Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Grippiest tyre contest
  • big-chief-96
    Free Member

I’m always slowed right down when I hit the wet forest tracks with a combination of mud and lovely slimy roots. None of the tyres I’ve used have ever given true grip in these conditions so, what actually is the grippiest tyre out there? What tyre will take me, where no other tyre can?

sambob
    Free Member

Probably a Maxxis Wet Scream 2.2, but you’d be shattered riding it. Very heavy and very draggy.

CaptJon
    Free Member

as a slight aside, is there anything grippier than frozen crusty mud?

big-chief-96
    Free Member

CaptJon, don’t worry, Im taking full advantage of this ACE weather but we’re in England. Come on, it’s not gonna last…

singlespeedstu

3.8 Nate FTW. 😉

The closest thing you can get to an MX tyre. 8)

3.8 Nate by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

111209_145800 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

Northwind

Grip isn’t an absolute… Like your wet scream there, uncut, is godly in pure mud but ropey on hard stuff because of the tall knobs. And hard stuff can include a rock in a mud-bath, or a big root. So it’s more about finding the right tyre for your exact situation.

FWIW I reckon the tyre I’ve used that copes best with the most conditions, is Specialized’s Hillbilly- but so far it’s a downhill, dualply only tyre so heavy as a heavy thing. Not as draggy as it should be though. Fab tyres though.

Just got a Conti Baron which might do the job you want.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Conti 700 x 23.

Well grippier than any 3.8 shit – on tarmac.

tazzymtb

nate wins, it’ll claw a childs face off and spit the bits out it’s so aggressive

edoverheels
    Free Member

I think that Super Tacky Maxxis Swamp Things are better over roots and anything wet other than gloopy than Wet Screams. However also super draggy.

devilman
    Free Member

I rode home on 42a swampthings on the road the other week. 11/4hrs on tarmac, pretty draggy. But I lived.
    Dm
    So grippy, i love them.

edoverheels
    Free Member

Swampthings on tarmac don’t even freewheel downhill

deanfbm
    Free Member

Swampys aren’t that slow, well not THAT slow compared to high rollers atleast.

I don’t think any tyre is actually going to turn wet roots into dry tarmac.

Also someone hit the nail on the head, anything that works for the gloop, isn’t going be awesome for the roots.

You can’t have your cake and eat it.

jimjam
    Free Member

Northwind Like your wet scream there, uncut, is godly in pure mud but ropey on hard stuff because of the tall knobs. And hard stuff can include a rock in a mud-bath, or a big root.

Naaaah, they are as good on wet roots and rocks as any other tyre if you’re off the brakes.

doverheels

I think that Super Tacky Maxxis Swamp Things are better over roots and anything wet other than gloopy than Wet Screams

Again, no difference if you’re off the brakes.

FWIW Schwalbe Dirty Dans and Michelin DH Muds are grippier than wet screams, but they don’t have quite the same impeccable manners.

Northwind

jimjam – Member

Naaaah, they are as good on wet roots and rocks as any other tyre if you’re off the brakes.

Don’t agree with that, you don’t need to be braking to feel the tyre squirming about.

motorman
    Free Member

Swampies in 42a are hard to beat in regular sizes imo.
    If you are a supersizer, Nates, as mentioned above, are the ultimate traction weapon.

paddy0091
    Free Member

This forum needs a tyre section!

It’s mountain biking, not F1.

😛

Northwind

paddy0091 – Member

It’s mountain biking, not F1.

F1 has only one tyre manufacturer and 6 different tyres 😆 So yep.

scoobmw
    Free Member

Clutch SX’s I used the other night are pretty damn grippy. As I caught up with my cold chums every now and then, boiling hot, while they’re freezing cold standing waiting, I reflected on their appropriateness for the Water of Leith path and a climb up a looooooong road. Grippy didn’t say it … they picked up every bit of dirt on the road/grit/gravel and noisily reminded me of how grippy they are.
    Brilliant on the first off road climb when going for the random off route bog.
    Fun ended there though …. XC after that and I remember well pedalling Downhill while Pete flew by freewheeling. If ever a direct comparison were needed that was it.

Rik
    Free Member

Swampthing on the front (year round) paired with a 2.2 rubber queen. Great combo.

Fat tyres are just that, leave the trail tyres for the trails and the people who can probably ride them properly.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Super tacky 2.35 swampthings are going to be hard to beat. Not too draggy but sooooo grippy.

sofaking
    Free Member

Fat tyres are just that, leave the trail tyres for the trails and the people who can probably ride them properly.

can you tell me the maximum width for a trail tyre please ?

coastkid
    Free Member

This thread is not complete without GW to comment 😆

About a week to go still… 😆 :mrgreen:

Rik; fat tyres are bike tyres, get over it 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

lower your tyre pressure before splashing out on tyres. Plus it might be helpful to give an idea of tyres you don’t think are grippy before people give recommendations.

I_Ache
    Free Member

sofaking – Member

can you tell me the maximum width for a trail tyre please ?

About 4.7″

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Another vote for Nate’s front and back from me.

Absolutely amazing in the mud on technical wet climbs

singlespeedstu

I Ache.
    If the 4.7 is anything like the 3.8 it’s shite in the mud. 😉

As sofaking well knows. 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a wet scream – grippier than a grippy thing but draggy as heck

samuri
    Free Member

Oh ….. yeah

Untitled by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

Works just fine for me, I’ll race yah!

hock

Quite interesting thread actually! Let’s get a little more out of it.

I’ve had 2.1 Nobby Nics and now 2.25 Rocket Rons.
    Same, same really. The Nics were JUST good enough to get around the D2D course.
    But rather in a controlled sliding way, not actually grippy.

I’ve seen more and more “center ridge” type tyres recently.
    While these were positively tame and lame 10-15 years ago I quite liked Specialized The Captains because they rolled really well while being quite grippy at the same time. Didn’t sample them in really muddy conditions though and only as 29er.

So are there any further recommendations for a “grippier than Nobby Nic” tyre in slimy conditions with bearable rolling resistance which fits in a normal frame (so let’s say 2.3 max).

Is the centre ridge thing something that works (for you)?

slackalice
    Free Member

Just fitted some Bonty Mud x’s to my hardtail…. amazing traction and grip in the gloop and roots in and around QE Park, Alton/Chawton etc. Yeah, the front sometimes slides through corners, altho that is probably more due to me not weighting the front enough. Riding the greasy off camber and out of deep wet ruts has become joyous!

When I bought them the LBS recommended 32psi as a start point (I’m approx 10.5 stone) and have found them very predictable at 30psi. I run tubes if that makes any difference?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Grippiest tyre contest’ is closed to new replies.