Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Grizedale/Winlatter
  • valleydaddy
    Free Member

Grizedale/Winlatter what are these trail centres like??

I am trying to organise a road trip for about 10 of us and instead of the yearly pilgrammage to N.Wales it has been mooted we have a change.

Can anyone advise of good value accommodation local to these?

Many thanks

Pete

loddrik
    Free Member

Not been to whinlater but grizedale is pretty short, easy with lots of fireroad. I still enjoy it though and you have Ti ride it twice to feel like you’ve stretched your legs. Whinlater supposed to be a fair bit better.

Kahurangi

You’d have to do all three Whinlatter loops to make a ride out of it, but at least you keep coming back to the centre.

Better riding to be had au Naturel if you’re in the Lakes.

senorj

Never done the North Face.
    Whinlatter is good fun.It goes up and down.
    Jon Taylor is right ,but you can make a big day out doing the Borrowdale Bash ,for instance , then have lunch and then do the blue & the reds (start/park in Portinscale).

Can’t help with digs though – but there are loads of cottages available.
    Have fun.

drew

Ive ridden at Whinlatter several times as, when I go up to visit my parents, its reachable in 40 minutes . I find it quite testing and it always puts a smile on my face. I still can’t decide which I prefer out of the north and south loops and I’m usually too knackered to get much out of the blue route if I finish on that. I’ve only been to Grizedale once but have to say I wasn’t that impressed with it. Although, to be fair, I think one of the better sections was closed at the time and we had included the visit as part of a loop from langdale.

slowrider
    Free Member

*waves to valleydaddy, fellow LOC member 😀 *

A group of us are heading up there this weekend to ride some non-trail cent stuff, I’ll try to remember to get the camera out

flatfish
    Free Member

Mail me and i’ll give you a couple of great routes out of Keswick if your staying up that far north.

Drac

Ride the bridleways in the Lakes instead much better fun.

globalti
    Free Member

Seconded. Buy the OS maps and get out there, the Lakes is almost unique in having hundreds of miles of ancient bridleways, which never got turned into roads and all well-surfaced and well drained. If a horse could do it, you can on your MTB.

neil853
    Free Member

The MBR route of grizedale is good and pretty easy to follow

BigJohn

Stay at the YHA in Coniston or Hawkshead and there’s enough great riding and pubs for a week. There are plenty of routes available, look at the bogtrotters website, and use the National Front trail to ling them all.

There are some great descents/views that are worth the trip alone. Parkamoor to Nibthwaite is my fave, followed by Carron Crag down to Satterthwaite.

Nice at all times of year, but I like it best when it’s icy.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

😀 cheers guys some good ideas ta 😉

Keep them coming 😀

thefallguy
    Free Member

I love trail centres but in the lakes natural makes for more rewarding days, whinlatter makes a nice morning or afternoon, but its not a full day out imo. You could do a lot worse than having a look at the bogtrotters website, lots of great routes and cross referenced photos too-really helps give youa feel for the terrain if you’re unfamiliar with the routes. Most of the bike shops are happy to help with route advice too.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I felt Whinlatter was a bit of a cut and paste job, fine if that’s your only experience of a trail centre but a bit lacking compared to the better ones. With a bit of extra planning and mapwork you could have a very good day at Grizedale, supposed to be some great bridleways as well as the NF stuff and you have a bike shop and cafe.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

ampthill

North Wales has some great trail centres but not that much bridle way

The lakes has alot more bridle way and less trail centres

I’ve nothing to do with bog trotters but their website show lots of routes and photos for inspiration

Trekster

some good routes here
    Tour of Coniston, Lake District – A truly superb lake district route with fantastic lakeland views By Kevin Hodgson

Bogtrotters have loads of routes

Most of the bike shops in the Lakes have printed maps of all the good trails around the area. Cost a couple of £s and I am sure if you gave Wheelbase, Biketreks or Keswick Mountainbikes a call they would post the best to you.

http://www.mountain-bike-cumbria.co.uk/

http://www.ridethelakes.co.uk/cms/

stevenmenmuir – Member
    I felt Whinlatter was a bit of a cut and paste job, fine if that’s your only experience of a trail centre but a bit lacking compared to the better ones. With a bit of extra planning and mapwork you could have a very good day at Grizedale, supposed to be some great bridleways as well as the NF stuff and you have a bike shop and cafe.

Spent 5hrs a week ago in and around Grizdale without touching the NF trail. We started/finished in Ambleside.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Grizedale’s north face is OK, quite pedally and slow at the start but really there’s far more fun to be had on other trails around Coniston. Head to Wheelbase in Staveley or Bike Treks for some maps and local knowledge to make the most of your time. 2 laps of Grizedale is a waste your time in an area that has so much more to offer.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Grizedale/Winlatter’ is closed to new replies.