Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • grown men and games consoles
  • yunki
    Free Member

I look at my four year old lad, and hope he doesn’t turn out to be one of those lads that is utterly content to mostly sit around playing x-box, in the same way that I hope he doesn’t get into drugs, or crime or god forbid……. cars

I know that there are a few adult gamers on here from other threads.. so, what’s it all about..?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Never seen the point myself. I bough a PS1 years ago, played it about 4 times, probably for an hour in total, got bored and swore I would never waste my money again.

McHamish
    Free Member

I’ve heard there are people who spend all their time riding bikes, posting on forums about riding bikes, or shopping for bits for their bikes.

Wierdos.

There are also people who play computer games.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

All things in moderation yunki, Gaming can be good fun, my nephews are a reasonably balanced pair but fukme they like to “game” they are also obssesed with skiiing and skateboarding – no drugs yet!

Cougar

Getting old doesn’t make you stop doing things. Stopping doing things makes you old.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Just because you read it in the news doesn’t mean it’s true for everyone!

I admittedly don’t have a console or gaming PC these days. But I played a LOT of games in my youth. But then I also windsurfed a LOT. And rode bikes a LOT. I used to skate a LOT too!

Maybe the key thing was that my Dad used to play them with me though, rather than leave me in room to play at all hours. He also rode, windsurfed, but thankfully not skated, with me a LOT too.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t get it either. I’ll play a game with my 10 year old if he insists… but it’s like… er.. playing games.

BoardinBob

Don’t touch my xbox much for games in summer, only use it for media streaming, but on a cold miserable winter’s night it’s loads of fun

atlaz
    Free Member

I like games, I just don’t want to buy a PC for gaming and sit at a desk playing any more so prefer something in the living room which is a bit more sociable

rocketman
    Free Member

We have loads of entertainment with ours – Singstar, PGA Golf, Gran Turismo it’s not all online death and destruction. Quite an enjoyable experience in the living room with a decent tv and sound

bearnecessities

I was only thinking this reading same post today and concluded it’s healthy to be able to engage brain in as many different activities as possible, so no harm done. I don’t get it myself, but then I never did get playing games in my yoof by yourself.

However, playing Wipeout with friends in my late teens on a PS1? Just epic; still smile now thinking about it.

EDIT:

Getting old doesn’t make you stop doing things. Stopping doing things makes you old.

Now feel old 😕

theflatboy
    Free Member

In my free time, I occasionally enjoy sport, reading, watching films, playing board games, playing video games, watching TV and numerous other whimsical diversions. Which ones of those are “acceptable” and which ones aren’t?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I know men in their 40s that spend as much time as teens playing games (at the expense of actually moving). I’m not convinced they’ll make it to their 50s though.

wrecker
    Free Member

I likes angry birds I do.

GrahamS

Sitting about gaming seems a lot less silly than sitting about watching telly or a movie.

At least with gaming you are actively involved, interacting, and using your skill and intelligence to progress.

Those who don’t get gaming are from the same mold as those before them that didn’t get television, movies, wireless or the phonograph. 😀

Northwind

yunki – Member

what’s it all about.

Having fun. And it’s a lot more involving than watching TV…

Games can be a lot of things but for me the best games are about stories that involve you. Co-op/social play can be good too, playing company of heroes online is how I stayed in touch with a mate who moved abroad… the games I play have changed as I’ve got older, run-and-gun types, driving games, platforms etc don’t have much appeal any more but I don’t know if that’s because I’m old or just because I’ve played them a lot in the past…

The best games stay with you like the best films or books… I was at uni when I picked up Final Fantasy 7, I remember more from that game than I do from General Principles of Scots Law 😆 It’s a wonderful story, a cinematic experience that you drive yourself… Superb music (the soundtrack’s been performed in full orchestration round the world) a great world to explore and characters to live with. Funny and sad and haunting and hopeful and beautiful. Only trouble is you can’t just recommend people to give it a bash because it takes about 60 hours to finish…

But it’s a shame that people’ll miss such a work of art because “video games are for kids”… It’s a bit like writing off early cinema because it’s not in IMAX.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Playing games, playing on bikes, some like it, some don’t.

I tend to go in fits and starts with games. Some amazing games out nowadays though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have an ancient PS1 sitting somewhere gathering dust.

Games for me nowadays tend to be silly little things on a tablet, rather than proper ‘gaming’. Far better for travelling/life etc.

That said, I do remember spending waaaay too much time playing Civilisation in the past!

GrahamS

Games for me nowadays tend to be silly little things on a tablet.. I do remember spending waaaay too much time playing Civilisation in the past!

Pssst.. you can get Civilisation Revolution on the iPad – it’s not quite as in-depth as the later PC versions, but it is good for a long flight or train journey.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can you get it for a proper tablet as well? 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

I know men in their 40s that spend as much time as teens playing games (at the expense of actually moving). I’m not convinced they’ll make it to their 50s though.

I have a mate who developed DVT from sitting playing X-Box so much.

Personally I don’t “get” games. Maybe it is because I am pretty bad at them when I do give them a try.

Milkie
    Free Member

Gaming is a lot cheaper than my other hobbies! £40 for something that will last 3-6 winter months in my book is value for money!

A friends son has just been employed by a big firm to play real simulations (military) as he was soo good at them. Gaming has it’s perks, he was a big online gamer with strategy and things like COD. So it’s not all bad.

makeitorange
    Free Member

I’m sure I read the average age of a console owner is 30ish. That makes me below average (just..). As said above everything in moderation. I don’t play mine that much anymore (less than 3-4 hours a week in the summer I’d say). But have been known to play 12hour sessions if the time is available, the game is very good and it’s raining outside.
    I can see myself booking time off work when the new GTA comes out.

