Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Gisburn Forest? After all this Rain?
  • dasnut
    Free Member

am I mad?
    will it be worth a trip this evening or best avoided in the dampness?

neil853
    Free Member

I'm having exactly the same thoughts. I'm going to leave the decision till around 5, it drains pretty well up there so if it manages to stop for a few hours it'll be alright. Just have to be careful on the big bermed section! 😀

beefy

I rode on Saturday for the first time and most of it drains really well, there were one or two bits that were wet, mainly the rollercoaster bermy bit, it was ok, but slippy in the compressions.

There was one bit that was really muddy, about 3/4 way round, muddy bermy bit in between woods.

Having ridden Glentress in a massive storm before and seeing as the main trail is a similar construction, I reckon you will be fine.

stumpyjon

As above, only 2 bits are badly affected by rain at the moment. Lot of puddles though and the stream crossings may be a bit interresting.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Will I need (swimming) goggles to keep the mud out of my eyes?

I

rockitman

Is it good then Gisburn? Not been yet. Is it worthy of a weekend visit or like Lee Quarry is it a quick blast?

ozzo
    Free Member

quick blast – less than 2 hours TBH but a bit of a hoot

rockitman

Cool, anyone fancy it next Wednesday?

rockitman

Ready to ride about 7

robgarrioch

Anyone get a canoe down the canyon this evening?
    Drove down to Ramsbottom tonight from Edinburgh; Jesus there was some weather through the south Lakes + north Lancs, some of the heaviest rain I've driven through in years.
    Guessing it'll be muddy tomorrow, supposed to be clearing later in the day though. Be up around 11am if anyone's considering it.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

We did Gisburn last night despite the rain and wind. It took about 2 hours 15 minutes to get around – including one puncture stop and a few good slams on my part… The surfaced trail sections drain really well and are still fast even in the wet.

There was a fair bit of mud in the unsurfaced section near the stream just after the canyon berms and the mud in the rollers was pretty disconcerting.

Stream crossings were fun as expected.

robgarrioch

Got to say, the torrential rain didn't seem to affect the place too much, nice 1/4 wheel deep streams, a bit slippy in the sheltered areas but fine in general. Couple of new bits since I last went round. Good time, gettin good lines through the canyon riding them walls. Just wish I'd brought the roof bars instead of mucky-bike-into-clean-car nightmare! Can't believe there's no £charge for the place…

Gary_C

robgarrioch,
    If you had parked at the Dog & Partridge in Tossisde & started from there,they have bikewash facilities behind the pub.

robgarrioch

OH I had my hozelock & gave it a going over first, + tarp lining the boot – just my OCD talking! Lee Quarry tomorrow anyhow so deep clean ahoy after that, bike + car!

Gary_C

just my OCD talking!

Don't you mean CDO (All the letters in alphabetical order….) 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn Forest? After all this Rain?’ is closed to new replies.