• This topic has 59 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jwt.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • graphic novels.where to start?
  • stuey
    Free Member

Transmetropolitan ( again)

Top Ten

tron
    Free Member

Beano then Viz.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Maus

Northwind

Preacher and, since you like scifi, Transmetropolitan. I don’t like comics that much tbh but these were fantastic. Not flawless, Preacher goes off in the middle and Transmetropolitan gets in a few wee ruts, but still both fantastic.

My brother would recommend you Nicolai Dante and recent Slaine… But the problem with Slaine is that there’s about 10 years of not-particularily-good to deal with before you get to the relatively recent, gobsmackingly beautiful ones.

HermanShake
    Free Member

A lot has been said already.

100% by Paul Pope is quite unusual and short too, dystopian future where instead of simply watching girls strip they have sensors which allow you to view their internal organs. It’s poignant, not gratuitous and it’s merely a fraction of the story.

Looks like this:

Hard Boiled by Frank Miller is great, as is Sin City and his Batman series. Akira is essential. I don’t care what semantic piffle has been written about Manga; read some. Alan Moore is obviously a comic veteran too.

I quite like Monkey vs Robot for something different. Check out your local library, they usually have a section.

racefaceec90

i just thought i would let you know what i got in the end (i think i made a good choice 😀 had a quick scan through it in the shop (and was very impressed with the artwork) am looking forward to reading it 😀

deluded
    Free Member

You wont regret that – Brilliant book.

Do both those legs belong to you?

Skyrim gets ever closer.

racefaceec90

yes 😉 it isn’t long now till skyrim 😀 i bought 5th anniversary edition as i couldn’t find goty anywhere (and wanted to play shivering isles/knights of the nine) was £24.99 at gamestation (it includes a bonus dvd of the making of the game)

MSP

Not much british stuff suggested, so….

ABC warriors
    bad company
    hewligans haircut
    charlie’s war

stevio

try The Authority stories- Superheros who are not perfect by any means…

velosaurus
    Free Member

This reminds me to dig out The Ballard of Halo Jones series I have somewhere 😀

colournoise

On the British tip got a soft spot for Zenith here.

(Marshall Law was a top call too – love O’Neill’s artwork).

slainte 8) rob

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

I liked Punisher: Born by Garth Ennis.
    Jokers Asylum, Arkham Asylum and the Batman: Black Glove onwards series.

AngusWells

By Toutatis, there can be only one…..

dogbert
    Free Member

Hellblazer, I enjoyed that

Can’t go wrong with Dark Knight Returns though, after that get Arkham Asylum

Kevevs
    Free Member

Cages by Dave McKean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cages_(comics) about as good as you are gonna get.

coogan
    Free Member

Dark Knight Returns is ace.

Watchmen is even acer. If only for this fella.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Arkham Asylym is a load of bollucks. unless you care about a rich priviledged grown man dressing up as a bat and fighting crime. The artist himself has disassociated himself from it. and done much better things.

kimbers

actually your local library is a good place to start, mine has a pretty good selection

jwt
    Free Member

Forgot about these two……

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘graphic novels.where to start?’ is closed to new replies.