Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Goodbye Mr Cadbury.
  • me1onhead
    Free Member

I would argue that Cadbury's chocolate just doesn't taste the same as when I was a kid (MANY years ago), but even so it tastes a damn sight better than anything I have ever tasted from the other side of the pond. So it seems a great shame that the takeover from U.S. giant Kraft looks pretty much like a done and dusted deal.(I can't see the shareholders rejecting that kind of offer somehow)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8467007.stm
    How long before Cadbury and its work force become the next Volvo and is tossed on the scrap heap never to be seen again?
    Shame, shame, shame.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Half of Cadbury chocolate sold in the UK is made in Europe. Cadbury Eclairs? Poland.

You are living in the past.

And I think Volvo is still going, but Saab may not be.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Volvo?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coffeeking
    Free Member

Cadbury chocolate was lovely, but (other than the dairy milk) it has gone downhill. Much like galaxy etc – "new and improved" flavours all taste revolting. Not sure it'll change again due to change of ownership, but chocolate in general doesnt taste as good as it did.

ski
    Free Member

Now Kraft have it, you can guarantee less will be made here 😉

Didn't Kraft close close down the Terry’s factory in York?

turneround

forget cadbury… everyone should eat willy's Cacao….. the venezuelan 72 is amazing…

bigsi
    Free Member

forget cadbury… everyone should eat willy's Cacao….. the venezuelan 72 is amazing…

and so it bloody well should be for the price 😯

me1onhead
    Free Member

Yeah Saab. D'oh!!

Drac

and so it bloody well should be for the price

He has to pay for the rent on that bug house some how.

wwaswas

blessed are the cheesemongers for they shall gain ownership of the chocolate makers.

mcboo
    Free Member

Please define what constitutes a British company. Corporates are owned by pension funds, mutual funds and insurance companies. Takeovers are never comfortable for the staff but where the new headquarters sits isnt a big deal.

anonymouse
    Free Member

From The Mash.Says it all.

jond
    Free Member

>but where the new headquarters sits isnt a big deal.

No, it *is* quite important.

Apart from anything else, they currently pax their taxes here. But it's become more common over the last 5 or 10 years that UK companies have been taken over and notionally restructured so they're a production facility of their non-UK owners. Profits got back to the parent company, and the country (effectively *us*) lose a lot of tax revenue as a result, despite the fact that that the UK company, as was, may not have changed in essence.

One link here (first hit on google), but the issues's been in the press a few times over the last year (including yesterday's Guardian, I think)

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/markets/article-23796668-city-talent-isnt-as-vital-as-cadbury.do

bruneep

that stuff isn't chocolate, its confectionery, Sugar loaded sh1te.

Bimbler
    Free Member

that stuff isn't chocolate, its confectionery, Sugar loaded sh1te.

The point is it was "our" sugar loaded s-word. Workers paid taxes, the company paid taxes and dividends were paid mainly to British institutions, now it's all going to go offshore.

atlaz
    Free Member

Isn't Volvo owned by a Chinese investment vehicle now? And Saab is being considered by Bernie Ecclestone to create "internet cars" whatever the hell that means.

zaskar
    Free Member

It's not healthy anyway and Lindt is the best.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Goodbye Mr Cadbury.’ is closed to new replies.