Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Going under the knife (feeling sorry for myself content)
  • transapp
    Free Member

So, 4 weeks after stupidly falling off while riding along a log at Cannock Chase (the bit after the Stegasaurus part, the ‘black’ section) and dislocating my shoulder plus breaking a bone in the same shoulder, I’m having an op on Monday to put it back together. I’ve ridden twice down a canal towpath since the crash, and it’ll be 4-6 weeks before I can even do that now. Xmas until I can return to ‘contact’ sports which mountain biking apparantly is. It’s rubbish, and all because I was showing a mate how ‘easy’ it was as he held the camera. Arses.

Harry_the_Spider

Had a Weaver-Dunn back in the late 90s. You’ll be reet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weaver-Dunn_procedure

Oh, MTFU. 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

good luck mate. sounds a bit rubbish 🙁

Hohum
    Free Member

Hope your operation goes okay.

Will your riding style change as a result of this?

Klunk
    Free Member

so where’s the youtube clip of the easiness. come on share it up.

glenh
    Free Member

Could be worse.
    I had ages out after busting my collar bone a couple of years ago, and now I’ll have to go through it all again and have an op to put it right as it hasn’t healed up properly.
    So think positive, at least you are getting it sorted straight away.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Good luck. You ‘ll be fine. would “break a leg” be inappropriate?

transapp
    Free Member

Cheers for the words guys.

Here’s the vid, pathetic, slow crash. I han’t even dropped my seat as it was so easy!

http://contour.com/stories/cannock-log-fall

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

you’ll be fine at least you are off the bike coming into the crappiest weather! Mr MC had silly accident in CyB bank holiday in May and has missed the whole of the summer riding but now he’s as enthusiastic as ever. Get on the turbo to keep som fitness up! Good luck though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Don’t worry, the procedure is as easy as falling off a log. You’ll be fine. Healing vibes all the same. Best of luck.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Had one last year. Piece of cake. You will be fine

Esme
    Free Member

And did you put your mate off MTB? Or is he borrowing your bike until you need it again? 🙄

nickhart
    Free Member

you’ll be fine. to be honest i’d rather have gone through 4-6 weeks off the bike than the 2 years i’ve just had but hey we don’t get a choice when the devil sh*ts in your kettle you do what needs to be done.
    i’m just grateful to be alive still so mtfu and think chicks dig scars.

hugor
    Free Member

Good luck with the op mate. I’ve been there too. Pretty unlucky to do serious damage with that fall – looked pretty harmless. I guess you’ve used up all your bad luck now.

anagallis_arvensis

to be honest i’d rather have gone through 4-6 weeks off the bike than the 2 years i’ve just had

2 years pah, I’ve had four off the bike and I’m still broken.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Good luck with it….having had a op myself recently, I know what a drag it is!

Having looked at your fall, I can’t help saying that if you had fallen even half correctly, you would have been fine. I know it sounds simple, but once you learn how to ‘fall’, it becomes instinctive. As you feel yourself going over the top, you immediately look to roll one way or the other to get out of it.

Its not something, I’d recommend practising on a bike, maybe you’ve got an old mattress, the kids trampoline etc…..but I’ve once landed on my feet (after rolling) when going over the bars at 20mph.

Obviously wait until you’ve healed first tho! 😀

transapp
    Free Member

Thanks for the words and yes, I know there are people laid up for far longer than me and they have my sympathies. In many years if doing a huge amount of stupid things this is the first time I’ve really hurt myself doing it other than cuts and bruises. I didn’t realise what a miserable fecker i am without an escape!
    Ref learning how to fall, yes, 20 years of mountain biking, martial arts, parachuting, inline skating and grass boarding Amongst others have taught me how to look after myself as it goes wrong. One small ride with a stinking hangover and it all goes to ratshit though!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Don’t beat yourself up Transapp! Mr MC keeps wishing he’d been waering elbow pads when he crashed but who knows what would’ve happened then. He probably wouldn’t have crashed. You’ll be raring to go when you’re back.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Good luck OP, (everyone has injuries even pro’s)

You’ll be riding in a few weeks without looking back.

footflaps

Looks like a really unlucky fall, keep your weight back next time!

hugor
    Free Member

One small ride with a stinking hangover and it all goes to ratshit though!

Do you think that had anything to do with it?
    My last serious injury where I also busted my shoulder was with a moderate hangover.
    I often wondered if it was related.

TiRed

Hope it goes well. From someone who’s collarbone is currently in two and non-union and has just got back on a (road) bike after two months.

transapp
    Free Member

Well it’s done, sitting in a nice hospital (Bath Circle, it’s like a hotel in here) and it feels ok. Yes it hurts but I have a surprising amount of movement. Guess it’ll be sore in the morning.
    Some nice lookin hills out can be seen from my room though, midley irritating!
    Thanks again for wise words, odd how much it helps!

transapp
    Free Member

Well, I’m back in the saddle. Physio says no riding for another 4 weeks so have just done a flat, road and tow path 15m. Shoulder hurts but oddly not as much as my lungs! What the hell happened to my body! 2 months of sofa sitting and I’ve turned, well there’s only one word for it – flacid!
    Ah well, I’m sure that a few weeks of road hilly routes will cure that (or give me a heart attack and put the long suffering Mrs Transapp out her misery!)
    Am I over biked riding the Anthem along a tow path 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Going under the knife (feeling sorry for myself content)’ is closed to new replies.