Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Has anyone here broken an On-one Inbred?
  • ddmonkey

I've had one for ages, great comfy XC bike. Given how cheap they are and the fact that they will be gone in their current guise due to CEN, I've bought a new frame to build up as a burlier hacker… hence the question. Has anyone broken one? What did it take? I am not going to do anything crazy on mine just use it as a burly trail bike really.

cp

not broken one per se, but the lower end of the headtube on my 2002 Inbred has splayed open slightly so the lower cup is loose in the frame.

no probs at all with my ageing 456!

oldgit
    Free Member

Mine went at the chainstay/bottom bracket. Did I break it?

ddmonkey

Were you running big forks cp or is that just lots of hard use?

ddmonkey

Just riding along oldgit?

Harry_the_Spider

I can't kill mine despite my best efforts.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep. Sure have. Twice. Same bike.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep, just plain old XC. I did ride it a hell of a lot though. Still gave me VFM I thought.

ddmonkey

Thanks, I was looking for a bit on info on how it happened rather a than a show of hands! How did it happen Peter?

odannyboy
    Free Member

"they will be gone in their current guise due to CEN"

whats this mean? please explain?

ddmonkey

The frame needs to be redesigned to meet the new CEN testing requirements I think, hence the latest batch once sold will be it. I'm sure whatever they come up with to replace will be good. Doesn't mean the current one isn't good or strong.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What did it take?

The first one took a decent sized twig at 4mph. Frame was 2-3 weeks old at the time…. 🙁

Bent that straight again.

The send one was chainsuck, now fixed with a new, reprofiled, chainstay.I thought it felt a bit 'odd' that night. So I didn't bother with my usual 2-3ft drop off the roundabout on the way home…. 😯

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2226/2516049562_4c9d877ccf.jpg

And the other side.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2294/2516043856_1198285544.jpg

It's one of the limited edition 853 ones and is probably the most loved yet abused Inbred out there right now. It's a keeper for sure, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it and if it got nicked I'd go mental.

Most recent pic

Yes, it IS overforked! Those are 140mm Vanillas. Spot on, actually. 🙂

D0NK

Mine has a big old dent in the downtube no idea how I got it (noticed it cpl yrs ago) and a ding in seat tube (pipe fell on it at work) and is still going strong at 6 yrs old. Hmm tempted to get another of the last batch just in case tho.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hmm tempted to get another of the last batch just in case tho.

I know what you mean 🙁
    I also like the new 456s though, and they are carrying on.

hora
    Free Member

Cracked the seat tube under the top tube junction on a Summer season.

Apperently Inbreds go at the weld on the chainstay- where it meets the plated dropouts?

Get a secondhand 456. It passed CEN with no revisions apperently.

nickc

Smacked one into a fallen tree, and my rather heafty mate piled in behind me…Result snapped down tube about 5-6 inches from the head tube junction. Entirely my fault.

Brant was gracious enough to do me a replacement frame at regular warranty rates, despite my frame being 3rd hand to me.

ddmonkey

Cheers Peter, like your set up I agree 140mm forks are spot on, that's the type of build I'm going for. Nice!

StirlingCrispin

I had one with misaligned disk-brake mounts.
    (I'd been running Vs for years before I noticed this).

A friend front-ended his and crumpled the front end.

cp

it's had a few forks on:-

on-one rigid forks
    63mm SIDS
    85-115mm RS Psylo
    105mm 'zocchis

It's been hammered and has been on several planes, tours, singletrack abuse…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

DDmonkey – Here's a better but less current pic. Quite a few changes since then, but basically the same set-up.

ddmonkey

Like it, I've got an 18" one in the Barry White black, I'm going to call it Evil Inbred 😈

austen

Crumpled the front of mine hitting a log at speed, again entirely my own fault. Cheap warranty replacement did me fine until I decided a geometry change was required and bought a chameleon. Frame still in the garage and might get rebuilt for some summer racing.

allankelly

I didn't know 853 Inbreds with cable stops had been made. Mine has none.

I've had a DN6 Inbred for many years, couldn't damage it. Recently sold.

The 853 is my current steed. Here it is on the beach during the Christmas snow (remember the Christmas snow of 2009!?).

Cheers, al.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allankelly/sets/72157623166857984/show/

ChrisL

A mate of mine did this to his Inbred. He had veered off the trail into the long grass to its side and rode into a hidden rock:

This was a very old Inbred, mind, and they've changed the butting since then.

allankelly

See that blue 853 Inbred above? I did exactly that, except it was a log instead of a rock. Whack! Purple spots (literally). Bike didn't notice.

al.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

PP i just did the exact same thing to the hanger of my 456 less than an hour into its first ride 😯 😥

LBS have managed to straighten it and theres no visible cracking so we will see how long it lasts now. Guess I can claim it is custom work-hardened 😉

llama

I've got an old one – first of the dn6 ones I think. Done lots of miles, winters, a few 12 hours solo plus the training, etc. Can't recall when I got it – 2002 maybe something like that.

