Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Happy Canada Day!
  • can-uk
    Free Member

I know there are a few canucks 'aboot' on here!

molgrips
    Free Member

Hey, I know a Canadian guy. He doesn't say 'aboot' tho. Is it a regional thing?

woody2000

🙂

can-uk
    Free Member

Hey, I know a Canadian guy. He doesn't say 'aboot' tho. Is it a regional thing

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_English

"Canadian raising
    Perhaps the most recognizable feature of CanE is Canadian raising. The diphthongs /a?/ and /a?/ are "raised" before voiceless consonants, namely /p/, /t/, /k/, /s/, and /f/. In these environments, /a?/ becomes [??~??~??]. One of the few phonetic variables that divides Canadians regionally is the articulation of the raised allophone of /a?/: in Ontario, it tends to have a mid-central or even mid-front articulation, sometimes approaching [??], while in the West and Maritimes a more retracted sound is heard, closer to [??].[22] Among some speakers in the Prairies and in Nova Scotia, the retraction is strong enough to cause some tokens of raised /a?/ to merge with /o?/, so that couch and coach sound the same, and about sounds like a boat (though never like a boot, as in the American stereotype of Canadian raising). Canadian raising is found throughout western and central Canada, as well as in parts of the Atlantic Provinces.[3] It is the strongest in the inland region, and is receding in younger speakers in Lower Mainland British Columbia, as well as certain parts of Ontario."

nicko74

Hurrah!! I've just been told my immigration lawyers have filed – yesterday – my working visa application. Of course because it's Canada Day, nothing's going to happen on it til Monday, but hey ho.

The aboot thing seems quite regional. In Toronto it's amazing the range of accents you come across, from fairly neutral north american, through 'aboot' and 'stoooow' to the full-on "I'm…. Canaaydien…. eh…." slow 'sound slightly subnormal' effect. It's ace!

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife's got some Canadian-ish sounds going on, she's from Wisconsin. For example, they say that ey thing on the end of sentences often 🙂

can-uk
    Free Member

wishing i could be celebrating with a jug of Creemore..

Drac

can-uk
    Free Member

thomthumb
    Free Member

remember canadians are like vampires. never let them see a mirror.

not becasue it makes them melt or anything it makes them say a weird word that sounds like

myyyyrrrr

weird!! 8)

enfht
    Free Member

plumber
    Free Member

canadians – ****

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife says the word mirror as one syllable too.

Jamie
    Free Member

Canada….America's hat.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The aboot's on the other fout now.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Good call on the Creemore can-uk. Tankhouse ftw though eh?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

have a good day- totally eh!

enfht – TPB, class!

voiplondon
    Free Member

Waiting a few hours before cracking open the first bottle of Sleemans

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Jim Dunk says don't drink it.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Canada….America's hat.

lol
    reminds me of the Simpsons
    "You Shatner-stealing, Mexico-touchers!!"

highclimber
    Free Member

and then there was South Park:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAYMJnO9LBQ

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Happy Canada Day!’ is closed to new replies.