Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Golly, I need your help…
  • ro
    Free Member

it's not really my fault, the idea only came into my head yesterday.

in case you missed the post on another thread, i'm trying to take two xc-racy type bikes back to the development squad in the lao national mtb team as training bikes.

these kids are uber-poor but quite talented. both girls and boys. plus they love the sport. for that reason alone they deserve your support.

don't say 'send money instead'. the lao cycling federation (as with every organisation in laos) is so corrupt they'd steal it and use it to buy junk for themselves. the western ngo's are just as bad.

what they need / all i can carry back is:

(2) light chro-mo or alloy hardtail frames, size small or at least not over 18"
    spare hangers if frames have replaceable ones
    (2) p2 forks or similar. there are no bouncy fork service centres in laos that i know of.
    (2) aheadset or normal headset plus any servicing tools / spare bearings
    (2) alloy bars / stem. no carbon.
    (2) double or triple chainset / bb, ditto on specific servicing tools and spare bearings.
    (4) flat pedals, no spd. spare bearings.
    (2) sets of f+r 'v' brakes / levers, decent cables.
    (2) front and rear mech and cables, spare rear mech would be cool
    (2) sets gripshift plus cables
    (2) 12-32 freewheel or similar, couple of chains with chain splitter would be handy.
    (3) sets of f+r lightish rims/wheelset capable of taking 2.2" tyres f+r
    spare spokes/bearings for wheels
    spare q/r for wheels
    (millions) large volume lightweight tyres and tubes.
    (2) flexy titanium seatposts (gotta kill the shock somehow)
    (4) specialized body geometry or similar saddles, both male and female – we can swap them around
    (4) helmets. medium should be ok.

doesn't matter what the kit looks like as long at it works and there's a reasonable amount of life left in it. but i'll obviously take the best kit i can, so if someone offers their titanium hardtail race bike with a shedload of spares, don't be offended if i turn you down 🙂

so, assuming you're all overwhelmed by a sense of generosity towards your fellow mtbers in laos, how do we do this? i arrive in the uk early june, probably go back end june therefore we have a month to sort things out.

go ahead, tell me how it should be done…

lazlo53
    Free Member

sorry, only got a set of xtr discs, wheels and levers going spare

DrP

I've got a bamboo frame, a rock as a saddle, and some thick soled shoes as brakes – 'lo tech' enough I hope…..

DrP

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i was taking bikes and bits to Zimbabwe a few years back and i went to all the LBS round my way and explained what i was doing, they all helpfully collected the stuff destined for the bin (shops have to pay for dumped items) and i was able to sort through it and take the useful stuff out with me. there was often 'new' stuff where people upgraded parts on brand new bikes and always loads of tyres/inner-tubes.

ro
    Free Member

DrP, i don't care about your attitude towards me, i do care about your attitude towards the aims of this post.

i would tell you to go fu*k yourself, but that would probably breach forum regs, so i haven't and i won't.

Wally

All read well until the

(2) flexy titanium seatposts (gotta kill the shock somehow) 😯

ken_shields
    Free Member

Interesting how you feel it's ok to be generally rude and be little peoples opinions in other threads and then ask for any bits people have lying about in another.

I may come across as cynical but this thread gives the impression to me of you topping up your spares bin for your Kona

I'm coming back to the UK in June and don't think I'll be able to resist the temptation to buy bike bits. Currently I'm running an old aluminium cog 12-23 freewheel with 28 / 42 chainset. I need a new freewheel / chain / front rings but they've got to be light and easy to maintain.

In some respects I have to admire your optimism.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

go ahead, tell me how it should be done…

It would have helped if you hadn't chosen to promote an uninformed, adverserial and pointlessly argumentative forum persona. Sadly, your appeal for help will probably be responded to with a shrug of the shoulders and the fleeting question, "Why should I help that ignorant gobshite?" If the Lao mtb team want help they need to find themselves a better cheerleader.

ro
    Free Member

hey guys, if that's your attitude i'll save myself the hassle. i'll revert to my normal posts.

how do i delete this thead? mods, would you chop it please?

rOcKeTdOg

lol @ ro, you make your bed chap, and then you lie in it

ro
    Free Member

i'm snuggled down comfortably, thank you 🙂

zangolin
    Free Member

HeathenWoods – Member
    …………."Why should I help that ignorant gobshite?" If the Lao mtb team want help they need to find themselves a better cheerleader.

+1 also add hypocritical + prig to the description – don't mtb races + training sessions involve large groups of riders?

I have a few bits of old kit I would happily donate but I do question your credibility Ro?

BigJohn

This has just given me an idea for a feature in the next ST mag.