The drive side chainstay has a crack in it about 3/5 of the way round, so its days are well and truely numbered. Not from chainsuck – its SS of course. But then its been like that for quite a while now. Using it for commuting until it finally breaks.

Anyway they fixed the chanstay problem so a new one should last 10 years of abuse easily. Not sure I would buy a new one though, I prefer the short travel slender tubed old ones, but then again. there is not much else out there for a cheap SS frame.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I didn't know 853 Inbreds with cable stops had been made. Mine has none.

Mine is one of the new limited edition 853 Inbreds, not an original SS 853. It's about 3 years old now. There were 100 geared and 100 SS ones made. A lot of them are no more, sadly. 🙁

PP i just did the exact same thing to the hanger of my 456 less than an hour into its first ride

LBS have managed to straighten it and theres no visible cracking so we will see how long it lasts now. Guess I can claim it is custom work-hardened

Stings, donesn't it! 😉

Mine was so bent the hanger was touching the cassette, locking it solid, so it wasn't even possible to SS it and carry on. I had a 4 mile walk back to the car.
    It's actually quite easy to straighten, it takes careful thought, a vice and a few other basic tools. Like I said, mine is 3 years old now and still on the same hanger (I've bent it again slightly more recently too) and still fine. As long as the LBS took their time and thought it through like I did, it'll be fine.

Trigger
    Free Member

I had the same problem as PeterPoddys chainsuck bike. The stay was badly gouged and slightly squashed due to several chainsuck incidents.

The bike still lasted quite a while though but felt a little odd riding one night. It had cracked all the way around, but held together to ride very slowly home.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Trigger, what did you do with the frame? Is it an 853 one?

Trigger
    Free Member

The frame is sat at home gathering dust. It's not 853 – just standard DN6, white from about 3-4 years back.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh. I'd have offered you money for a broken 16in 853. Cheers anyway. 🙂

allankelly

PP: I'm toying with the idea of going 29er for my SS, which would mean that my not-broken 16" 853 Inbred would be available.

al.

oldgit
    Free Member

llama that's what mine was a 2001 DN6

My 853 geared always had trouble with chainsuck. I know I know it can't be the frame but I wasn't the only one.

mickster
    Free Member

According to On-One's website. The 456 and Summer Season have passed CEN testing without any modifications to the frames.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP: I'm toying with the idea of going 29er for my SS, which would mean that my not-broken 16" 853 Inbred would be available.

al.

It's a nice offer thanks, but you'll want decent money for that I'll bet, and I was just hoping for a cheap spare in case mine got nicked. Out of interest, how much do you want for it…?

My 853 geared always had trouble with chainsuck. I know I know it can't be the frame but I wasn't the only one.

They all did. The frame doesn't CAUSE chainsuck, but the VERY VERY tight chainring clearance makes the consequences of it a LOT worse. Even Brant admitted it was too tight – On a classifides thread when my brother was selling his. Which screwed his sale up.

allankelly

Sure Peter, I understand! It's hard to say what it would be worth. They're not going to make them again, so if you're a fan then it's a collectible and worth something. It's also a very nice thing.

Then again, it's a used steel frame.

It would be a mistake to ebay it I think…

Current Inbred 29er DN6 price is £153. Only purple or orange, but hey. Wheels at £127/pair. Carbon forks at £125. That's about £400, so I guess I'd hope to make a fair chunk of that.

al.

hora
    Free Member

They all did. The frame doesn't CAUSE chainsuck, but the VERY VERY tight chainring clearance makes the consequences of it a LOT worse. Even Brant admitted it was too tight – On a classifides thread when my brother was selling his. Which screwed his sale up.

Sure? I run two spacers on the driveside of my hollowtech BB and havent experienced any chain suck (the chain/rings are quite worn as well)- basically a year old with minimal maintenance.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sure? I run two spacers on the driveside of my hollowtech BB and havent experienced any chain suck (the chain/rings are quite worn as well)- basically a year old with minimal maintenance.

What frame is this exactly – 853 Inbred, geared? There was about 2.5mm clearence between the big ring and the say on those. 'Twas silly tight. Far too close. Most people who had one reported the problem at the time, and AFAIK mine is the only one that was modded and cured of it. I've heard of a couple with snapped chainstays because of it.

Allan – Ahh, it's a whole bike is it. I'd just want a frame TBH, to stick to one side for a rainy day. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Ah no- DN6 456. He admitted that on your brothers classified thread?!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone here broken an On-one Inbred?’ is closed to new replies.