Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Harrogate/North Leeds Local Knowledge
  • Shandy
    Free Member

I'm in Harrogate this weekend and I could do with a couple of bits of advice from the good people of Yorkshire.

First off, I need a set of wheels for a 456, preferably Shimano hubs on Mavic rims, up to about £150. Or maybe even a set of Hope Hoops. Which are the best shops in the area and does anyone know of any deals? I've left it too late for the web or my LBS.

Secondly, I am after some tips for some proper Dales epics. Something starting around Masham or Bolton Abbey would be good. I want something so arduous that it will break me into pieces and make me cry and then rebuild me a better man. I have heard that the 3 Peaks is a good hiking experience, are the trails there cheeky, rideable, whatever? I have access to an extensive map collection and enough equipment, fitness and experience to prevent myself becoming a statistic. Please feel free to do your worst, eight hours plus preferred! 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

I'm not a local, but often visit family in North Leeds.

I use the South Dales Vertebrae Graphics guide book, loads of routes in there, some very long. Have generally been good too.

Should be out on Saturday actually, thinking of going to Stainburn if you fancy that?

poisonspider
    Free Member

If you want prebuilt wheels in stock you're going to need a decent sized shop. 3 that spring to mind in striking distance from Harrogate are:

All Terrain at Saltaire, Bradford
    Stif in Headingly, Leeds
    and Chevin Cycles in Otley.

I've used them all before and can heartily reccommend them.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Moonglu in Ripon is a great shop, think they sell Hope Hoops with Stan rims.

http://www.mtbthedales.org.uk/ is worth a look. Stainburn is very short and techy, not an epic ride just good fun.

Shandy
    Free Member

Chapaking thanks for the invite. Stainburn is great craic, and also one of the reasons I need new wheels! I ride there from Pannal most times I'm over. I am looking to go further afield this weekend though. I have been "on a clock" for most of my riding recently and now I have the chance to get away for a full day and see more of the Dales.

Poisonspider Otley is very handy, thanks for that.

Am I going to get burnt at the stake by ramblers for doing the 3 Peaks?

Spamf
    Free Member

There are much better rides than the Three Peaks. It's not even that nice of a walk!!
    As suggested, get the South Dales guide and go one of the epics. Alternately, buy a Harvey 1:40 000 map (there are 4 covering the Dales). This is the mapping used in the guides, and the maps have the added bonus of having the tracks and bridleways graded for mountain biking. They highlight some classic and cracking routes, and if you stick to them you can largely avoid bog marches over the moors

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Harrogate/North Leeds Local Knowledge’ is closed to new replies.