• This topic has 25 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Gifts for Ushers and Best Man
  • swoosh
    Free Member

Getting married in a few weeks and wanting to get my Ushers and Best Man a little gift to say thank you, but what should i get them? Is there a tradition?

I’m thinking maybe a personallised glass etched with name, our names and date of wedding for all plus a set of ‘Best Man’ cuff-links for the best man. does that sound ok or should it be a bit more than that?

Thanks for any tips

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

That sounds more than enough to me. I acted as usher for a friend of mine. He gave me a nice pewter quaich and a minature of whiskey and I was delighted by that

Shandy
    Free Member

I got my lads all pewter tankards with their initials engraved on them, harder to break than a glass and should last for years.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He’ll only be Best Man for a day, so don’t get best man cufflinks! Get some nice cufflinks instead, no gimmicky writing on them.

DickBarton

I was an usher for a mate at the weekend – wasn’t expecting anything as a thanks, but was very pleased to be given a voucher for a family photograph – which was rather suitable as I was talking to my wife about a family picture of the 3 of us now the daughter is 1…the other ushers were given hipflasks, but as I don’t drink he reckoned the picture voucher was more apt – which I had to agree with…well pleased with it.

I guess, you either go for a traditional lads gift i.e. hipflask that covers everything – whether they use it or not (the other ushers will use them so it was apt) or you get a little creative and get something that will be appreciated and used (in my case a family picture voucher)…might be a bit harder to think of a gift but is probably going to be appreciated more.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I tend to think something like hipflask/pen/good lighter (dependant on the person’s lifestyle) is always a good thing.

The photo voucher would be a nice idea for the right person ie, my best man was my younger brother and a photo voucher for a single bloke with no intention of ever meeting someone and settling down would be frankly worthless. But he liked the fancy lighter we bought him.

Milkie
    Free Member

I was an usher at the weekend. It is tradition to give cufflinks to the ushers. When I say tradition, it must be the last 3 times I’ve been an usher I have been given cufflinks.

The cufflinks were a little different this time, rather than having “Usher” they had my nickname/dj name engraved, which was a nice touch.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He gave me a nice pewter quaich and a minature of whiskey and I was delighted by that

Is that a hipflask TJ? If so, then snap, I got the same thing, and it was a lovely present (mine was silver though…ha ha…his missus was a bit more pretentious).

swoosh
    Free Member

I got my lads all pewter tankards with their initials engraved on them, harder to break than a glass and should last for years.

Where did you get yours from Shandy?

I do agree with you CaptainFlashheart that he will only be best man for the day but i think he will really like it. he is really excited about being bast man. Might just get him cufflinks with his initials on then.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Deadlydarcy – a quaich is a scottish whiskey drinking bowl for sharing

hillsplease

Hipflasks good. Cufflinks good.

Bespoke shirts from Frank Rawstrom of Manchestershire were well received and provided an opportunity to all get together before the big day, without being bladdered/ surfing/ driving a hovercraft/ frenzied drunken Dad dancing – all of which are more exciting than a shirt fitting.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I got my Best Man and Ushers a Leatherman each and had their Initials and role engraved on them. Went down a treat.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Drunk bridesmaids always go down a treat.

singletrackmind

2nd the Leatherman . I got a PST2 and its really usefull bit of kit.
    Depending on your budget and the lifestyle of the best man and Ushers then a G shock or similar ?

NotoriousP.I.D
    Free Member

My mate is buying his best man and the brides father a tailored suit.
    Possibly over the top I grant you. Don’t know what he is doing for his ushers.

RichPenny
    Free Member

scottish whiskey

EPIC FAIL

As you were 😉

Shandy
    Free Member

Swoosh its http://www.pewter.co.uk, they were quick and good quality too.

Leatherman idea is a good’un!

snapper036
    Free Member

If you want some engraved glass, then let me know as my old man has his own glass company and does all that type of stuff.

guido

I got an expensive watch when best man at my mates wedding and some cufflinks from my best mate from university when i was BM for him.
    To be honest the best gift i got was when they asked me to do it. I love both gifts and couldent care less about the value. Nether will he.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t know what he is doing for his ushers.

A hand-job from the bride should suffice…

Nico
    Free Member

Get ’em all a torch from DX.

DrJ

A hand-job from the bride should suffice…

Nicer to give him something he hasn't had before, shurely ??

nbt

I'm thinking something along the lines of a Ti29er inbred. Are you reading this, Rod? Just the frame will be enough for Ushers, full bike for besat man (they'll have to share it since there's 2 of them) 😆

stcolin
    Free Member

I was best man back in May and got a very nice Cross pen with the date engraved, as did the other lads in the groom party. Was well chuffed, and I use it everyday in work.

TooTall
    Free Member

Don't get 'best man' cufflinks – cos you can't really wear them again.

If you buy hip flasks, get them with the captive lid – I won't use the one I got as a best man for fear of the lid vanishing into undergrowth on a night ride.

nuke

Earlier this year I was give a Prince Albert frame for being best man if thats of any help 😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Gifts for Ushers and Best Man’ is closed to new replies.