Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Has anyone ever hurt an Alpine 160?
  • joedaho
    Free Member

As the title of the thread says… has anyone ever cracked/snapped one?

I ask because I'm notionally starting to put together the bike that I'm going to take to Whistler to do a season on. I'm intending to move out there afterwards and so only want to take one bike, with two sets of wheels.

When I say a season, I will be guiding FR and DH on it, and I would be quite happy using it for guiding as I have ridden with guys on them and theirs coped admirably. Also the riding I'd do when guiding wouldn't ever get too out of hand so to speak.

However, when I'm riding in my own time, the bike park is going to get hit hard. When I say hard, I mean ~250 runs in the season that last year killed 4 rear wheels, about three transmissions and a suspected crack in my Glory DH (that turned out not to be in the end…).

I don't know if anyone has put one through that sort of aggro, but what have people heard in terms of hearsay and the such that forums are good for generating?

Cheers all.

grumm
    Free Member

Never been to Whistler biking or ridden an Alpine 160 so feel free to ignore me but….. 🙂

It's not really designed for full on DH and Freeride is it? A mate has just been out there and said pretty much everyone riding the bike park has at least 180mm travel bikes.

seanodav
    Free Member

Possibly something with better warrenty maybe?

genesis
    Free Member

Know a guy who's done several seasons in Verbier on a Patriot with no problems, though when you do see the bike it looks utterly done in!

Coyote
    Free Member

Garbanzo rentals are Kona Stinkys. They last the season, are liked by the guides and are relatively cheap. I know someone who bought an ex-rental a couple of years ago and it's still going strong. I have used a few different bikes on the bike park and would always go for the Stinky.

joedaho
    Free Member

Thing is, it has to be able to be pedalled for hours as an XC bike so thats the Konas out. Also I wouldn't touch one with a shitty stick.

What I hear about the Partiot is encouraging.

Seanodav – what do you mean about the warranty?

Cheers guys.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If you are on that side of the pond, something from a US/Canada manufacturer? Cove or Santa Cruz?

scruff
    Free Member

Know a guy who's done several seasons in Verbier on a Patriot with no problems, though when you do see the bike it looks utterly done in!

But Jon weighs 2 stone wringing wet.

J-claw will be along when Canada wakes up to tell you exactly what you need for Whizzla and how to use it.

Digger90
    Free Member

When I was in Whistler I was just about the only person there not using DH forks.

Everyone riding the normal DH runs there was on a proper DH rig, not a beefed up AM machine.

walleater

I guess J-Claw is still on the shitter….

I don't think you can compare Verbier and Whistler Beik Park when it comes to wrecking bikes. Both places are awesome places to ride but the runs in WBP are much rougher and faster, and getting back up is quicker which means more runs per day. I'd say that something like an Alpine 160 would be an awesome 'all mountain' BC bike and would be a good North Van bike, but if you want something to trash in the Park, why not just buy something used and cheap when you are over here?

PJ266
    Free Member

He's already got a trashed Glory 😉 He needs something that can be pedalled all day and still handle the pain in the bike park.

j-claw
    Free Member

J-claw will be along when Canada wakes up to tell you exactly what you need for Whizzla and how to use it.

I am awake!

Right, forget the idea of the Orange. Nice bike, but you'll break it & when you do you'll be without a bike for ages as Orange aren't readily available out here.

I guided for 2 seasons on a SX Trail… That's about the only bike I can think of that can cope with a season in the Bike Park, but can be pedalled on XC rides too. Having 2 sets of wheels/tyres will be a bonus for the XC rides, but bear in mind that you'll soon get pretty fit working as a guide & you'll get a lot of trail knowledge so you'll easily be able to keep up even the fittest/most skilled guests.
    There are lots of Specialized dealers & any warranty issues get sorted quickly.
    You could probably even buy one in Canada & save yourself a load of cash too…

One bike is a nice idea & you'll make do for a while, but a proper DH bike & an All Mountain bike makes life a lot easier 🙂

walleater

I'm not sure there's such a bike unless you spend obscene amounts of money on saving weight. The current crop of all mountain (Remedy etc…) bikes are all about light weight so while the angles might not be too bad, go could never really give'r for a whole season. If he trashes a tank like a Glory, then something lighter ain't gonna last. One option could be a 4X type bike, which could take a beating and be fun in the Park while still being nimble enough for Whistler XC. Not sure I'd want to either climb 27 Switchbacks or go down Goats Gully on the Brodie Dissident I had for a while though.

You really need two bikes in Whistler if you are guiding everything.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

i keyed one last weekend…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The new Giant Reign?

