Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Getting tyres onto a Stans Crest rim.
  • widge34
    Free Member

Is there a easy way / technique to getting tyres onto Stans Crests rims? I’ve really struggled to get both High Rollers and Bonty mud x on. I’ve had to use hot soapy water and brut force, but I won’t be able to do this out on the trails.

The tyres I have are wired. Would folding tyres be easy to get on?

alfabus
    Free Member

no problems with my crests.

are you getting the bead properly down into the drop channel all the way around before you try to get the last bit over?

watch videos on the notubes website to see the man himself make it look easy.

Dave

dday

I struggled too, with used and new rubber. Eventually got the new set on, (tubeless) all I can say is I hope I never have to do it on the trail. Right buggers to get on. They seem to have a bit of a reputation in this regard.

sam_underhill

are you getting the bead properly down into the drop channel all the way around before you try to get the last bit over?

What alfabus said. It really is a technique thing. When you get it right you mostly don’t need tyre levers. It’s taken me ages to work this out.

mattjg
    Free Member

My Mud X folders went on (tubeless) easy.

widge34
    Free Member

Any recommendations for some descent tyre levers

P20

I’ve fitted mudx, advantage and nobby nics to crests. From memory some may have needed tyre levers, but nothing too bad

Rickos
    Free Member

I’ve got some gert big metal DH tyre levers you could borrow, but they tend to take the paint off rims. I find folding tyres much easier to get on than wire though.

widge34
    Free Member

Cheers Rick. First thing to do is change the rim strip, the Superstar tape is s**t. Then maybe gets some descent tyre levers and some folding tyres. Thinking about new tyres anyway.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Think it says on stans site there rims are Ment to be used with folding tyres but not ust or tubeless ready ones.
    But as above it’s mostly just practice

4ags4
    Free Member

Try starting opposite the valve (if using a tube), and ensure the bead is correctly seated in the trough as you go round – should go on with just a bit of hard thumb pressure when you reach the valve.
    Inflate to hard to ensure the beads seat correctly on the inner edges of the rim walls.
    Deflate to required pressure.

Found this works pretty well with Crests

widge34
    Free Member

Ok cheers Guys. Next question. Any Recommendations for a set of folding tyres? Have been looking at the Continental Mountain King II 2.2 Black Chilli compound

sam_underhill

Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 Exo Kevlar here. No problems setting up tubeless with some stans to make the sidewalls less porous. Pretty light and fast rolling.

I’m itching to try some MKII black chillis though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Getting tyres onto a Stans Crest rim.’ is closed to new replies.