Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Gran Torino not very good.
  • athgray
    Free Member

Just watched Gran Torino for the first time tonight. I thought it might be an insight into racism in America. It dealt with race issues in a very clunky way. Not realistic at all. Some shocking acting.
    Anyone else agree.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well, if you watched to gain insight into racism in America, i can see why you were disappointed.

Nevertheless, it is a great film

hels
    Free Member

No. Great film. (makes mental note not to watch anything athgray likes)

PiknMix
    Free Member

Amazing film, in fact I’m going to dig it out for another watch.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You sure you didn’t accidentally watch Starsky and Hutch?

athgray
    Free Member

What’s great about it? What were you expecting Charlie? I felt the same after watching Crash.

kennyp
    Free Member

Superb film. Mrs Kenny was in tears by the end.

warton
    Free Member

I think you’re looking in the wrong place for an insight into racism in America. you’d need a lot longer than 2 hours to even scratch the surface…

great film

piemonster

Aye. Good film.

RealMan
    Free Member

I thought it was one of the best films of 2008 actually. Apart from the dodgy singing at the end.

There are a few very hollywood-esque moments in it where it’s kinda explained to the audience what exactly is going on, despite it being obvious to anyone with an IQ over 90, but if you can look past those it’s a great film.

“Yeah, I blow a hole in your face, and then I go in the house, and I sleep like a baby.”

Or

“Ever notice that you come across somebody once in a while that you shouldn’t have f***ed with?”

kennyp
    Free Member

I thought it might be an insight into racism in America

It dealt with race issues in a very clunky way. Not realistic at all.

At the risk of being a pedantic little sod, if you needed an insight then how do you know it wasn’t realistic?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d say very good, but “great” would be flattering it a tad.

Watching it for an insight into race issues? You might as well watch The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Drac

Great film superbly directed and Clint doing his great bit at being hard as coffin nails.

allthegear
    Free Member

In what way was it “not realistic at all”? Upon what are you making that judgement?

I liked the film but then I’m not really a big film watcher.

Rachel

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

And no noticeable racism at all!

athgray
    Free Member

I fear I may be adrift from public opinion here. I recently saw This is England and it’s follow ups which I think cover aspects of race and other issues in a far more subtle way.

warton
    Free Member

Really?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm0RqN_1VO8[/video]

athgray
    Free Member

In terms of realism, I thought that virtually all the dialogue was unbelievable.

Drac

This is England is far from subtle.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bit too much Clint-Squint for my liking. Some folk love that kind of thing though.

Davesport

Just watched Gran Torino for the first time tonight. I thought it might be an insight into racism in America. It dealt with race issues in a very clunky way. Not realistic at all. Some shocking acting.
    Anyone else agree.

No I don’t ! Don’t give up your day job in pursuit of becoming a film critic 😯

GT’s an absolute Gem. What planet are you on ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“bang” “bang”……

i thought it was a quality movie – and im not a clint fan at all … hes a bit – wooden imo. but perfect for that roll

athgray
    Free Member

I may be wrong saying subtle as This is England deals with outright Fascism at times, however I thought the characters were more engaging and believable. I will hold my hands up if people like Gran Torino, I just thought it wasn’t for me.

samuri
    Free Member

I liked it. It came out at the same time as Harry Brown which was reasonably similar on our side of the Atlantic. That was OK too.

tyger
    Free Member

athgray – you’re just plainly wrong! 🙂

I thought it was great – plan to watch it again soon!

butcher

I had very low expectations of Gran Torino but ended up finding it quite entertaining. Wasn’t bad at all.

athgray
    Free Member

The police officer said to the minister ‘We arrived with you, so we are leaving with you.’ Before dragging the minister into the police car.
    A man sacrifices his life for boy he has known for a matter of weeks who comes from a race he has hated for 60 years. If you think that is in any way shape or form believable, Hollywood here we come!!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

OMG what’s wrong with you people it was an absolute stinker , I can’t believe anybody thought it was any good . Poor story , not very well acted , very unlikely storyline . Totally with the OP here although I would never watch a Clint film and expect to gain an insight into real issues.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

You thought Crash was poop?

athgray
    Free Member

Yes I did. I feel that most American output that refers to race tends to tiptoe around the issue. Hollywood’s Portrayal of race tends to be very black or white. (No pun intended).

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

American History X?

boxelder

Not great, but I enjoyed it.
    Agree that it’s not believable or gives any insights into anything (wasn’t expecting it to).

athgray
    Free Member

Perhaps because I had not seen it I was expecting more. I am a fan of Clint Eastwood normally, I just thought this film said nothing of value.
    I haven’t seen American History X for a while but I thought it was quite good.

brakes
    Free Member

I didn’t particularly like it.
    Bit slow, Dirty Harry gone a bit stale.
    I don’t think it skirts around any particular issues, more skims the surface and delivers a bit of a long-winded and simple parable.
    Might have made a reasonable short film.

alpin
    Free Member

Re. This is England….
    Guy I used to work with an old skin head…. Even had “skins” tattooed on his forehead (although the first S was written backwards as he had done it in the mirror whilst in Borstal, but that’s another story). I said that perhaps he should see it. Spoke to him about it next time I saw him, asked him what he thought: “yeah good… Well good, especially the bit where he kicked the black guy’s head in”…….

Nice.

RealMan
    Free Member

athgray, give Tyrannosaur a go. A lot less Hollywood, and a lot harder hitting, with a fair amount of insight into various issues (although only a little racism).

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I liked it.

athgray
    Free Member

Thanks Real man will look into it. I like films with realistic issues. People thinking Gran Tourismo are realistic should watch something like Hillsborough.

Drac

I didn’t expect it to be realistic, perhaps that was your problem.

athgray
    Free Member

Maybe Drac. If that is the case what is the point of a film like that?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Gran Torino not very good.’ is closed to new replies.