Match the personality disorder to the forum poster.

ro
    Free Member

my fingers are in my ears. i can't hear you.

🙂

Del

flippin heck!
    you post thread asking for charity and your second post is:

DrP, i don't care about your attitude towards me, i do care about your attitude towards the aims of this post.

i would tell you to go fu*k yourself, but that would probably breach forum regs, so i haven't and i won't.

good luck with that…

TooTall
    Free Member

His previous posts always seemed to be a bit Johnny TwoSheds from a distant country with only a tenuous link to cycling. This one is just strange, but his attitude shines through as highlighted by Ken, Heathen and Zangolin.

mamadirt
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

Are you actually serious? This is a joke surely?

Drac

Ken and heathen sum it up well.

DezB
    Free Member

Excellent! You've gotta work hard to be disliked by mamadirt… 🙂

zangolin
    Free Member

Mamadirt – this version has the original video –

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-B0TqTAJPI

Bit of a coincidence as I'm also in Holywood and I am 6 foot 5 and I do also drive a Maserati and I am a black belt in Karate and I also don't like large groups of MTB riders enjoying themselves. I do also love a good spa in downtown Ho Chi Minh City.

ro
    Free Member

but… but… he sent me a song. he LOVES me!!!!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Living and working in SE Asia and telling everyone about it is sooooooooooooo 90's.

The only spares I have are expensive modern stuff, so don't think any of it will work on your bike.

Sorry dude.

DezB
    Free Member

He?? Pay attention mate.

DrP

Why is it that you see it fit to 'jest and joke around' and think it's alright to hold strong opinions and disregard those of others, but when a few of us pull you leg or come out with a reply that 'takes the mick' on your (rather strong) views, we get insults and paddys??!!

Geesh!

DrP

ro
    Free Member

because, DrP, my offer to take stuff out to laos was going to cause me no end of hassle and i thought even a brain dead moron would be able to see that.

rule number one on entering a forum is never get annoyed by anyone. but your attitude annoyed me. for sure.

if i was prepared to fund 30kg to viet nam on my return, THEN fund the vietnam airlines flight from sai gon to vientiane to deliver it, the least you f*****s could do was respond generously. i had nothing to gain. you don't hurt me you hurt kids who have little but enthusiasm. but, hey, they're a long way away. they'll never know. don't feel bad.

you must learn to disassociate between words and (proposed) actions, or didn't they teach you that at your med school?

mods, please delete this thread. i'm embarrassed for the lot of you.

njee20
    Free Member

Wow, you're a real knob!

funkynick

you must learn to disassociate between words and (proposed) actions

Aaaah… so you don't mean what you say? Or is this as my Dad used to say… 'Do as I say, and not as I do!'

;o)

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I don't know the history here, but I have to admit I did find DrPs quip a little on the thorny side and bordering on the rascist.

Next up jokes about starving Africans?

Clearly there does seem to be some micturation on the fried sliced poatatos here regarding previous appeals on the part of the op. All a bit sad since it does seem like there are some keen kids missing out here.

yossarian
    Free Member

dear ro

trouble is that you have managed to make yourself unpopular on here by sniping at so many people that no-one feels inclined to help you out.

sorry but its your fault

love yossarian

x

Gary_M
    Free Member

the least you f*****s could do was respond generously. i had nothing to gain. you don't hurt me you hurt kids who have little but enthusiasm.

Won't someone please think of the children.

ro you appear to be a total fanny.

Del

the least you f*****s could do was respond generously

well, you've won me over…

ro
    Free Member

try and think beyond me, del. i know it's hard, but try.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

LOL, brilliant.

Gobshite surprised that throwing insults around like candy has a negative impact on their credability.

ro
    Free Member

and, dear yossarian, for the umpteenth time, this wasn't about ME, but about what YOU could do for others.

you still don't get it, do you?

tron
    Free Member

try and think beyond me, del. i know it's hard, but try.

I'll spell this one out for you – people seem to dislike you to such an extent that they don't think you are trustworthy.

Gary_M
    Free Member

ro have you ever thought of working as a fund raiser, I think you would be fantastic at the job.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

ro is Shirley the biggest tool the forum has seen?

yossarian
    Free Member

i get it just fine ro, as does everyone else. I have a load of used parts sat in my loft and they won't be going with you because i don't trust you. I don't trust you becasue I have formed my opinion of you by your postings on here and your postings on here make you appear to be an idiot. I have no faith in you in the same way that I have faith in re-cycle and other such charities.

I would advise anyone who is thinking of donating parts to check this link out http://www.re-cycle.org/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Golly, I need your help…’ is closed to new replies.