Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Grand Designs last night
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

😐 That came out of the blue. Hugely impressed with her for carrying on.

Nice house built under difficult conditions – architect seemed like a great help.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

*nods*

Shibboleth
    Free Member

It had me in tears…

I mean, slate roof???

organic355
    Free Member

what happened?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

A couple planned to build a new house, he was diagnosed with stomach cancer at the start of filming and died before work started.

His widow finished the house for herself and the kids. It was very moving, and she showed great strength of character to complete the project. She was a teacher with no building experience.

Nice house too.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Very brave hard working woman, good helpfull architect and a good honest builder. As for Kevin well ……. ?

djglover
    Free Member

That was one of the best houses I’ve seen on that show, didn’t realise her plight until right at the end though as was only half watching it

TheBishop
    Free Member

It seems that in every episode the lady gets pregnant before the build is complete. Thank god this was a different storyline.

You’re right, it was very tearful. made me feel very humble.

nickc

Very brave woman. Lovely home.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yep, I was thinking that it was probably one of my fave episodes of the show (along with the woodsmans house in the forest) – simple house done on a very strict/small budget. Should be more projects shown like that.

No ego’s in sight. I think Mr K did it quite well actually.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Totally agree with Sharkbait. I really felt for the poor lass. I was gobsmacked when he said he’d died. One of the nicer ‘modern’ homes I’ve seen on GD too. Not just a case of chucking money at it and ending up with a boring glass/white box. Very nice.

nickf
    Free Member

Nice woman, tragic circumstances, but I hated the house.

If I hear “crisp”, “clean” or “minimal” just one more time, I’m going to (almost) literally explode.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I was very impressed with the architect – as I understood it he was a mate of the guy who died and was steering things mostly as a friend.

I was a bit disappointed he didn’t get more of a pat on the back from Kev’s final piece to camera; it would not have gone so well without his constant input.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Thanks for the ‘heads up’ we’ve got in on the hard drive, will ensure there’s eye drying equipment to hand when MrsMm hits ‘play’…

spooky_b329

I don’t normally enjoy the ones where there is a client, architect and builder, a good grand design is where the client is builder and skint, like the charcoal burner and the young couple rebuilding the stone house on the Welsh hillside. Last night was an exception though, was brilliant.

iain1775
    Free Member

The Bishop – Member
    It seems that in every episode the lady gets pregnant before the build is complete. Thank god this was a different storyline.

Nah your mixing Grand Designs up with Property Ladder and Sarah ‘big tits, bigger belly’ Beeny 😉

Very moving though, nice house and yep showed great character and all concerned including the tradesmen pulled off a good job in difficult circumstances

takisawa2

One of the best episodes I’ve seen. Superb outcome. Kept getting dust in the eye whenever it showed those two children. Totally tragic.
    House was excellent. Not OTT, just a modern take on a 3-bed family home.
    Would love to do something like that.
    Wonder if my neighbour would mind. Ours being a semi I think he might.

Harry_the_Spider

I filled up so much that the I got a “nose ache”. What a woman she was!

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Dare I be the first to say it, MILF ?

woody74

Your right the partner does always get up the duff half way through the project and they have to have the baby whilst living in a caravan. Poor planning if you ask me.

Start of the year jacked my job in and started my own business, lots of stress and uncertainty and then whats happens, wife gets pregnant. Is god trying to tell me I am just as bad at planning as most of the hapless couples on Grand Designs.

jam-bo

nice story but house ended up looked like one of those modern methodist chapels from the outside.

should have had a big illuminated cross outside.

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

It did look like a church! One of these moderns ones were young men called Arthur and Winston go to clap and sing and meet potential wives.

MussEd
    Free Member

And someone {kevin} should have told the widow to tie her hair back before donning the requisite hardhat. Not a good look.

Was quite emotional all in all…

alpin
    Free Member

agree with most of the above….

nice build.

i also think the best designs are those where the client is the architect and builder and pulls something off that is designed for them, by them.

nice bit of inspiration last night, though.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

kingkongsfinger – Member
    Dare I be the first to say it, MILF ?

Nah, she had a look of Nikki “Who Is She???” Graham off of Big Brother about her.

Anyway, pound to a penny that the house isn’t the only erection her and that architect have been working on.

Curly68
    Free Member

Enjoyed last night’s episode as well. Fairly local to me as well. Good for her for carrying it on.
    One of my workmates friends designed that kitchen and another of his friends was the fitter that said “it’s square” when she remarked how big it was! Apparently he got a right ribbing on FB for that!

Monkey
    Free Member

Yup amazing episode, the shots of the children had me choked up every time. Was thinking at the start what a good bloke he seemed with the beardy wierdy comment, then just shock. Nothing but admiration for her in our household.

stucol
    Free Member

Is it not just typical that some people feel the need to lower the tone.

Trawling ? oh yes.

Anyway, i thought it was an excellent episode. Had me sniffing too,being a widower i thought it was just me but i can see many others found it moving.

The bit about their son sleeping soundly his first night in the house was particularly memorable.

Oh and never seen Kevin being talked over before. Guess he was being gentlemanly about the situation.

And finally, with you Sharkbait, on Ben Law’s house being one of the best ever.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just watched it on 4OD. Quite surprised to see Jerry, the architect. He’s my wife’s cousin’s cousin and I’ve met him at a few family bashes. He really is that nice. As is his wife and their kids Shibboleth….

House was cool. Like the way it stood out amongst the neighbourhood.

CountZero

Wonderful episode, and I loved the house, a really modern, uncluttered design with the space where it’s important. I got quite emotional at times too. She and the kids really deserve to have a good happy life in that house.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well I finally saw it last night.

Really was almost in tears – wonderful woman, amazing. Couldn’t stop talking mind you!

I liked the house mainly, but it did look a little bland front on. The roof looked like a tie fighter!

I thought it would have been cool to make a roof garden in the channel between the two roof planes.

Also – does anyone know the final budget she had? I know it WAS £200k, but that was scaled back after Nic’s death.

I would buy that woman a drink and hug her – she deserves good things in life for coming through that so strongly.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs last night’ is closed to new replies.