Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ghetto tubeless question
  • WEJ

After a couple of pinch flats last week, I fancy trying ghetto tubeless. I’ve got some Stans sealant, but only have 24″ tubes (for 26″ wheels) will they be tight enough or should I get some 20″ tubes or use Gaffer tape? Tyres are Rocket Rons.

Thanks,

mtbfix

Friend of mine ghetto’ed his bike with 24s.

My nonUST Rocket Rons went up a treat, albeit on a tubeless rim.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

before I went full tubeless I used 20″ inners, I would be hesitant using 24″ personally..

I wouldn’t use gaffer tape, just split the inner down the seam after you’ve mounted it to the rim and ensure you have equal amount wrapped over rim each side. After you’ve mounted the tyre trim the excess with kraft knife and off you go. I had less ‘burping’ on ghetto tubeless than I did on proper tubeless

WEJ

Thanks for the replies. I’ll try and get a 20″ tomorrow, otherwise I’ll use the 24″
    WEJ

sugdenr
    Free Member

I always use the stan’s rimtape and valves, depends on the rim though -there’s a compatability table on the stans site. The cost is nothing when you compare to cost of expensive german tyres

My non UST Rocket Rons went up east and required little sealing with the milk.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

sugdenr:

It’s ‘ghetto’ tubeless and as such you use the inner tube as rim tape and valve…

sugdenr
    Free Member

It’s ‘ghetto’ tubeless and as such you use the inner tube as rim tape and valve…

Yup, fair enough, it’s just that I dont understand it, you dont use ghetto milk plus using expensive schwable tyres – not really true ‘ghetto’, as in cheap as possible, is it.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Tape method worked fine on my bontrager rims – no faff trimming down tubes, and easier to change a tyre. Both methods work well though

Rickos
    Free Member

Try and get Schwalbe bmx tubes as they have a removable core making it a doddle to out the spooge in.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto tubeless question’ is closed to new replies.