Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Gran Torino not very good.
  • butcher

Entertainment?

Drac

Like what?

There is no point, some critics will try to tell you there is but it’s there to entertain, to provide a story and that’s what it did.

athgray
    Free Member

It is surely possible to provide a film that entertains as well as seriously tackles issues of the day? Gran Torino does not do this!

RealMan
    Free Member

Just be prepared for it, it’s definitely not a lazy Sunday morning film.

Others that would be worth a watch (if you haven’t already):

Requiem for a Dream
    World’s Greatest Dad (bit of a wild card)
    City of God
    Babel
    Biutiful
    21 Grams

Also I’d really recommend End of Watch to anyone who liked Gran Torino. They’re quite different, but when I think of solid, entertaining American films that avoid getting too Hollywood and have a good mixture of scenes, they’re both somewhere near the top of my list.

It is surely possible to provide a film that entertains as well as seriously tackles issues of the day? Gran Torino does not do this!

Zombieland, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim vs the World. All fantastic films. Don’t think they really tackle too many issues. Sometimes it’s nice for a film to do that, but sometimes it’s nice when it doesn’t bother.

Drac

True but I not sure that was it’s intention.

ska-49
    Free Member

I really didn’t enjoy Gran Torino.

I strongly suggest watching these instead;
    American History X (one of my favourite films)
    Requiem for a Dream
    Babel

athgray
    Free Member

Have seen Babel and City of God. Babel is OK but I really liked City of God.

butcher

Harry Brown is a good movie which isn’t massively different to Gran Torino. Just better executed.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Think Crash is one of the most engaging films about racism I’ve seen. Brilliantly acted and shot.

Must try to see Gran Torino.

athgray
    Free Member

The younger members of Clint’s neighbours were born in America but no mention was made of their American/Korean heritage. The film would have been more interesting with more ambiguity.

spacemonkey

GT: decent enough but wouldn’t take time out to see it again
    This is England: ‘kin brutal!

Well good, especially the bit where he kicked the black guy’s head in”…….

SPOILER: That’s the bit at the end IIRC? Revolting to watch but sadly all too illustrative of the film’s message.

IanW
    Free Member

This is England- havent seen the pitch for this movie but judging by the clip its a historical drama with an agenda?

Gran Torino- brilliant film by a exceptional film maker, not sure he’s properly recognised yet , maybe he’ll have to peg it first.

alpin
    Free Member

+1 for Harry Brown. Nice, in a way…

Another interesting film is Mammoth. Not racist or anything, just good.

Oh, and Revenge, or is it called Revanche… Can’t remember, but also good.

spacemonkey

BTW, the little boy in TIE wasn’t an actor when he got the part. He also said he’d spend a load of money doing up his bike if he got paid. Good lad 🙂

King-ocelot
    Free Member

People thinking Gran Tourismo are realistic

Gran Turismo is realistic in the graphics but Forza has it on gameplay everytime.

On a serious note Tyrannosaur as RM suggested is a fantastic film. Very hard hitting. It stayed with me for weeks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

One i saw at xmas for the first time that i thought was pretty brutal – kidulthood

curiousyellow
    Free Member

If you want something that tackles racism then you should watch The Guard. Hard hitting and emotional from start to finish.

Very realistic too.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

True but I not sure that was it’s intention.

It was its intention, Eastwood regularly explained what he wanted the film to tackle, American racial tension being one of them. It failed on that front clearly but that aside like all Eastwood directed films it was horribly childish and naive. Clunky and contrived. Bloody rubbish basically.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

athgray – Member
    The younger members of Clint’s neighbours were born in America but no mention was made of their American/Korean heritage. The film would have been more interesting with more ambiguity.

That would be bcause they weren’t Korean, they were Hmong.

But then I suppose they all look the same to you, etc etc 😉

plus-one

Clint growling his way through the movie is utter class 🙂

Story/believable ?? Who cares it entertained me !!

joolsburger
    Free Member

like all Eastwood directed films it was horribly childish and naive.

Unforgiven?

Edukator
    Free Member

I enjoyed it. I lent the DVD to friends and they enjoyed it. I’m surprised some think Clint failed in his own stated objectives. The message was clear enough not to be lost in translation.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Didn’t see a lot of childishness in Million Dollar Baby.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Gran Torino not very good.’ is closed to new replies.