• This topic has 25 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by IA.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Girly left hands
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

My Wife has tried using Shimano rapid fire left hand shifters before complaining that she didn’t have the hand strength to move the lever. She’s currently using Sh** Shift (her words) front mech and Rapid fire for the rear, Any girls find the same problem? What else should she try?

trail_rat
    Free Member

new cables – seriously

no shifter should need that much pressure to move unless its neglected.

if its a deore or below front mech check it hasnt siezed – these mechs sieze when you stop looking at them for 5 mins …

mamadirt
    Free Member

I have the same problem, although only use a right-hand shifter (cables are lubed regularly with in-situ cable oilers) – gets so bad in the winter time that my thumb splits. Reckon I must have seriously weak thumbs 😕 , seriously considering going back to Gripshift this winter.

Tracey

Think there must be a problem with the shifter or the cable, our girls have been using them from age 4 with no problems [they couldnt twist the twist grips], but have always been looked after

Tracey

domino

I have rapid fire and don’t seem to have any problems (left or right), I have small girlie hands also. Second what trail rat said as a first try at sorting the problem.

Ooops, Tracy beat me to it!

duckers
    Free Member

Get some XTR cables or keep your current ones well lubed with a decent wet lube, and think about upgrading to XT/XTR rapidfire shifters.

gusamc
    Free Member

I’ve got my gf to ratchet it, mind in her case it’s not so much strength it’s more hand size/travel (she’s 4ft 10), so by ratcheting it she can change in little steps, as she just can’t reach with one push

Have you made sure it’s properly lubed, etc.

(*re gripshift – I’ve got it on a 2000ish bike, worked fine after being left sitting for 4 years. What’s the problem with it ?)

mamadirt
    Free Member

Must be arthritis setting in for me then Tracey 😕 . Bike is stripped down at the mo and I’m singlespeeding but I’ve been cleaning stuff up today and changed the mounting position on the shifter to see if that helps – also found a narrower cable in the depths of the toolbox so I’ll give that a go on the new build.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

She’s using an XT front mech and Xt cables. Not unfortunatly a Shimano Chainset, an old Suntour one. Could this be the problem?

thewombles
    Free Member

Divorce her immediately ,
    keep the bike ,
    then simply test the hand strength of the new future Mrs Mikey-simmo by performing a arm wrestling match with any future date

Simple really
    😀

BluePalomino
    Free Member

theres nothing as frustrating as a girl with a weak left hand (chortle) 😯

GeForceJunky

Mamadirt – If you found a narrower cable then it sounds like you were using a brake cable rather than a gear cable, which would make it extremely stiff!

rOcKeTdOg
    scaredypants

gripshift is the best shifter for LH

mamadirt
    Free Member

GeForce Junky – Member
    Mamadirt – If you found a narrower cable then it sounds like you were using a brake cable rather than a gear cable, which would make it extremely stiff!

No, definitely narrower than a brake cable and anyway a brake cable barrel nipple wouldn't fit a shifter. The replacement one is narrower still and is teflon coated so we'll see.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gear cables come in 1.1 and 1.2mm.

mamadirt
    Free Member

That probably explains it then, although I wouldn't imagine 0.1mm making that much difference 😉

beacon2
    Free Member

I use thin teflon coated gear cables (teflon as used in non stick frying pans) where they slide like a dream with no lube requied.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Mama try a Sram shifter it will cope better in the mud.

FWIW my hands are actually smaller than my wifes (but a lot more manly) and I have no problem shifting.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I can't change gear with my left hand at all after breaking my thumb last year as I can't lock the joint.

So I just take my hand off the bars and use my palm to push the lever.

It's no big deal now I'm used to it.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I_Ache – Member

Mama try a Sram shifter it will cope better in the mud.

Any excuse for more pimpery . . . mmmmmm, orange

Aidy
    Free Member

Mount the shifter a bit further inbound? (so she pushes nearer the end – more leverage).

glenh
    Free Member

WTFU?

funkynick

Aaaaah Mike, and I thought you were going to be talking about your hands!!

Liz's bike had crap levers and cables on for a while which were very hard to move, but with LX levers and new cables they are silky smooth again, so XT stuff should be fine. How long have the cables been on for? And have they been lubed at all during that time? Might be worth looking at fully enclosed cables…

The other option is a gripshift, but then she's obviously not getting on with that either!

How free is the front mech? Does it move smoothly?

Oh, and fancy getting out riding soon?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Yup Nick I'm up for that. Do you have any sundays coming up your free on? BBQ n Stuff too?

IA

Read the OP skimmed the rest.

My GF had the problem on her old bike, and we swapped the deore rapid fire for a grip shifter. But the XT kit with decent cables on her new bike is fine.

Assuming you have nice kit on your bike, give her a shot with those shifters see if it helps.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Girly left hands’ is closed to new replies.