Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Growing Chillis – Advive needed ….
  • toys19
    Free Member

well she meant me and had to assume about the rest of you as she doesn’t know you lot or anything about you..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

toys19 – Member
    she doesn’t know you lot or anything about you..

That’s what she told you at least…. 😉

toys19
    Free Member

CFH I won’t have anyone casting aspersions about my wife.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

and finally, some fruit of labour (well not much labour really)

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Them pots look a bit small for plants of that size (and still growing). Do you plan on moving them on?
    And they might do better spread out a bit, the ones in the middle may be scrowded and weak.

rexated
    Free Member

well done chunkypaul i reckon, my chilli plants are 4 times the size of that but with no fruits 😥

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You’ve done really well. The chillies you’ve got are really multiplying! You’re in danger of losing control.

z1ppy

Holy thread resurrection…

Should have grabbed some picture (maybe tomorrow), got lots of small chilli’s coming through now ‘undreds of the buggers. We gave a good amount away last year, but froze a large butter containers full for our use – just coming to the end of them now (luckily).
    What anyone else plan to do with their crop? Freezing, jam(?), pickle em?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Freeze them. Dry them. Bottle them sliced in olive oil.

Looks like it is going to be a great crop.

Taff
    Free Member

Will get some pics of mIne up tomorrow. I use mine in a whole load of cooking but I want to Put a couple in some olive oil.

Any of you suffering with pests? My chillis are next to my peppers and something has gnawed a cone shape out of sOme of them

z1ppy

When we tried peppers, they just suffered badly from pests & basically didn’t grow, though whatever it was didn’t like chilli’s too (luckily). No real help, just to say we had the same.. with no obvious enemy to focus on.

One’s on the right were planted late, but are seemingly doing fine if fruiting quite late. They did suffer slightly & one died due to the cat laying on it! (looking for a cool spot)

So no-one got any ‘special’ ways to store chilli’s?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My Apaches and Jalapeños are coming on nicely now, turning fiery red!

Tomato feed seems to be doing really well for them. Going to harvest in a couple of weeks, I reckon.

re storing? I dry mine on a line of thread.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

still going, but will use bigger pots next year and maybe undercover

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Yup those pots are way too small.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

You might try over-wintering a chosen few…

http://www.simpsonsseeds.co.uk/shop/Over-wintering_Chilli_Plants.html

… their ‘heated mat’ is prolly sus they’re in an unheated glasshouse, it might work indoors on the right windowsill.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

prolly cus even

ebygomm
    Free Member

We’ve got plenty of chillis but plants are still flowering too.

Don’t plan on over-wintering ours, I thought I remember reading that they produce the best crop in the first year anyway.

trb
    Free Member

Just stored all of my chillis in the form of Thai curry paste, frozen in ice cube trays.

Thai curry for tea tonight with Pumpkin, Butternut squash, green beens and maybe some brocolli & leek. Not what you’d call a classic Thai recipe, but it’s what I’ve got from the allotment at the moment!

willard

They do tend to produce the best crops in the first year, but for some reason one of my plants has gone mad this year (second year) and produced a ton of large, spicy, long chillis. Next year might be pushing it, so I have started collecting seeds from the best fruits.

That said, I do grow mine in the office these days, as they love the constant temperature and humidity. You just need to keep on top of the watering and feeding, otherwise they get a little dried out.

Current plants are:

3 x Black Pearl (flowering and fruiting heavily)
    1 x Chilli Pyramid (ditto)
    1 x Cherry Bomb (looking a little peaky, but fruiting)
    1 x Pinnochio’s Nose (Huge, fruiting massively)
    1 x Tabasco (On death row. Three small chillis on it and few flowers)

I might try and get the Mauii Purple and Peter Peppers going over winter, and clear out all the rubbish plants in early spring.

corroded
    Free Member

Again, loads of chillis here. Just none that have turned red 🙁

z1ppy

got lots of red and green ones, though some seemingly started to turn brown.. imagining disaster I picked em quick.
    I now have a suspicion these brown ones just a tad hotter than the rest, one of them that drying has turn yellow… maybe should have left a few as an experiment.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I think the benefit of overwintering lies in an earlier crop the following year.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Growing Chillis – Advive needed ….’ is closed to new replies.