Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Gravity Enduro Who's In?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

In for all 1,2,4 & 5 so who else is going?

silentsi
    Free Member

I’m doing the first one.

I’m scared.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m currently only entered for round 1.

i’ll enter more, but i was a bit/completely skint when the entries went live*.

don’t be scared, they’re great fun! And if it helps calm you down Si, i can pretty much guarantee that you’ll beat me.

(*as i suspect most people were)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No need to be scared!! Just worry about how much fun it will be!

fbk
    Free Member

Yup, booked in for rounds 1-4 and really looking forward to them. Ae forest stages are looking good…

There’s some concern at the moment though about lack of entries, especially at the later rounds. Fingers crossed people pull their fingers out and get signed on quick.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

a good timley reminder to book them all before you forget!

roddi18
    Free Member

I’m booked on for rounds 1,4,5. Would love to do 2 and 3 but can’t really afford to drive to the other end of the country 3 times for races.
    I think having races spread more evenly down the country would have helped, it is a bit top heavy.
    Should be good though!

Rorschach
    Free Member

A lot of people including me are waiting to see how the first couple of rounds go before commiting.The potential for dissapointment is pretty high! If it survives past the the inevitable initial ‘bumps’ it’ll be a good series.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A lot of people including me are waiting to see how the first couple of rounds go before commiting.The potential for dissapointment is pretty high! If it survives past the the inevitable initial ‘bumps’ it’ll be a good series.

Currently if not enough sign up it might not run so you need to be in soonish if you want to race

Hi All
    This is a bit of a shout for help!
    The entries for all rounds have not filled up as expected, so we really really need you to get entered and fill the series up.
    If it is’nt filled we may have to think about cancelling, this is defo something I don’t want to do, so please please dig deep and get entered.
    Cheers
    Steve

By the looks of whats planned it should be really good

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’d rather not waste £150+ for a weekends racing if it’s not up to scratch.Given the track record I’ll play the wait and see game.If it’s a goer it’ll make a nice change from the usual uk racing scene,if not so be it.I’m not overly confident tho :o(

Northwind

Aye, I see there’s 200 of the 300 spaces already filled for Ae but the others are way lower.

Still in 2 minds myself, depends a bit on the quality of riding and I’ve not really had the answers I’ve been looking for… whether it’s going to be (as the website suggests) just on the trail centre routes, or whether it’ll be more inventive, like the Innerleithen Enduro was earlier in the year (which is the rumour, and Tally and Steve have made comments that seem to back that up but nothing really official). Never had an answer back.

Anyone on here know?

fbk
    Free Member

Given the track record I’ll play the wait and see game

To be fair, Steve Parr (the organiser of the Enduro) has a pretty good track record, having sorted various races including the NPS DH in the past. Admittedly, the history of this sort of racing in th UK is a bit patchy (Kona Mash Up being the classic example) but, according to Parr, that’s why he’s got the top end timing systems sorted, so that that sort of cock up doesn’t happen.

Northwind. I gather the plan is a mix of all available trails in the area. The recce runs to Ae included some of the XC Loop, the DH track (minus the obvious Coffin drop/Step down) and there’s talk of some more natural stuff too. Same with Inners, Afan has some new stuff involved and there’s plenty of building in Eastridge at the mo.

I’m genuinely excited about this series – fingers crossed it will stay afloat!

Amos
    Free Member

Do we think my cotic soul with 36’s is man enough for the task? Or will I be no where!

PeteG55
    Free Member

I’m down for 1,2 and 5. Looking forward to it hugely. Got booked up on those asap. Was hoping to do the Eastridge one as well, but work commitments get in the way.

Northwind

Cheers fbk, that’s the sort of thing I’m hoping for!

Roblilly
    Free Member

I want to do the final round at Afan. Waiting to see responses to the first round before I commit. I’m sure if the first round goes well they will have loads signing up. I’m not sure if I will race on my commencal or the Bfe (that I should be getting soon) I will do a recce to Afan later in the year when I hope there will be more information on what stages will be used

ahwiles
    Free Member

Parr and his team of race-pixies have done this before, and done a brilliant job.

the only change is that this year they’ve got 5 events for us to race, instead of 1 or 2 like the last few years.

amos: this is the type of racing you and your Soul have been waiting for, and i promise you’ll be faster than I.

