need to mean proper.

retro83
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member
    I find the way they mess about more annoying now for some reason. I think it’s because they used to come across as actually trying to do stuff, but making a bit of a mess of it, whereas now they just seem to play at overgrown schoolboys who know they are gonna mess things up so stand about tittering at each other and exclaiming ‘oh look, you just set that alight’ or ‘James you idiot, you just crashed into that car’ – aren’t we useless?

Yes, exactly!

alexathome
    Free Member

I was on 5th gear once doing a review of an ordinary car, i was awesome!

😀

Plus i have better hair than anyone on Topgear!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘has topgear ran it's course?’ is closed to new replies.