Amazingly I’m not obese and I do have an active social life!

Whilst we’re on gamer stereotypes I’ve also played every GTA game since my early teens and have yet to commit a violent crime in real life!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Oh and btw NO one could be beat me at SFII back in the day 😛

Cougar

I’m sure I read the average age of a console owner is 30ish.

I did the legwork on this last time someone went “games are for kids” on here. See the first few posts here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/grooming-or-am-i-being-too-daily-mail/page/2

(Heh, seems I used the same trite phrase back then, too)

djglover
    Free Member

out of all the things I was into as an adolescent, I think I still like / do all of them except the drugs.

I can often be found furously flicking my controler in the bedroom for instance.

d45yth
    Free Member

Apart from one or two computer nerds I know, the others who play games are all stoners! When some of them packed the weed in, the gaming would stop a few weeks later.

For the record, I don’t do either of the above.

molgrips
    Free Member

but it’s like… er.. playing games

And that’s bad?

As above – I think well rounded tastes are a good thing. It’s oversimplistic to say that say, reading is good, or conversation, and gaming is bad. Your conversation could entirely be vacuous gossip, your reading material could be Mills and Boon, and your games could be properly interesting and thought provoking.

– GTAIV was like watching a good gangster movie, I reckon.
    – The Cave (little platform puzzle game downloaded) was pretty difficult and amused me greatly. Not so different to doing a puzzle from the newspaper.
    – Gran Turismo and smilar, driving games, require supreme accuracy and skill, much like snooker or darts, but with an added high speed real-time element for a bit of endorphin action
    – I haven’t played it yet but I own The Last of Us, a thriller closely based on The Road by Cormac McCarthy. If that’s not grown up, I don’t know what is. It’s meant to be very profound and serious.

Grown-up games are no different to grown-up films or books, they are just interactive media. As gamers have grown up, so has gaming.

bearnecessities

For the record, I don’t do either of the above.

You did though? 😉

SamB
    Free Member

Funnily enough, one of the main times I catch up with friends is playing online with them. I see them reasonably regularly, but I live a good 4 hours drive away from some of them so don’t get to catch up often.

Spending an hour or two messing around in games is fun by itself, but we also catch up. I’d never think of calling them to say “Hi, how are things / the missus / the family” but conversation does turn to that. It’s a nice way of keeping in touch, whilst not having to go against my manly manly man nature and make a phone call to communicate with someone 😉

Also, you can do stuff like this:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN4qGR1NtvI[/video]

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’m 33 and still play games (Xbox 360, PS3, 3DS, PC and iPad). I also make games for a living

But I’m a woman, so I can’t contribute to this thread. 🙁

patriotpro
    Free Member

I can see myself booking time off work when the new GTA comes out.

Mate o mine did this years ago when he lived at home with the rents. He still does it now engaged, and with mortgage.

Why not…

plyphon
    Free Member

Still love playing PC games. Will play an hour a night of TF2 or CS:GO or whatever else I’m feeling this month.

In among riding and my other hobbies, it sits as a good change of pace 🙂

but then again I don’t watch TV so that is my “sit at home doing nothing” activity.

molgrips
    Free Member

Plyphon, it’s become mine. Kids in bed, wife’s busy weaving, I often put the PS3 on.

nicko74

Personally I don’t “get” games

Picture the scene. You’ve come home from a crappy day at work. Your boss is a twunt, your colleagues are lazy hippos and you seem to be the only one that actually gives two sh*ts. Not that you’re getting paid for it.

You get home, it’s cold and raining, and you’re reminded that the house needs fixing, otherwise the basement’ll flood again, but you don’t have the cash to do it til next year. And the missus wants you to go and do some curtain-choosing over the weekend, so no riding the bike.

Gaming serves exactly the same purpose as every other hobby people have in these circumstances – it’s something else to focus on, completely unrelated to whatever’s stressing you out; it’s a way of unwinding, and giving yourself a sense of achievement and something to think about afterwards. Books/ films/ games, knitting, gardening – it’s all the same. Although some of it is, admittedly, more productive.

Gunz
    Free Member

If you never play them you’re probably not aware how much they’ve advanced in the last 10 years. They can be completely immersive, a satisfying challenge and a way to just zone out for a bit away from the general hiss and static of life.
    I can’t get why so many people will sit on the sofa watching other people play sport on the TV but each to their own, video games aren’t the evil they’re made out to be.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m 33 and still play games (Xbox 360, PS3, 3DS, PC and iPad). I also make games for a living

But I’m a woman, so I can’t contribute to this thread.
    Weird. The games developers I know don’t play games.

GrahamS

The games developers I know don’t play games.

That could be where they are going wrong 😀

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_your_own_dog_food

samuri
    Free Member

For me it’s far more involving playing games than it is watching TV. the original question can easily go the other way, ‘I don’t get adults who watch TV all the time’. I also don’t get going to watch football games, playing golf, going to church, going down the pub all the time, bird watching, fishing etc etc etc.

All these activities are things I don’t get and some of them I personally think are a complete waste of time but each to their own. I don’t question why other people do them because it’s clear it floats their boat.

If all I did was play computer games then yes, that doesn’t seem quite right but game playing takes up a very small part of my life. They’ve certainly never turned me to drugs or car theft.

binners

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘grown men and games consoles’ is closed to new replies.