Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • GPS for car – recommendations?
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

I'm looking for a pretty basic GPS for the car. We went shopping for one yesterday and got lost on the way to the GPS shop, which highlights the fact that we need one I think!

I think it's between a Garmin Nuvi 205 and a Tom Tom One IQ Routes.

does anyone have experience of either (or other reommendations)?

geoffj

The functionality and accuracy of those 2 are pretty similar.
    Garmin customer service is excellent, TomTom is not IMHO.

mrchrispy

nothing really between the two. not had cause to call tomtom as I've always 'evaluated' the software but i did call garmin about a dodgy cadence sensor fofr my edge and they sent a new one out no problem.
    go for the garmin

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

The Gadget Show on 5 had a look at some of these last week as part of their electric bike review – not sure whether it's relevant or not..

http://demand.five.tv/Episode.aspx?episodeBaseName=C5146430004

Edit – tried the link myself – doesn't appear to work…?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I had the TomTom and it was ok. However, due to its inability to accept larger maps (thanks for your help, uplink) I returned it and chose the Nuvi.
    The TT taking me from Dunkirk to Wroclaw (Poland) wanted me to drive with all the lorries towards Berlin. The 205W took me down towards Dresden, no lorries, new autobahn, glorious views and fewer miles.
    No TomTom for me, Garmin all the way (besides, you can upgrade maps and stuff, and IT HAS A SD CARD SLOT).

aviemoron
    Free Member

I'm just not getting on with the whole satnav thing. I have always used a map and if need be jotted down wee crib notes (basic rally style) but having just started a contract in a new city I bought a TT. It seems ok, but I just can't get on with blindly following it – and it's recommendations.
    I still need to study the route overview, memorise some road names, etc before I'm happy.
    And to tell the truth it's missed some tricky wee junctions, so not totally infallibale.
    Maybe I've not spent enough time with it, but I also find it quite distracting.

smudge
    Free Member

The Navigon 3300 Max Sat Nav looks pretty good and has good reviews £120 from halfrods
    It also shows roads not as lines, but realistically, with asphalt and road markings.
    Wouldnt mind hearing from anyones who'se got one of these

Hairychested
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure in UK you'll be fine with the majority of GPS, what about going abroad? Maps are fine, I like them a lot, but they don't give traffic updates.

Flaperon

Was not impressed with a friend's recent Garmin Nuvi 205, seemed seriously lacking in CPU horsepower and took him a really stupid way through Devon. [20 miles of winding backroads instead of the motorway almost to front door]. Even the earliest TomToms know how to get to us.

Never had a bad experience with a TomTom sat nav.

Ewan
    Free Member

I brought a Garmin 255 which is the same (more or less) as the 205 but has european mapping. Seems to do everything i need, and is pretty quick (not sure about Flaperon's comment above – my one has always seemed very quick even with detail on hi). You can choose to route via points very simply (useful for avoiding mountain roads in the alps, or places you know there are roadworks). Also does a load of useful stuff like being able to press the car symbol while driving and getting directions to the nearest petrol station / hotel / shop / whatever.

I paid 90 quid, which was a lot cheaper than the equivelent Tom Tom.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘GPS for car – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.