Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • halfords arrggh…
  • convert

If the current scheme was meant for that purpose it would be doing a crap job. Not accessable to all (those who don't work for an employer in the scheme, children, retireds etc) and the more you earn (i.e. the less the financial cost of buying a bike is an disincentive) the greater the percentage you save. Its just there to abuse for those folks looking to buy themeselves some more toys who have plenty of cash to do so anyway and are just looking to dodge some tax.

I would just remove VAT from the first £500 of all complete bikes costing less than £1K and make it available to all. No admin costs to speak of (the commercial providered of C2W schemes sting the bike shops 10%), available to all – lovely. Mind you, as they have just dropped the free swimming scheme for children and over 60s because of costs it is never going to happen.

5lab

I have just read the title of this.

Is it correct that you seem to be very upset by Halfords discontinuing a particular model? Halfords seem to just get a bashing for anything, even wiggle pull some products from time to time and you don't hear folk moaning about Wiggle.

more annoyed by the fact that you have to chose a bike, then tell the voucher people how big a voucher you want, then it takes so long to get that the bike you wanted is now no longer sold (although, as said, I'm going to try to get them to take a look tonight) and you're left with a £1000 voucher you don't necessarily want. I understand stuff goes out of stock but it's frustrating there isn't a more end-to-end way of doing things, or that you can reserve the bike without having the voucher in-hand

H

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

If the current scheme was meant for that purpose it would be doing a crap job. Not accessable to all (those who don't work for an employer in the scheme, children, retireds etc) and the more you earn (i.e. the less the financial cost of buying a bike is an disincentive) the greater the percentage you save. Its just there to abuse for those folks looking to buy themeselves some more toys who have plenty of cash to do so anyway and are just looking to dodge some tax.

Do you actually know this, have any stat's or is it just your considered opinion? I don't know myself but if you're predominantly basing it on the bike-acquiring-cogitations off this forum I suggest it might be misleading / unrepresentative of the "real" situation. Hell, even if it's word of mouth and ad hoc experience I'd be sceptical. I know you can use stat's to prove anything but it's still better than hearsay.

Besides, does it really matter if it's someone "rich" that ends up buying a bike (and using it) by virtue of the scheme? Have you ever thought that it's these people who are likely to be using their own cars / bigger gas-guzzlers and therefore every bit of travelling they do by bike instead is "better" (more significant) than the "poor" who, by virtue of their finances, are more likely to use communual / public / smaller engined / more efficient / economic / environmentally friendly transport?

The same vague logic applies to the other categories (children, retired etc) because, I guess, they're not exactly sitting in the commute Monday to Friday (I appreciate the kids run is contrary to this assumption).

I understood Cyclescheme is available to all employees, whether they are a sole trader or work for a multinational so it's available to a pretty wide range of people, so long as they or their employer chooses to take it up. IT's not perfect but the scheme has to operate somehow.

It's a tax break for any employer/ee, the only reason shops etc get hit by 10% charges is because employers are lazy and can't be bothered to set it up themselves. They go to an intermediary who makes their business lives easier. And again, even if there is a 10% levy (I think Cycle2work charge 10% at both ends; shop and employer) if it gets people (whoever) out on bikes then that's great by me.

As for VAT exemption, in a more perfect world that'd be great. The cynic in me thinks it'd just get absorbed into the supply chain / shop etc and the end punter wouldn't see 17.5% (roll on 20%) benefit.

5lab

well, thanks for everyone's help – I popped in thismorning, they have been obsoleted, and there are none in the warehouse, however the guidford one has one in stock if I want it. Thing is, they've bumped the price up (was £900 last time I looked at the website, now a grand), and I noticed the carerra xxx for £50 less, pretty similar componentry but a beefier fork, so I'll probably get that instead 🙂

Thanks again

H

thebunk

You git, I just googled "carerra xxx" at work 😯

She looks like one gnarly steed (the bike, I mean…)

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘halfords arrggh…’ is closed to new replies.