Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What cheap 100mm-ish travel Forks?
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m sure these sort of things cause all sorts of problems within the STW brain trust.

I’m looking for some value for money forks for my Wife’s bike.

http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/gt/avalanche-3-0-disc-hydro-2010

It’s got some Suntours on it at the moment, they seem to weigh a tonne, they don’t compress much and damp less – they might work better with a bit of TLC, but frankly it’s only ever going to be so much glitter to roll them in.

Any recommendations? They don’t have to be Rampage spec, far from – I’d like 100m-120m travel without upsetting the geometry too much (they seem long for their given travel) air sprung with a rudimentary but consistent damper I can at least set the rebound on.

I know nothing about short-travel forks.

No more than £200 really, second-hand isn’t a problem.

itsonlymelee
    Free Member

I went through something similar when wanting to replace the Suntour XCR’s that came on my bike in an attempt to shed some weight.

I got some great 100mm Rockshox Reba Dual Air off the classifieds here (posted a wanted ad) for well within your budget. I lucked out in as much as they were barely used.

I also looked at the SIDs which are lighter again, but unsurprisingly more expensive and harder to find.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Thanks, they look like just the thing – now just to explain to Mrs. Jay thay they’re better than the iPad mini she wanted ha ha.

Sundayjumper

+1.

Some really good condition s/h Rebas will be well within budget.

Actually, you should have oodles of choice, 26″ & 100mm is an unfashionable and unloved niche nowadays.

woodster

AllTricks have some bargain DT Swiss that would work lovely. You’d beed a new lower headset cup though for the tapered fork.

http://www.alltricks.com/mtb/forks/forks/dt-swiss-fork-xrm-single-shot-26-100mm-axle-9mm-tapered-white-131-132633.html

Sundayjumper

Win !

Not even worth buying second hand at that price.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I got some Rockshox 30 Gold solo air from Merlin cycles last year £194 they are brilliant. Went from Suntour xcm and the difference is excellent.

P-Jay
    Free Member

They look good – I standby to have egg on my face… but I don’t think there’s a headset in the world that will allow me to fit a tapered fork to a 1 1/8th frame though is there?

woodster

Is it not a 44mm headtube which currently has integrated cups, so by fitting an external lower cup you can then use a tapered fork?

e.g http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-warhead-headset-bottom-cup/rp-prod124574

The EX 44-40 B5 model

scrank32

Have a look on bike-discount.de. They’ve got Rockshox, Fox and RST forks – all (some considerably) under £200.

Big-M
    Free Member

You’ll get some great 2nd hand forks for that money. I have a lovely pair of Fox, you’ll even have some money left for flowers & chocolates.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have some rather lovely 100mm SIDs that I’d take £100 for. Would they be of any interest?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Don’t get anything that is Rockshox TK compared to modern dampening that stuff is just shit.

jekkyl

munrobiker, I might be. what colour and QR? straight steerer?

ks562
    Free Member

When upgrading the suntours on my hardrock I got some lovely Rockshox Recon Gold (the top end ones – not the TK!) and they were £200 three years back. Sure you’d find them cheaper by now. Likewise Rebas would be nice and I imagine in budget.

Edit, just found these http://flatoutcycles.co.uk/rockshox-reba-sl-100mm-q-r-1-1-8-forks-34567?fee=5&fep=8957&gclid=Cj0KEQiAuf2lBRDW07y3z6f96awBEiQA0IngJv5dqgtB7yxR84Ydc00vxcb7-Tfyw66nce9cmHv4dckaArdJ8P8HAQ

kimbers

It looks like the bike has a zero stack headtube

does that mean its a 44mm, if so yeah you can use one of them ^^^ headsets to run a tapered fork

ollybus
    Free Member

Sorry to jump on the thread but are you saying if you have a 44mm headtube you can use an external lower cup to make it taper steerer compliant? Could be good news.

mtbfix

I’d stand corrected but a 2010 bike of that spec is surely going to be a 1 1/8″ headset top and bottom. No?

Anyway, I have some suitable (assuming the headset is as I think) Marzocchi MX Pros in the garage doing nothing. They have rebound adjustment and lockout and can be run very soft. They are black though. £60 posted.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

ollybus – Member

Sorry to jump on the thread but are you saying if you have a 44mm headtube you can use an external lower cup to make it taper steerer compliant? Could be good news.

Well you have 9mm QR hub so tapered wouldn’t help you that much either in performace or in choice. Tapered QR fork is bit a pit pointless, why have a stiff upper chasis if the lower is like a noodle.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What cheap 100mm-ish travel Forks?’ is closed to new replies.