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

new giant reign looks pretty cool…
    if ur going for speacilized why not go for norco…same but better cos its not got stupid name

brakes
    Free Member

I was following a mate down A-line when the back end of his SX Trail fell off – a compromise bike won't survive a season in the meat grinder

definitely get something that you can get fixed or replaced over there, it will save you time and money

walleater

LOL Norco. Did you know that if you buy a Norco, you get Nickelbacks entire back catalogue FREE!

woody2000

What about a new Big Hit? Latest review in ST suggested it could be pedalled (not sure for how long tho!). Bargaintastic as well

timber

Can't think of anything that has survived your ownership unscathed Joe.
    A 2-stage may fit the profile of doing both, but longevity? I have no idea.

the P1 with some real thick foam grips?, or has that died too now?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Used my Alpine to guide the 2nd half of the summer season out here in the Alps (after my Santa Cruz broke). Did everything on it – big climbs, tight switchbacks, DH, bikepark – and it coped well and is still in great shape, but I did only have a couple of weeks of chairlift-accessed riding on it.

atlaz
    Free Member

I'd say buy something you can get help with locally. It's no good being a guide with a bike that's having to cross the Atlantic to get fixed. Norco, Cove, Specialized and don't forget Transition and Evil are just over the border if you want something from a smaller company.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

reviews mtbr of the g-spot suggest its a perfect whistler bike(66's or 888 up front)…and it pedals really well.

beagle
    Free Member

Go local. Knolly Delirium T. Updating it this year, but you'll get a cracking deal on the bombproof original version. Head angle and wheelbase adjustment on the original too. It's a great bike and very versatile depending on the build. Especially with the adjustments too. Bolt through rear option as well.

If u have any issues with it, knolly customer service is A1 and they'll be right round the corner when you're in Whistler.

Chris at riding high uk had some with big discounts too.

Drop us a line if u have any questions bud.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

last year orange made a fr alpine and i got one. cant say a bad thing about it. climbs swell and its like a mini dh rig. i was at orange a few weeks ago and dave the chap that deals with the warranty is still waiting to see a broken one! might be worth holding on till the cane creak version is out! thats going to be some bike.

joedaho
    Free Member

Cheers those of you that replied having bothered to read my original post.

I think the idea of having one bike is a bit of a daydream, as last year I spent pretty much all my spare time in the park, and the mess the Glory is in now will attest to that.

Hmmmm, I think the Alpine idea as it stands AND a DH bike is the only sensible way forward for what I'll want to do.

J claw – the SX is a bike I'd consider, but I'm quite sick in the head in as much as I really like something that climbs acceptably as well. PS was it T2R you worked for?

j-claw
    Free Member

Hmmmm, I think the Alpine idea as it stands AND a DH bike is the only sensible way forward for what I'll want to do.

J claw – the SX is a bike I'd consider, but I'm quite sick in the head in as much as I really like something that climbs acceptably as well. PS was it T2R you worked for?

Yes it was T2R… I went out there with a Patriot, soon got rid of that (too big, air shocks) for the SX Trail & rode that bike for everything. Next year I took a Cotic BFe with me for the XC stuff & made the SXT into more of a DH bike (single ring, etc). The BFe was hard work on some trails, but it kept me entertained – guiding XC riders can be very slow at times.

Now I live in Vancouver & have a Demo 7 & an Enduro SL 🙂

email me if you're looking for a cheap deal on a DH bike out here… I'll point you in the right direction.

joedaho
    Free Member

I thought so, seems half the riding ex pats in Canada had something to do with T2R at some point….

As for the guiding XC riders – I was thinking of taking the racy SS for that!

Were the air shocks on the Patriot that much of a drama?

DT78
    Free Member

Personally I'd save my money and buy something local in Cananda when you get there, if your guiding you'll be using it alot and don't want to be faffing with uk warrenties.

j-claw
    Free Member

Were the air shocks on the Patriot that much of a drama?

Not great for the bike park… When they heat up the dampening goes out of the window & they get very fast.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

the new alpine will have the canecreak db shock as an option. id wait for that. push the price up mind.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Get yourself an Alpine with coil front and back, you won't break it and it will still be a great all day bike.

scruff
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Driver8 ? At least it wont get stolen (due to its looks).

joedaho
    Free Member

I am looking forward to the day when someone comes up with a 'filter irrelevant reply' button for forums, I might use them more often.

The more I think about it, the Alpine plus a DH bike makes the most sense, guess I'll be working for an additional year before I do go out then!

walleater

Well, if after all that you are taking a DH bike, your Cheakamus Lake beik might as well be a beach cruiser! Not much point in taking a hefty AM bike and a DH bike. I can't remember too many people hanging on to my tail on the downs when I was XC guiding on my hardtail and I don't claim to be Steve Peat. But this seems a pointless discussion if you won't be guiding again for 18 months 😆

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone ever hurt an Alpine 160?’ is closed to new replies.