J0N
    Free Member

I have been waiting to enter as I’m redundant and skint but will enter as soon as the I have the money. I’m surprised that the event has not been filled straight away judging by some threads I’ve read on here. I have a lot of faith for the series and itching to take part. I did the Ae Avalanche last year and loved it. The atmosphere was brilliant especially the Saturday qualifying. I have been informed it’ll technically be a step above that but still perfectly rideable by most people.
    Amos – 140mm travel FS bike for me and I have no reservations about the terrain so your soul will be fine.

dave360

4 n’ 5 fo me.
    This format is the WAY and it’d be a real shame if it was cancelled due to people not wanting to commit.

Horse
    Free Member

First four rounds all entered, really looking forward to it, did Ae last year and loved it.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I’m enetered Rds 1-4. Would have done all five but Afan clashes with Fort William BDS DH Series which is a bit silly really since they will lose entries because of that.

Parr
    Free Member

Steve F – It’s not silly clashing with the BDS, different type of rider involved in this series

Spent a weekend at Eastridge digging and photoshoot with Singletrack, so keep on the lookout for the video on the home page

The stages at round 1 Ae, have been posted on the Facebook group, as the others are finalised we wil post them
    Cheers
    Parr

Horse
    Free Member

“The stages at round 1 Ae, have been posted on the Facebook group, as the others are finalised we wil post them
    Cheers
    Parr “

Facebook biffer here, can’t find that info, is it defo on there?

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

If you go on the fbook page, click events and open up round one.

EdwardH

I am booked for round one, will book the others if I know I will be in the country. I am a wee bit worried as the only other racing I have done in the past is cyclo cross…….

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I might sound a little churlish, but £60 quid sounds like a lot to pay just to be timed on a trail centre that you can usually ride for the cost of the car park.

bobbyspangles

shhhhhhhh. dont question!

neallyman
    Free Member

It’s not silly clashing with the BDS, different type of rider involved in this series

Parr: Isn’t it a bit simplistic to make such a (dare I say it) ‘widesweeping’ comment like that? 100mphplus is just one living breathing example of the fact that this isn’t true…

I’m not saying date clashes with DH Series events is completely avoidable but I think many hardcore DH’ers are very interested in the enduro events so it would be folly to suggest each would attract a ‘different type of rider’ and potentially narrow your target market. Just my thoughts.

grum
    Free Member

I might sound a little churlish, but £60 quid sounds like a lot to pay just to be timed on a trail centre that you can usually ride for the cost of the car park.

Well I did the Avalanche Enduro at Kielder year before last and it was one of the most fun things I’ve ever done – but if you think of it as just being timed then I suppose £60 is steep.

Personally I think it’s a bit lame waiting to see how the first few go but each to their own. I won’t be racing this year as I’m still not well enough but I plan to go to a few and take some pics.

VanHalen

i`d be up for these but they are all chuffing miles away.

a south east dweller.

fbk
    Free Member

The cost issue is going to run and run isn’t it? I’ve just entered my first sportive ride next month. What do I get for my £25? The opportunity to ride with a few hundred other people, round public roads still open to traffic, on a circuit I could easily get off the internet and one or two feed stops thrown in. CRC marathons – £32 to follow some sign posts round mainly public rights of way along with a few hundred people getting stuck in bottle necks on the downhills and getting a rough time at the end ‘coz this most certainly isn’t a race’…. etc etc.

I’m not complaining about these fees, I gladly pay them and I’ll do more of the same because that’s what I enjoy doing – the event, the atmosphere, the buzz of racing your mates and others etc etc.

Yes, these rounds probably could be done cheaper – just like the Kona Mash up…..oh, hang on, that got abandoned with a flood of complaints about poor organisation…

I guess the people who are entering this series just “get” the whole concept of proper enduro racing and are happy to pay the going rate to have it done properly, with accurate timing and good organisation. I’m sure people will argue against these points but fine – don’t race, that’s your choice. I can’t wait 🙂

crotchrocket
    Free Member

What do I get for my £25? The opportunity to ride with a few hundred other people, round public roads still open to traffic, on a circuit I could easily get off the internet and one or two feed stops thrown in. CRC marathons – £32 to follow some sign posts round mainly public rights of way along with a few hundred people getting stuck in bottle necks on the downhills and getting a rough time at the end ‘coz this most certainly isn’t a race’…. etc etc.

