Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)
  • God save the queen
  • Mr_C
    Free Member

My 10 year-old daughter’s homework for the weekend is to learn the words to God save the queen. They haven’t actually provided a set of words to learn – I’m so very tempted to assume they meant this:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqrAPOZxgzU&ob=av2n[/video]

😈

DezB
    Free Member

Pistols would certainly be more educational.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

There’s another version?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    anagallis_arvensis

I’m going to be a bloody nightmare if my son gets homework like that when he’s older!

amplebrew

Funnily enough, I was listening to ‘Never Mind The B******S’ whilst messing with the bike this morning before going out.

Love ‘Pretty Vacant’ 8)

project
    Free Member

Pity the kids are haveing all this royalty lark rammed down their throats(along with us freee thinkers) as part of so called education/homework, next the teacher will be earning brownie points for getting the whole class to sing it on the strets.

tthew

I’d think that’s a fair assumption OP, but you’d have thought they’d have preferred a 10 year old to learn the National Anthem!?

crankboy
    Free Member

O Lord, our God, arise,
    Scatter her enemies,
    And make them fall.
    Confound their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On thee our hopes we fix:
    God save the Queen.

Lovely little ditty for the modern world.

jon1973
    Free Member

I like the way he sticks his fingers up at the establishment by being the front man for Country Life Butter.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

jon – thats exactly what he is doing – the musical establishment / those who thing of him as some symbol.

Who killed Bambi? the whole thing was a cynical rip-off

Junkyard
    Free Member

It will be fun if mine have to do this, a trully terrible terrible anthem on every level
    Awful slow tune and not at all uplifting whatever your view of the lyrics are.
    Deity i don’t believe in save a position I dont believe in…what’s not to like?
    and of course

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
    May by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush,
    God save the King.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

But that’s the only relevant bit Junky 😉

zimbo
    Free Member

Is there anyone else who might get a tiny rush of patriotism if our National Anthem was actually about our collective country, and not about the in-breds?

Mind you, free day off next Tuesday. God bless her majesty..

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Not for me, only get the monday. Oh well, the roads will be quiet.

zimbo
    Free Member

Oh well, the roads will be quiet.

Good point. I think I’d rather work then too, and have a different day off.

Viva la Republique!

jon1973
    Free Member

jon – thats exactly what he is doing

No, he’s doing it because they paid him loads of money. It’s the marketing men using his image to sell their stuff.

zimbo
    Free Member

jon – thats exactly what he is doing

No, he’s doing it because they paid him loads of money. It’s the marketing men using his image to sell their stuff.

Is it any surprise either way? Good as they were, the Sex Pistols were a manufactured band, and were always about self-promotion not politics. One or two anti-establishment songs don’t make you Billy Bragg.

donsimon
    Free Member

Not my god.
    Not my queen.
    Not really important, is it?

zimbo
    Free Member

Not my queen.

‘Fraid she is bud, if you live in the UK. Like it or not. Same as that p***k Cameron is my Prime Minister. Which I don’t like.

Coyote
    Free Member

No, he’s doing it because they paid him loads of money

and presumably you wouldn’t…

zimbo
    Free Member

and presumably you wouldn’t…

There are plenty of principled artists who wouldn’t. Although, as someone said, Lydon may just have done it to fly in the face of what’s expected of him.

roper
    Free Member

He said in an interview a few years ago, he did the butter advert so he could fund PIl getting back together under their own terms.
    Either way having to earn a living hardly makes him a sell out.

zimbo
    Free Member

Either way having to earn a living hardly makes him a sell out.

Yeah, but some ways of earning a living reduce/wipe out your credibility as an artist…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

One or two anti-establishment songs don’t make you Billy Bragg.

Something to be grateful for, at least. 🙄

racefaceec90

am not religious
    i’ll just say that i’m not a fan of the monarchy and leave it at that 😉
    love the sex pistols 😀

zokes
    Free Member

Not my queen.

You’ll be saying you’re not British next…

Cougar

I never really understood the ‘god save the Queen’ bit.

Theological sentiments aside, she doesn’t really need saving does she? She’s one pretty bloody saved Queen already, far as I can tell.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Mind you, free day off next Tuesday.

Not for me, force to take out of my days holiday allowance, along with the 4 – 5 days I am force to take over christmass means 4 days off between now and december.

zimbo
    Free Member

Not for me, force to take out of my days holiday allowance

Isn’t that illegal?

zimbo
    Free Member

One or two anti-establishment songs don’t make you Billy Bragg.

Something to be grateful for, at least

To each his own, but I’d make Bragg Prime Minister. Not many people hold such considered, rational views as that man.

Junkyard
    Free Member

nah not illegal but uncommon
    PS its not an extra day remember its a leap year and they got a day for free out of those of us who are salaried.

johnners
    Free Member

To each his own, but I’d make Bragg Prime Minister. Not many people hold such considered, rational views as that man.

Never mind his considered, rational views, I’d make him PM for “The Saturday Boy” alone.

donsimon
    Free Member

You’ll be saying you’re not British next…

How dare you question my opinion or challenge the authority I have over you!
    I think it’s a little off. 👿

zimbo
    Free Member

Never mind his considered, rational views, I’d make him PM for “The Saturday Boy” alone.

And I’d make you Deputy PM for that!
    Anyone who comes close to tears every time they hear “St. Swithin’s Day” gets to be Chancellor of the Exchequer…

TheBrick
    Free Member

Isn’t that illegal?

No but its they way the conservative party would like it to be I fear. Zero flexibility and employers and minimal happiness employees, makes for growth.

BermBandit
    Free Member

There are plenty of principled artists who wouldn’t

I love the principled artist crap.

Reminds me of a very old story about an old gent in a first class train carriage offering a pretty young thing a seat in his carriage. After a while the conversation gets round to what each would do for a million pounds, slightly embarrassed she admits she would sleep with someone for that kind of money. With that the gent whips out JT, and slaps £10 on the table. Shes screams and shouts what do you think I am…..A Tart! to which he replies, madam we have already established that, now we are just haggling over the price. Says it all really, and frankly the truth of it is there is nothing quite so pretentious “as an artist being principled to his art”. So good luck to JR milk it son, milk it.

If you are one, may I suggest you shut the **** up and keep it to yourself. Failing that if you want others to look at/engage with your art accept comment good or bad. That’s what you have invited.

……and yes I have previous on the subject, and yes it boils my piss royally.

csb

Mind you, free day off next Tuesday.

Not for me, force to take out of my days holiday allowance, along with the 4 – 5 days I am force to take over christmass means 4 days off between now and december.

You must be pleased for the Civil Servants who have also been given Wednesday off as a Privilege Day though?

Junkyard
    Free Member

BB seriously what is the point of your post?
    All artists are prostitutes the only question is how much they want?

Have you considered the possibility that some people do have principles and they cannot be bought ?

TheBrick
    Free Member

You must be pleased for the Civil Servants who have also been given Wednesday off as a Privilege Day though?

Not bothered by it personally, I’d rather have my conditions upped than everyone else’s lowered to match mine.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘God save the queen’ is closed to new replies.