Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)
  • Happy Valley is back tonight.
  • nickc

Anyone else looking at the scenery and thinking what a cracking place to live with riding from the door?

nah, nothing to see here, move along now

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ha ha! Does it rain as much oop north as down here in the ‘port?

stumpy01

Either I’m going deaf, or last night’s episode was even more mumbly mumbly than last week’s!!

scuttler

Will’s O Nats’ at Meltham for the dodgy pint in ep1 – real pub name, real-ish location (they reckoned Slawit). Good start/finish for a tour of Royd Edge, Digley and Wessenden familiar to those who’ve done the Colne Valley Challenge.

For outsiders all the places are real – no made up names I’m aware of other than probably murder/murderer addresses etc. Not sure why that is but it makes it scarily believable.

brant
    Free Member

For outsiders all the places are real – no made up names I’m aware of other than probably murder/murderer addresses etc. Not sure why that is but it makes it scarily believable.

Yeah – I was surprised that the address of Hangingroyd Lane was actually Hangingroyd Lane. Though they changed the bra shop into an off licence.

woody2000

Pretty sure they went the wrong way into Elland crem last night, though I could be wrong. Looked like there was evidence of the recent flooding at the entrance so they must have filmed that bit late on. Some cracking riding in the woods behind Elland Crem 🙂

swavis

Either I’m going deaf, or last night’s episode was even more mumbly mumbly than last week’s!!

I thought the same and gave up, scenery is nice though 🙂

Scamper
    Free Member

Is that the reason why I had to keep turning the volume up? I thought my to was on the blink.

The actor who strangled his bit of fluff – think he did the same stunt on The Lakes 20 years ago?!

zanelad
    Free Member

The actor who strangled his bit of fluff – think he did the same stunt on The Lakes 20 years ago?!

He did. Killed her in the bath, if I remember correctly. I think The Lakes is one of the best things I’ve seen on TV

I was fairly sure that he was going to kill her when he left home. He didn’t take much luggage 😀

The BBC do seem to be prone for poor sound quality. Thank heavens for sub titles. I seem to use them more and more of late.

Metasequoia

I understood every word- but I was born in the valley…..

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

zanelad – Member
    He did. Killed her in the bath, if I remember correctly. I think The Lakes is one of the best things I’ve seen on TV

Agreed. Watched it at the time, bought it on DVD a few years back and it was just as good as I remembered.

scandal42
    Free Member

Anyone else find the main character just a tad irritating?

colournoise

scandal42 – Member
    Anyone else find the main character just a tad irritating?

Yes.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Interestingly MrsSB also commented on how mumbly it was.

globalti
    Free Member

We’ve given up and are using the subtitles.

What’s the betting Tommy Lee gets out of prison and terrorises Catherine and Ann Gallagher?

Watched episode 2 last night and Angela Pleasence (Winnie) got our award for the week’s Best Actress. She was superb!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Puzzled by the mumbling crits – I am not from up t’North but can hear and understand every word.

Wasn’t the strangler also in Downton?

Plenty of room for some good twists to come…..

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

No issues with mumbling for me and as far as I am concerned the setting and characters are from doon sooth.

Main character irritating? – do you mean Catherine? Are you mental? She’s easily one of the best police drama characters out there. Nice to hear a mention for Linlithgow!

Could have sworn the bald detective copper was planning on drugging and murdering the psycho mistress…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just caught up with this week’s episode. It’s just bubbling under the surface ready for it all to go off. So many possibilities of which way however…

allthepies
    Free Member

Catherine’s sister’s new fella (Neil?) to be the serial killer bloke ?

Yup.

woody2000

Nah, it’s the Scottish bunny boiler I reckon.

wrightyson
    Free Member

The copper who’s just killed his bit on the side is surely going to stitch her up as the latest murder case.

avdave2

Watched episode 2 last night and Angela Pleasence (Winnie) got our award for the week’s Best Actress. She was superb!

She seemed to be auditioned for the part of a meerkat in an insurance commercial to me.

phildowling
    Free Member

Happy Valley?? Her miserable face all the time and mumbling made me want to throw myself out of the hotel window.

I’m out.

beamers

We call if (un)happy valley in our house. Currently catch up on season 1. She’s just as miserable in that one.

Great landscapes though.

globalti
    Free Member

I wonder if tourism has increased in Todmorden and Bacup as a result of the series? Will Calderdale become a world class travel destination in the same way as all the James Bond movie locations have? St Moritz, Wengen, Paris, Cuba, Barbados, Thailand… watch out!

RustySpanner

Thought the ending to the first series was disappointing, but this is shaping up well.
    🙂

I like her, but…….
    Would she have really gone to the funeral?
    I hope they keep her character at least halfway believable.

And what’s happened to Mrs Mukherjee?
    She’d have spotted Moaning Myrtle in no time.

jonnyrockymountain

I have season 1 on DVD, only watched once £5 posted
    Email me at jonathantraverse@hotmail.co.uk

hora
    Free Member

Im new to Happy Valley -just finished episode 3. Loving spotting the odd film locations in Hudds 8)

Pigface
    Free Member

It’s chuffing great.

allthepies
    Free Member

The Scottish teacher is just weird.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I can’t believe the actress that plays Frances Drummond is 51 years old this year.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

What I want to know is how that Norton chap manages to grow his hair so quickly in the 24 hours between Happy Valley and Grantchester, for a vicar he seems to have a potty mouth as well.

rascal
    Free Member

Apart from the shite sound quality, this is ramping up a notch or two quite nicely.
    This and The Night Manager both make the Beeb’s Stag utterly shit – which of course it is.

wallop

Excellent stuff. Writing, directing, acting – all really good.

rone

This is a class act; particularly as it’s a follow up! Instead of being too plot orientated this has expanded its characters in a smart and fascinating way.

solarider
    Free Member

How are they going to resolve all of the story lines in the one remaining episode. Please don’t leave us hanging for series 3!

Is the young farmer dead, or did she shoot herself?

What is going to happen to Moaning Mertle?

And continuing the Harry Potter theme, what about the lorry driver currently locked up for the murders?

And what about the detective that actualy murdered his mistress?

Lots to do in one last episode. Not saying any of it has been slow, because along with the Night Manager it has made for excellent winter viewing, but the pace is really going to have to step up to round everything off.

rone

Agree Solarider. I’m sure S1 was the same, and it had a great denouement.

Scamper
    Free Member

Didn’t catch it due to the mumbling sound, but did the farmer’s son admit to the murders?

allthepies
    Free Member

The detective is screwed when phone records are checked (wouldn’t that have happened already in a murder case 🙂 ).

The farmer’s mum was a bit harsh wasn’t she!

Edit: I’m not getting the bad sound thing, not had any problems understanding what’s going on. I do have one of those old CRT TV things though!

solarider
    Free Member

Yes, but only to his mother. The Police are closing in due to damage to his car being tied into the scene of the latest murder.

She seemingly spared him prison by shooting him, but there was some ambiguity. There was a shot and a splatter of blood, but only seen from the outside of the house as the final scene.

Sound has been fine for me too, but I am multi lingual, speaking both Southern (wife and current location) and Northern (birth and upbringing).

Agreed on the detective’s phone records. He gave a poor excuse about accidental contact after a case months ago, but the records would show more volume and recency of calls. The only slightly dodgy plot line.

Oh, and what’s going to happen with the Kinesivitche’s crime ring that has led to much sleeping in the conservatory?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Happy Valley is back tonight.’ is closed to new replies.