• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Small torch recommendations
  • aracer
    Free Member

Something to go in a handbag, Uk source and decent quality as it’s for an Xmas pressie. I feel I should know the answer to this, but can’t quite remember…

(yes I am as usual relying on STW to advise me on all pressie purchases)

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Olight M18 Striker.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

These guys are local to me & give decent customer customer service;
    http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/

porkscratching
    Free Member

I have had one of these http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix-Torches/E-Series/12406-Fenix-E05.html on my keyring for 2 years – its great for the size. Just get a fenix in the size you want, would be my advice.

mark90
    Free Member

+1 Fenix.

Had the LD01 on my keyring for years.

wolly
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

I recently got 4 of these from DX china.

Amazing bits of kit – orsum light from a single AA. Luckily available for a good price from a UK importer

http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/flashlightheadlamp/cabs-flashg3.html

(if ordering three or more then its cheaper direct from China)

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks – Fenix was what I was trying to remember, but will have a look at the other suggestions too – happy with my C&BS bike light.

onandon
    Free Member

Lummi custom wee or Ns. I’ve had one for 6 years and it’s used all the time.

tim41
    Free Member

Another vote for the CandB Seen Cree torch as per Stoner’s link. Just got two – very impressive light output for 1 AA battery. Great service as well, it arrived next day.
    I’m sure the Fenix equivalents are great quality but at a big price upgrade.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i have one like stoner linked too, but generic chinese not candbseen. its a good bit of kit for a fiver or so, i use it a lot as we live in the sticks with no street lights. not as bright as i had hoped (i wanted it for a head torch) but i would definitely buy a few more to leave around the house.

redthunder
    Free Member

5w cree from Aldi recently… Best torch I’ve ever used.

120m beam and It is… For £9.99.

Doubt if there are any left now.

tenfoot

+1 for the little c and b seen light. Good customer service too. It’ll be there the next day, generally. (edit:wot tim41 said)

Cougar

I’m a fan of Led Lenser myself. Aftersales support is superb too.

CountZero

Posted these before, got three of them from DX, and they’re just the most amazing little flashlight, especially for the price: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TrustFire-XP-G-R5-230-Lumen-Flashlight-Flashlamp/dp/B0093YP4LO
    £11 from Amazon, you can’t go wrong. I bought three Fenix belt holsters for them, I have them permanently on the belts of jeans and shorts, they’re very bright and reliable, I’ve had mine for three or four years, possibly a bit longer.
    I would recommend getting several 14500 Li-ion batteries and a charger, they’re higher voltage (3.7v) than a standard AA at 1.5v.
    Superb little torch, the only issue with putting one into a handbag is finding it when it’s needed! 😉
    It does come with a clip, though so could be clipped into an inside pocket; I took mine off, they got in my way.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s a pressie for somebody who#s not going to be bothered with that, and occasional use only anyway I think, but thanks for the rec.

CountZero

The Trustfire will run with standard AA batteries, the 14500’s are brighter, is all. It’s voltage range is 0.8-4.2v, so pretty flexible.
    And cheap. 😀

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Little Fenix singel AAA would do the job. Ten quid well spent.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The Aldi ones are excellent.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My son’s just bought a few of these (the wife’s already pinched one for her handbag) seems pretty well made with a good (zoomable) light output.
    Ultrafire Q5

Edit:- Looks very similar to the C&B seen for half the price.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

The beam shot on the link above…. lol. (The one pointing at the building across the way). Sliiiiiightly over exaggerated..

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks all. Bought the C&BS one – it seems very nice. Paid £7 delivered on Amazon from C&BS shop – thought about saving a couple of pounds on one of the equivalent Ultrafire ones, but figured the difference was worth it to have proper UK backup.

Now thinking about getting myself one (maybe with a 14500) for use on a road bike as a light to see with (it’s brighter than my upgraded Joystick which I’ve used for that) – though I guess from the description that it’s not properly regulated and will get dimmer in use, so maybe better to go for one with proper regulation?

Dibbs
    Free Member

but figured the difference was worth it to have proper UK backup.

For £3.32 delivered I’ll go without the backup thanks. 🙄

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

How long does the battery last?!

Gary_M
    Free Member

What was the service like from http://www.everbuying.com Dibbs? Reviews of the site aren’t great.

aracer
    Free Member

Not in time for xmas as specified in the OP (as it turns out I got it wrong, and it’s needed earlier than that).

iainc

I bought 2 of the basic entry level Fenix ones (E01) on the back of this thread – they arrived this morning 🙂 quality items, just the ticket

CountZero

This beamshot of the TrustFire was taken in my back garden, distance about fifteen, twenty feet, using my phone:

Gives a pretty good idea of how bright it is on full, that’s with a 14500 Li-ion. I’ve used them on the bike along dark country lanes late at night, mounted with a Twofish lock-block, and I’ve stuck another on top of my crash-hat the same way, they give plenty of light for riding on-road at a reasonable speed.
    Perfect size for sticking in a pocket, with several charged batteries in a carry-case.

ElShalimo

I got a C and B seen torch linked above.
    The postage might be nearly as expensive as the torch but it’s very good. Fast delivery too

mark90
    Free Member

I just got some of the C&B Seen lights off the back of this thread. To make the most of the postage I got a couple of the 400Lm and a 900Lm one. First impressions are good. Decent light output and OK beam pattern. Don’t have the same quality feel as Fexix/Lenser/etc but then they are just a fraction of the cost. Overall I’m pleased with them. Good service too.

nuke

My son’s just bought a few of these (the wife’s already pinched one for her handbag) seems pretty well made with a good (zoomable) light output. Ultrafire Q5

Yep Dibbs has it…got several of these myself and think they are brilliant little torch; bought for about £2 each from Amazon UK but shipped from China. Few colours as well which is nice as the kids could pick which colour they got.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Small torch recommendations’ is closed to new replies.