Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Good, reliable LED torch for OAP
  • grtdkad

Ok, not a bikey question at all.

Elderly parents are out in the sticks in the middle of nowhere and my old man has mis-laid the last LED torch I gave him and is pottering around with a massive lamp that emits a mild amber glow. It can’t really be classed as illumination.
    He’s asked if “I have any more of those torches on me”.

So, help please… I’m looking for something onLine and would welcome recommendations.

Not interested in rechargeable.
    Preferably regular AA battery powered (or possibly AAA).
    Don’t want a tiny light (as it will increase likelihood of losing it).
    Would like plenty of light : CREE/XML or open to suggestions.

Ideally £15/£25 budget each (as I’m going to have to buy them a couple knowing that they’ll get lost).

** moon on a stick I know.

aracer
    Free Member

Here’s my thread on a similar topic:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/small-torch-recommendations

I bought the C&B seen one recommended there which is well under your budget (buy 4 😉 ) – on Amazon as postage is cheaper if buying one. Identical unbranded ones can be had for even less.

aracer
    Free Member

Yep, that seems to be identical to the C&B seen one 🙂

grtdkad

Thanks will take a look.

Cougar

Identical unbranded ones can be had for even less.

A quick Google would suggest that it seems to be a common thing, C&B “put their name to it” according to their own web page.

Found this one – http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UltraFire-7W-800LM-CREE-Q5-LED-Zoomable-Focus-Flashlight-Torch-Lamp-14500-AAA-UK/390726566620 – which has a handlebar mount option, handily.

Might have a couple myself at that price, I was being put off by the ones that cost a tenner but needed sixty quid’s worth of batteries. What’s the battery life like on these with a regular AA?

Cougar

Heh, the same seller has what looks like a rebranded / unbranded / knock-off version of a Led Lenser head torch too, for £7 (considerably less than I paid for a real one a couple of years back).

gobuchul
    Free Member

If you want reliable get a proper brand not a Chinese copy.

Toolstation Led Lenser L6

£25 with free delivery

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

C & B Seen putting their name on the torch id’s no bad thing, you are paying a little bit more for some qa of a generic Chinese product, which seems to me to be a necessary thing, as by default Chinese seem to build the cheapest and lowest quality they can get away with.

prettygreenparrot

Not an LED lenser P7. Worst switch on any torch I’ve had. Tough to get enough pressure on it to turn on and prone to poor contact and failure IME. A £5 copy that I got for my children has been more reliable.

scaredypants

I got my dad a couple of these camping lights
    They give off a decent amount of light but not in a narrow beam, so good for if they have a power cut and need a light in the room, too

He likes them and keeps one out in the lounge

(can lay flat, hang them up or will stick to radiators etc magnetically)

towzer

got my dad a rechargeable, plug in, windup led torch (it stays plugged in and can be wound if battery flattens) sorry but can’t remember make, also have a few flat, roundstick on led things (? Rolson etc) on his fridge door which are pretty handy

edit – http://www.windup-products.com/wind-up-torches/freeplay-sherpa-led-wind-up-torch

we have a Freeplay Jonta

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Good, reliable LED torch for OAP’ is closed to new replies.