Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Getting fitter vs losing weight…
  • jam-bo

I know the two are generally linked, but it occurred to me today whilst hauling my overweight ass up a hill, if I lost 10% body mass and stayed at the same level of aerobic capacity, would I be 10% faster up that hill?

b17
    Free Member

yes.

probably more than 10% faster…

crikey
    Free Member

How much weight does 10% represent?

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’ve gotten fitter in the last six months, put on weight, and now need to buy new trousers as i’ve lost 2 inches off my waist.

jam-bo

How much weight does 10% represent?

185lbs ish at the moment, good fighting weight for me is 160ish.

crikey
    Free Member

If the hill was 2 kms long…

and was a 20% slope (ie 1 in 5)

and you weighed 75 kgs, and lost 7.5 kgs,

you would get up 2 minutes quicker, or you would beat your old self by 200 metres.

crikey
    Free Member

…but that’s a 2 km 1 in 5 hill; not exactly common…

Up a 100 metre climb, of 1 in 10, you’d be 3 seconds quicker.

oldgit
    Free Member

you would get up 2 minutes quicker, or you would beat your old self by 200 metres.

Blimey o’Reiley

xcentric
    Free Member

much more. 10% less weight is 10% faster from physics, but you’d effectively convert some weight in fat to weight in muscle, so you’d be at least 10% stronger as well, so you’d have more power to accelerate less mass. If you got to 20%, you’d probably be at the top before your old self had swung a leg over the saddle 🙂

Spud

Like Capt John, I’m puzzled how I’m putting weight on, getting slimmer/ changing body shape (for the better) but getting a lot fitter.

themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

That’s because muscle is heavier than fat, by volume (ie. more dense).

CaptJon
    Free Member

Spud – Member
    Like Capt John, I’m puzzled

Speak for yourself. I get it, but it is costly… well, it would be if Howies had any stock!

cakefacesmallblock

I’ve now been back to riding regularly ( hilly, offroad, twice a week at least for 15 months now). Never been a big bloke and never spent weekends sat on my arse , but was 74kgs, began riding regularly and am still 74kgs, however, as opposed to being a bit uncomy with 32″ waist jeans, could now happily try 30″.
    I can also now happily ride my “benchmark” circuit a good bit more quickly. A year back, I needed the granny ring for one bit of it , but not even close to changing down now. I really have enjoyed getting this level of fitness back too.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering this too. I spent a while getting a lot fitter on my bike, riding more and drinking recovery protein drinks. The calories in the protein drink means it’s not the best way to lose fat, but my power and endurance have increased markedly. To lose 10% of your weight in just fat alone is pretty difficult (unless you’re a massive fatty).

I decided to stop worrying, clearly the answer either way is ride more.

robbo
    Free Member

Weirdly I’ve been training hard and watching my diet for months an found wasn’t losing any weight. So my back goes and can’t do any exercise for three weeks an now find I’ve lost 6 lbs!!! Probably muscle wastage but I’d like to keep it off if possible. So I’m getting less fit but losing weight. Weird.

Spud

Sorry Capt John, I meant the exercise and increase in weight bit. Not you were puzzled.

oldgit
    Free Member

I really really need to loose some weight, but quite frankly I can’t be arsed.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Getting fitter vs losing weight…’ is closed to new replies.