£25 or even £35 is a lot less than £60. I rode 8 or 10 Marathons they are much longer (& a bit shit IMHO – I just can’t tolerate the crowds anymore), but at least you get access to new trails on private land and natural stuff in the woods which isn’t way marked except for ‘race day’.
    I won’t comment on Sportives – never done one as I ain’t a roadie.

Grum> I also rode an Avalanche Enduro at Kielder, I enjoyed it alot. I even got the T-Shirt for early entry 😉 but IIRC it was considerably less than £60.

fbk
    Free Member

crotchrocket – I’m not sure a 50km CRC marathon is “longer” than the enduro routes?
    And yes, I agree re the crowds – that’s another appeal of this format – you get the social side of things on the ups but, when it comes to the timed sections, you’re on your own.
    As for following way marked trails, the stages aren’t just on a circuit of trail centre routes – they’re apparently using a mix of well known bits along with variations on these and some “off piste” stuff too.

Regardless of your views, the increased costs are predominantly down to the top end timing systems used – 5 stages = 5 separate systems. That’s been the stumbling block with previous attempts (Kielder Avalanche included) and that’s what Parr and his team have focussed on.

Edit: and iirc, Kielder was around 50-60 euros 2 years ago which isn’t far off the cost, with a very basic timing system

grum
    Free Member

Grum> I also rode an Avalanche Enduro at Kielder, I enjoyed it alot. I even got the T-Shirt for early entry but IIRC it was considerably less than £60.

Think it was about £45-£50 and didn’t include camping. I remember thinking it was steep but still really enjoyed it. Everything has got more expensive since then too.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

fbk> 50K isn’t a Marathon is it – it’s a half marathon & if you rode that you wouldn’t usually hit the best trails, they are reserved for the Mid or longer routes. IME.

I’m not arguing against the format. I really enjoyed the Enduro I did before. & regardless of your views, as a consumer I don’t care why the costs have gone up, I just want to know what I get for my cash – and the site doesn’t explain any of this.
    I just think that a 50% uplift in cost over a few years is a bit much.
    Furthermore the seeding system sounds like a good idea, but it means if even if I put in a group entry for me & my buddies I won’t spend the day riding with them.

OK, so they have had to increase the technology & you tell me they are adding in more than ‘just the trail centre’ but that is what you say, not what their site says.

Perhaps I prefer my riding more social & I’m not committed enough to ‘racing’. I guess I’ll leave the racing to the committed racers.

for that reason, I’m out.

grum
    Free Member

Surely the point is not to ride with the mates you always ride with, but meet people and have a good craic with them? Was certainly the case for me. I’m not really a ‘racer’ either, but if I was well enough I’d be onto this like a shot.

bobbyspangles

cost is the issue for me i am afraid, i raced the Ae enduro and ride the Mega each year so £60 dores not seem like good value to be honest.

also i have been burnt, like many, by the kona **** ups.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Moan, Moan, Moan,

Been racing mtb bikes every year since the Marlborough Classic in 1990ish?. 21 years of Dh, XC & 4x in all that time I have never organised a series or single race because, well… I can’t be arsed. I am just glad there are people out there who are willing to run events for me to enjoy. And I don’t mind if the people who are willing to put the time and energy into events make a little profit.

The sport in this country needs more races of this style and if in order for the series to be proffesional and well organsied to a national standard series i don’t mind paying a little more to secure that.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Grum> if I’m honest ‘the point’ is to go as fast as you can and win. But I won’t win 😉
    I like my mates, why would i not want to ride with them??
    strangers are largely OK, but some of them are geeks from the internets! 😛

I am just glad there are people out there who are willing to run events for me to enjoy.

I don’t think all of them are doing it to ensure they go to heaven, there might be some money made along the way, call me a cynic if you want.

grum
    Free Member

I have never organised a series or single race because, well… I can’t be arsed. I am just glad there are people out there who are willing to run events for me to enjoy.

This is the thing. I used to organise club nights – in a small town with not a lot going on we put on some big names from the breaks/dnb scene, paid loads to get decent sound systems, decor etc etc – still lots of people who couldn’t be arsed to do anything themselves would sit around and moan about it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Gravity Enduro Who's In?’ is closed to new replies.