Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Gravity Enduro Series entries now open.
  • cookeaa

it does sound expensive, but then last years Mountain mayhem was £65 for a solo racer, and all you do there is race around a field and pass over a timed mat, so comparable really – if not better value.

Considering the organisation involved both events seem like a bargain the Gravity Enduro even more so:

MM is a single timing loop (only one timing mat to cross), the multi-stage Endurance format will require several timing stations all of them manned no doubt, event timing is a business not really done on a charitable basis so each set of timing equipment & personnel adds significant cost, once you throw in a spangly “live timing” display for the finish, a PA, Medics (probably need more medics at an event with more “DHey” racing), Marshalling (Even volunteer marshals will incur basic T&S costs), venue fees, Mobile shit houses, catering and all the other peripheral costs then yeah £60 for a weekend of Endurance racing starts to make sense…

MM has run for a long time now and therefore has acquired more sponsorship and the organisers can probably guarantee their suppliers/sponsors/trade stand regulars a good sized event on the same weekend every year for the next 3-5ish years, quite a bargaining chip if you want to try and fix costs and incomes for a regular event, which a “start up” like this simply hasn’t got yet…

vinnyeh

MM has run for a long time now and therefore has acquired more sponsorship

Dunno, the event seems to have a longer list of sponsors than even njee20. Still, you don’t know how much, if anything, the sponsors are fronting up with.
    It’s costing more than I expected, but it was on my want-to-do list, and it’s not bank breaking so I’ll do one or two rounds- to be honest if you wanted to do the whole series then the entry fees would be pretty insignificant compared to the logistics of racing around the country.

It’s nice to see the organisers going in balls’n’all to try and make a decent set of events- if it works, good on them- if not, they weren’t shy about trying.

fbk
    Free Member

For anyone still not really sure what this format is all about, there’s a pretty good interview with Steve Parr (the series organiser) here

As for the price, everyone seemed to be expecting £50-55 for this. Is an extra £5 really going to make all that much difference? I’ve done several endurance rides in the past few years and I see the CRC ones are £32 – that’s just for 1 day riding round the countryside in a huge group, largely on pre-existing rights of way, following signposts, with a very rough overall time given at the end (but it’s most definitely NOT a race!) 🙂

Sancho
    Free Member

Its a total rip off.

I compete in the national (motorbike) enduro championships and northern enduros and these have far more marshall requirements, timing, lap scoring etc etc and they are coming in at £35.

So it looks like a piss take, just like all mountain bike events in the UK
    for £40 you can do the Cristalp and that is an event where there are helicopter ambulance cover, road closures, absolutely masses of organistaion etc.

fbk
    Free Member

Sancho – I think maybe you should read the rest of the thread, specifically regarding government subsidies of sporting events in Europe when comparing to Cristalp?

Also, why would a motorbike enduro require more expense to set up? I understand maybe more marshalls are needed given the longer distances covered but why more timing, etc? I can’t imagine Marshalls are paid much. Not trying to be arsey, just interested.

Simon-E

Some of the comments here seem pointlessly negative.

Is £60 to enter a race event such a big deal compared to how much you spend on your bikes?

If so then fine, don’t enter. Spend the money on yet another set of tyres, some overpriced sunglasses or extra bling for your bling bike* that’s already blinged up instead.

* not the everyday bike or the hack bike or the CX/road bike.

wors

Yeah but it’s not just sixty quid is it. Travelling, food etc.

GW
    Free Member

so you wouldn’t pay to travel if you were just riding there instead of racing? and persumably you eat every day! 🙄

mountainbike racing costs a **** fortune! deal with it!

wors

No i rarely travel to ride my bike.

Parr
    Free Member

Some great comments and some not so great, the website is being constantly updated with info and sponsors ( not just for the winners either).
    Lots of questions to try and answer –
    The 1 about stickers made me laugh, we need to get fundamentals right first off, then year 2, just for you, a goodie bag is top of list.

Anyone who thinks it’s pricey, a DH or XC race has 1 set of electronic timing, we have 5 sets + 12 people running it, FC charges, BC insurance, ground rent on finish arena, toilets, skips,Commissaires, the list is long.
    Speaking to an XC racer and he pay’s £21-£26 for 1 race, thats possibly 2 hours long, with a little siting lap early on in the day, still think its expensive??

Sancho – Thanks for your comment, won’t be expecting to see you trackside in 2011

Will try to keep up with posts, been away for the weekend, so missed a few

PeteG55
    Free Member

Steve – I’m entered a 3 of the events, but due to work stuff I can’t control, I can no longer enter the Eastridge event. Is it possible to get my entry moved to the Kielder one instead?

ash

Yeah but it’s not just sixty quid is it. Travelling, food etc.

Erm, yes, which futher REDUCES the % difference in the overall cost of your weekend compared to, say, doing another event costing £40!!

a DH or XC race has 1 set of electronic timing, we have 5 sets + 12 people running it

I know how complicated a multi-stage-per-day enduro is to operate and I’m 100% with Parr on this. I bet they are barely breaking even.

As some have said, if you think it’s too expensive, it’s not as if you have to do it! However don’t go branding things a “rip-off” when in reality you have no clue of the cost price.

Rant over 🙂

Parr
    Free Member

Pete – Drop a line to the timing Guy’s, they should be able to sort it no probs, don’t forget all the info you got as confirmation
    If you have any probs drop me a line
    Cheers
    Steve

Rockplough
    Free Member

The 1 about stickers made me laugh, we need to get fundamentals right first off, then year 2, just for you, a goodie bag is top of list.

Awesome.

Please call it the ‘Rockplough Goodie Bag’ and I’ll send you a mugshot you can print on the side.

Seriously though, best of luck with the series. When all’s said and done I would have probably done the Ae round but I can’t get to it. Will try and do Inners.

Trekster

a DH or XC race has 1 set of electronic timing, we have 5 sets + 12 people running it
    I know how complicated a multi-stage-per-day enduro is to operate and I’m 100% with Parr on this. I bet they are barely breaking even.

The mat style system with a chip incorporated in a number plate cost my club £14k 2yrs ago 😯 Takes a lot of events to recoup that type of money.
    Not sure what they cost now but the dibbers used on a trailquets/MTBO event would be charged to you @ £20+ as do NoFuss with their 10style events.
    An example of cost is £15 per lap as a team of 4 who can only manage 2 laps each 🙄 Must do better(unlikely) 😕

Parr
    Free Member

Rockplough
    Exchanged a couple of emails with people today, we are going to have a limited amount of stickers at sign on, we will hide them when we see you though 😀 , its a work in progress 😉

You will love Inners, if some of you have never ridden there and just gone to Glentress, stop off before you hit Glen and go do the XC route, get you legs warm before you hit the 1st climb though, if your adventerous pop into iCycles and have a chat to Steve he has all the local knowledge

Parr
    Free Member

We are pleased to announce that all cats are now sponsored 🙂

Youth – Leisure Lakes
    Junior – O’Neal clothing
    Senior – Maxxis/Sunline
    Masters – Troy Lee Clothing
    Vets – Continetal tyres
    Women – Ticket 2 Ride BC holidays
    Elite Women – Fenwicks cleaner and Lubes
    Elite Male – Zelusi Supplements

There will also be a some spot prizes for other than the top 3 in each cat
    Checkout http://www.ukgravityenduro.co.uk for all the latest info

Horse
    Free Member

You need beeps.
    At the start of the special stages.

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Gravity Enduro Series entries now open.’ is closed to new replies.