Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hammer time for Alpine 160 owners
  • saxabar
    Free Member

Rather than spending a £100 on a chain device, I'm considering splurging on a HammerSchmidt. Anyone taken the plunge yet? Any downsides?

wombat

I'm having exactly the same thoughts so am looking forward to the results of this one…

stevomcd
    Free Member

Would love one, but sadly well out of my price range!

I've recently put an E13 dual-ring chain device on mine after getting fed up with the chain rattling off all the time. Cost was more like £50 (CRC) and seems to be working really well.

soobalias
    Free Member

*cue load of folk telling you a. chains never fall off and b. you are a fashion victim*

considered it (briefly) too much money, too little feedback so far.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I'm no engineer, but isn't the orange pivot point situated to work with chain rings of a certain size? I know some single pivot bikes bob like crazy in the granny ring, which is essentially what the hamerschmidt is in all the time…

akira

I would speak to Orange about it before you go ahead as some manufacturers really don't advise it for the reason tree-magnet said, can make the bike feel awful.
    On the plus side they are pretty good, heavy with noticeable drag in overdrive but the immediate shifting and huge clearance is amazing.
    You may need to get your ISCG mounts faced by a shop with some Hammerschmidt specific tools though.

auricgoldfinger

Got one on my Nicolai Helius AFR, which I'm building up at the moment. Will post some thoughts up when I get my first ride in. Paid ~£550 all in (BB, shifter, HS). Chap I bought it from also runs one and he likes it alot. It is a bit porky mind you, which might be your main downside (I have the AM version).

As you say, doubtless there are plenty of naysayers around. As usual though they won't have seen one in the flesh let alone ridden it or understand the benefits.

Should say, having read some of the above, the Nic was designed with it in mind and most Nicolai's seem to ref SRAM stuff (A2C lengths on forks etc), the AFR certaintly does.

Stevie-G
    Free Member

I have one on my new frame build and i love it. Imported mine from an Ebay American bike shop. Took ages to come but saved loads even with the import tax…

AndyPaice
    Free Member

There was a note on Oranges web site saying they did not recmmend the hammerschmidt for their bikes as the small ring size did not complement the suspension.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hammer time for Alpine 160 owners’ is closed to new replies.