Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • God help me – Recommend me some 29er kit – wheels, sus fork
  • clubber
    Free Member

Having snapped my full sus frame, I'm thinking of biting the bullet and buying a 29er hardtail to replace it – the thinking being that I'm less likely to break the frame (I've broken a few in my time…) and hopefully the bigger wheels will go some way towards making up for the lack of rear suspension. OK, I've not yet found a 29er that I really enjoyed riding but maybe if I have my own, I can fine tune it to ride how I like and I guess, worst case, there are enough 29er evangelists on here to sell the stuff on pretty easily 🙂

I'm pretty set on one of the Inbred slot dropout frames (I've always liked my 26" inbreds) but what suspension fork and wheels should I go for?

I'm thinking that I'd like a Reba for the fork but it needs to be funded by my 26" Revelation fork that I'll sell so I imagine it'd have to be second hand. Toras are out there but seem a bit heavy/basic really.

As for the wheels, I guess I could just get some rims and spokes and rebuild my existing wheels (rim recommendations?) or are there any good deals on wheels out there for now? On-One are doing Shimano MT15 wheels for a good price (£100) but they are center lock and I'd prefer 6 bolt.

Oh, one last thing – gearing – I'm currently running a 2×9 and I'd like to keep that on the 29er – how much do people gear down? I currently have 24/36 and 11-34 so would gearing down to 22/32 with the same cassette be about right in peoples' experience?

Basically I'm after some pointers so all suggestions welcome.

clubber
    Free Member

What's stw coming to these days?! Ask a question about 29ers and get no responses. Can't usually
    move for all the 29er stuff! 😉

keavo
    Free Member

get some notubes rims, arch and flows have been excellent for me. i just sold a 318 tora solo air on ebay (£103) they were as good as rebas in every way except weight, i'd have them again if i was was on a tight budget. i've ran 2×9, 22-34 11-34 worked ok for me, but i don't really see much point now. i can see a point in 1×9 and singlespeed (quick to swap set up too) but 32 ring is a bit too big for my liking. i have another 29er thats get the full 3×9 set up.

collie
    Free Member

Aren't those MT15 wheels teeny?

clubber
    Free Member

Oh, yes, they might be 26"

how about these then?

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/info_WPOOMODELFNV.html

MrTall
    Free Member

I've just finished building up an Inbred but i've used Carbon forks on it. My hardtail and Full Suss both have Reba's (80mm SL and 120mm Maxle) but i imported them both from the states as they were far cheaper.

I have Sun Ringle Chargers on my full suss which i've been very happy with (fronts are on sale at CRC) and i have Bonty Race Lights on the HT bought nearly new off here for £140. My singlespeed Inbred has the original rear wheel of my spesh 29er and i just bought a Halo Freedom 29er for the front which is a tad heavy but very strong so may be a good wheel for you (£83 from cyclestore i think).

clubber
    Free Member

Well strangely, despite breaking a lot of frames I rarely break even reasonably light wheels. I'll put it down to my very well honed wheelbuilding skills 🙂

jfeb
    Free Member

The On-One wheels are fine although I had to put new bearings in the rear hub of mine after less than a year of very light use. Not a big deal though. For the price I don't think you can do better.

clubber
    Free Member

Anyone seen any good deals on suspension forks? There doesn't seem to be a lot out there other than full price Rebas and Toras in 29er version.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I bought my Fox 29ers (80-100mm) and my Bonty X Lite wheels off eBay.
    Works for me!

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

if your really really quick theres some manitou minute 29er bolt through for a very bargain price of £170 buy it now,theres also a 19 inch slot drop out on there currently £56,and theres a pair of wheels with pro 11 with sun 29er rims £99 starting bid and a pair of bonty tyres for £25 one could build a very nice 29er within a week if you bid right? all items are currently on evil bay….

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks for that but IMO Manitous aren't bargains unless they're free…

Need a 21" inbred too

Will check out those wheels though.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

how about the fox f29rl at £300 brand new same place.dont think there going to make much more as £300 starting bid is quite high but well wrth it ive got the g2 ones of a gary f and there very nice indeed

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

clubber
    Free Member

LOL, yeah, that's kind of how I feel actually but I'm willing to give it a go…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

my 29" and 26" manitou minutes work fabulously thankyouverymuch 8)

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

my 29" and 26" manitou minutes work fabulously thankyouverymuch 8)

wheels wise, stans are very nice, and my halos are pretty good too. if you prefer a lighter wheel then iirc the excites come in a 29" flavour

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Even evangelical 29-er convert of the millenium Barnet has gone back to 26" …

(I actually think much the same as you, if you had your own and tweaked it a bit, you'd get on grand with a 29er)

clubber
    Free Member

Wow, didn't know that – thought he almost had '29 forever' tattooed 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

I can recommend the Halo rims – over 3 years on my Scandal and never needed tweaking – my LBS built them up onto my hubs for me. Forks are regularly coming up on here and FleaBay – Reba are great – but get the later ones with the improved trail. I've never bothered with gearing down – I just have to pedal that little bit harder and you don't notice it after a bit. My Scandal is a 21" and would probably fit you fine – so the Inbred would be almost as good.

Agency_Scum is a splitter and isn't man enough for real wheels. Despite him 'quite liking' my Sultan.

clubber
    Free Member

How can I tell which forks have the increased trail?

Shandy
    Free Member

This thread is going to cost me money. 😆

TooTall
    Free Member

More recent ones – ask on mtbr for proper 29er fork geekness – those boys know that sort of thing.

bigsi
    Free Member

MrTall – Care to share where in the US you got the Rebas for as i might be in the market for some in the next few months 😀

tazzymtb
    tazzymtb

FSA 29er wheels are good too with deals on ebayshops for less than £200 for a set wheels are quoted at 1800g but come in more around the 1900g with qr's

cheers_drive

tazzymtb – Member
    FSA 29er wheels are good too with deals on ebayshops for less than £200 for a set wheels are quoted at 1800g but come in more around the 1900g with qr's

I was looking at those but there was some pretty scathing reviews on MTBR.

Taz – Any idea when you're coming by Bristol to drop off those uppers? I did email but after the last mail went missing in the ether I though I'd check.

Cheers

tazzymtb

cheer-drive I was in somerset today on a last minute meeting, but should be down your way again next week so I'll drop you an email and we get sorted.

Taz

tazzymtb

I was looking at those but there was some pretty scathing reviews on MTBR.

http://twentynineinches.com/2009/06/17/fsa-xc-290-wheels-final-review/

they liked them, mtbr can be even more of a "well of ****" than this place at times!

MrTall
    Free Member

Bigsi,

I used a chap called Larry at Mountain High Cyclery who i would definitely recommend. Good prices and good service.

Dollar is working against you at the moment though, i got mine at around $1.65 to £1.

Failing that, there are few people selling them on Ebay in the states who will send internationally and put down lower values to help with postage and duty.

bigsi
    Free Member

Cheers Mr Tall 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘God help me – Recommend me some 29er kit – wheels, sus fork’ is closed to new replies.