Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Gone Tubleless – Won't Stay Up
  • awptechnical
    Free Member

Decided to go tubeless. Bike came with DT Swiss tubeless ready rims and Rocket Ron Evo Pace Star tyres (tubeless compatible). Bought some Stans valves and sealant, everything went well with no real issues; just glad I had a CO2 inflator!
    Trouble is the rear won’t stay up. It seems to be fizzing from a couple of short lengths along the bead. I’ve tried more pressure (50psi), rolling the wheels in all directions to try and spread the sealant around the whole internals but no joy. I used a bit more than 2oz of sealant, the tyres are 2.1.
    Do I add just add more sealant or is there a trick I’m missing? Help please, I want to ride tomorrow!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

The trick is to bounce the wheel and tap it against the floor instead of rolling it. I’ve found what you’ve done to be pretty much useless compared to the above.

stimpy
    Free Member

Have you tried lying it on its side / on a bucket?

Shaky shaky like the videos on Stan’s website?

Don’t go more than 50psi – it’ll blow off the rim, you won’t be able to hear for a while and you’ll be covered in spaff.

Follow the instructions and videos on Stan’s website and you can’t go wrong.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Yep wheel in hand , shake side to side , rotate a bit and shack more

Always worked for me

awptechnical
    Free Member

Okay thanks for that. To be honest I haven’t looked at the Stans website! Should have thought of that one!
    Cheers.

garage-dweller

Sounds to me like the rear has not seated properly at a couple of points. check how the bead is sitting

Give it some welly with track pump. I often push mine up to 65psi + to make sure they are popped in. Only leave them like that for a minute. I also ‘rock’ the bead by pushing the wheel onto the deck and applying pressure with my hands round the carcass to see if i get any pops or twangs. Keep turning the wheel. Flip over and repeat.

Did you lube the beads with soap to help them slide into place?

garage-dweller

Have people really blown tyres off rims at 50psi? Sure thats below the inflation limit of some of my tyres.

If that’s right do ignore my advice as it could be messy or painful.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Only had one tyre blow off and was below 50
    Proper mess bit not as loud as when an inner tube goes bang

The Rocket Ron had a duff bead and was replaced without question

stimpy
    Free Member

Seem to remember Stan’s website says not to go over 40psi when going tubeless conversion. Personally I wouldn’t know – never had to go more than 40psi to get a tyre to seat yet.

OP – try it. Bonus for pics of you deaf and covered in spaff 😆

garage-dweller

I am a mavic ust boy and always go tubeless ready or ust on the tyres too. That probably helps.

si69jc
    Free Member
    awptechnical
    Free Member

I think “lubing” the bead with soap and water would have helped. Off to find a bucket.

Northwind

I blew a tyre off an 819 with somewhere around 50psi. Thought I’d broken my hand! Funny afterwards.

Have you ridden it yet? Rare in my experience for a non-UST tyre to seal til it’s been ridden. I tend to go for a quick stop-start thrash after fitting and that’s often enough but I don’t expect them to stay up properly (ie between rides) til they’ve had a decent length of ride.

w1zard
    Free Member

If you used the CO2 to inflate the tyre with the Stans sealant in, this might be part of the problem – the CO2 sets it off and can freeze it.

Generally you should use the CO2 to seat the tyre on the bead, then deflate, add Stans, and reinflate using ‘normal’ air (i.e. a track pump).

If you already did it this way, then the other’s advice on distributing the sealant should solve the problem, I find the way advised on the NoTubes video is the most effective 🙂

ianfitz
    Free Member

Tyre pressure are either 40 psi (for a 2inch) run tubeless, or if you run stans rims WITH tubes then go with the ratings on the tyre.

awptechnical
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. Eventually started again on the rear and followed the video on the Stans site. I think lubing the bead/tyre with soapy water did the trick but still did the shakey bit as well. Rode out today and everything was spot-on.

Thanks again.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Gone Tubleless – Won't Stay Up’ is closed to new replies.